“Location, location, location!”

Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto, Canada
“Location, location, location!”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I spent two nights at the ByWard Blue Inn in January 2012 and was quite pleased.

THE LOCATION was perfect! It was close to everything! Walking distance from the National Art Gallery, Ottawa Convention Centre, Rideau Centre, ByWard Market, National Arts Centre, Parliament Hill, University of Ottawa, Rideau Canal and a lot of boutiques, galleries, cafes, restaurants and pubs!

MY ROOM had a simple layout and was clean. It was not luxurious but I had all that I needed: a comfortable bed, a kitchenette, a TV, free Internet, a telephone, a closet and a bathroom with a tub. During my stay, it was really quiet and I had a great night’s sleep. I was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel with access to a patio. The room was cold and I had to crank the thermostat on my first night, which didn't do much at first but it slowly became warmer throughout the night. I had to use the additional blanket in order to keep warm but then again it was really cold when I visited Ottawa (minus 30's with the wind chill factor).

THE KITCHENETTE with microwave and mini-fridge was really appreciated. In the cupboards you could find plates, bowls, glasses, wine glasses, mugs and utensils. There was also a coffee machine and coffee packets with sugar.

THE BREAKFAST was more than I had expected. There was cold and hot options: muffins, toast, jam, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, hot and cold milk, fruits, eggs, ham and home fries.

THE STAFF was really courteous and helpful. When I noticed that the coffee machine in my room wasn't working, the man at reception took the broken machine out of my room and less than five minutes later, another nice staff member came to my room with a new coffee maker.

I would recommend the ByWard Blue Inn for its price, service and great location.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Busy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ottawa
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Great location, very clean, breakfast and tea time were lovely! I didn't want to leave this review for fear of making the Inn too popular :) Noise levels were a little high, but could be due to proximity to the elevator.

Room Tip: Avoid room next to elevator if possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoVee
Hamilton
Reviewed 21 February 2012

What a terrific, quaint, affordable, and convenient place to stay in Ottawa. While not luxurious by the 4 & 5 Star standards it is CLEAN and COMFORTABLE and exceeds any 3 star place I've stayed at before. The room had everything one could ask for (Fridge, Microwave, Coffee pot, television, an extremely comfortable bed, free internet access and a hot breakfast). The one item that really stood out was the Customer Service by ALL staff. Talk about making you feel wanted, these people are terrific. They display the utmost sincerity and are incredibly helpful. What a treat it was to stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LovetoTravel6361
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Staff were very pleasant and helpful. I liked my room except I found the floor a bit dirty... I was wearing socks& when I pit my feet up on the white bed some nasty dirt and the odd hair came off. Ew. The breakfast wasn't great, but it was a treat to have free coffee& snacks at their afternoon tea time.
They have a sauna which was lovely to book free of charge, and you really can't beat the location, it's perfect. Overall I would come back.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Lauren1818
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I completely agree with Bill M's review. The place is very clean and comfortable. I also did the blind bargain from Expedia. We have a 2 twin-beds room. The beds are European sizes. They are not suitable for big size people, we are small size people so that's not a problem. The staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly. It could be because it's January, the place is quiet. There were street noises, but that's not the hotel's fault. We rather enjoyed the hotel being 3 star, which means we didn't have to pay for local phone call, internet access charges at the 5 star places. The hotel tried very hard to provided everything from umbrellas, to free internet. The person who complained about the cleanliness of the hotel must have a bad day. The complimentary breakfast was kind of cold and the selections limited, but we didn't expect it. The microwave and small fridge are nice to have. This is the nicest 3-star hotel that we have ever stayed at. The location is excellent. The are is central located right in Byward market with numerous restaurants, bakery, and interesting shops. We definitely recommend the hotel for the price and service.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple