“SKIP IT!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Reviewed 3 October 2014

Doormen and bouncers seem to be on power trips. They are very aggressive and intimidating even before you get in to the bar. Bar staff range from aloof and condescending at best to extremely rude at worst. Overall an unpleasant experience.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I'd heard about thus place many times and was very excited to go along with my friends. The outside looked in need of a fix but we went in anyway. A huge mistake, the inside was worse than the outside, the staff were unpleasant and rude, and in one case threatening, for no reason. Would not go again, a huge disappointment, should not be rated this highly.

4  Thank Jenny W
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went to see John Ottway here and wasn't disappointed.Lead in group, Belle Regards was excellent as well. High energy, fun and great music.
Sound and lighting were good but could have used a little more seating.
Friendly spot, good array of refreshments. There was a cover but I feel
we received great value. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Went there two times. First was "Towel Day", which if you don't know, is an event related to the H2G2 novels by Douglas Adams. We thought it would attract many people to the bar but, around 10 o'clock on a saturday evening, the place was pretty much empty. We were a group of four and we got to sit in a corner, on a high bench facing a table, which was cool. They played mostly awesome New Wave hits so we had a great time anyways. Second time was yesterday evening, with my sweetheart. We were there from 11:30 'til 1:30, and the vibe was way better! The place was filled with people of all ages (early 20's - 40-ish), many different type of persons as well (some with elaborate stylish clothing, others straight casual) and a great range of electronic music. The dance floor and bar areas were packed, actually at some point there was a line-up outside.

Drink-wise, beers are honestly priced. I would not advise you to get the "Pangalactic Gargle Blaster"; its name is fun & everything, but at 8$, the joke isn't worth it. It is so sweet you'll feel nauseous half-way through it. Instead, if you want to get something from the special H2G2 menu, I'd suggest you try the "Slartibartfast". It remains a sweet-type of cocktail, but it is refreshing and good to the taste.

If you do fancy a cheap night out without any pretention & don't need to spend time in an immaculately decorated loungy-kind of club, then this bar might be just the right place for you.

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I've visited Zaphods on several occasions during my time living in Ottawa and have never had a problem here. This place is a much better club than most of the others in this city, and especially those in the Market. I am never bothered by guys trying to grind up against me while I'm dancing, and on the one occasion I was asked to leave (with reason) I was gently directed to the door. The music is always good, but the dance floor does get crowded and hot on the weekend. Cover is standard $5, same price for a domestic bottle of beer. I'm fairly sure they're honest with their alcohol pours, and some of the house drinks are pretty darn delicious. I'd say avoid the Pangalactic Gargle Blaster though (despite it's infamous name) and go for something else on the menu.
I also greatly appreciate sometimes seeing Star Wars on their projector screen, over a hockey game, but I did recently see that there as well.