“Dinner”

Ranked #98 of 2,952 Restaurants in Ottawa
Price range: USD 6 - USD 14
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fauna is about the things we love: eating and drinking with friends and family in a fun space. Our menu is seasonally driven and we support local farmers and producers wherever possible. We love the neighborhood and the space and are so happy to be open in Centretown. The food We like to have fun in the kitchen. We serve small plates so you can try more than one dish. We use local ingredients wherever possible. We're inspired by where we live, places we've been and things we'd like to do. The drinks We enjoy drinking while we eat and will offer a wine and cocktail menu with local drafts. We'll stay open later in the evening Thursday-Saturday for drinks and late night bites... The space A lot of love went into designing the space. We spent 2 years designing, sourcing products, and renovating 425 Bank Street. We wanted to take the concept of using sustainable and local products into the design as well. We have worked with some amazing professionals, vendors, and producers including Linebox Studios who designed the space, Inter_ex our General Contractor, Interversion in Montreal who made all of the tables and banquette(in Drummondville, Quebec), the Modern Shop on Sussex who helped us with our lights and downstairs tables, a Modern Space on Wellington helped us with our amazingly comfortable chairs and bar stools, Gusto Metalworks, who built our beautiful Zinc bar and Le Collectif Design who did an amazing job with our icons and branding. There are a ton of talented people around us and we have loved working with them to make fauna what it is. We also have a private room that is available and can seat 20 people.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Dinner was one of the best steak dinners. 80 day aged steak is excellent. It's 80$ and feeds two. Haven't tried anything else. But that steak is fantastic.

1  Thank MattCrooker

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Ate here while on a business trip and thought given the reviews I would give it a try. I ordered Parsnip soup and the Shoulder of Lamb. Firstly, it's about 10 mins walk from the main downtown area, but easy to find. The décor and large windows give it a very contemporary and light feel. The Parsnip soup was very average, I have had better, and was not offered any bread to go with it. I don't know if that was deliberate or not, but I think customers should be offered the choice. The lamb was much better, nicely cooked and tender. The plates are on the small size, so there was plenty of room for desert or maybe have a few sides. The service was courteous without being overfamiliar.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

The restaurant location is great and the restaurant itself has a great atmosphere with nice decor and a good aesthetic. The staff was friendly and attentive as well. We were seated immediately, they leave water on the table so you don't have to wait for them to refill it, but they still check on you anyway which is nice. The menu is very interesting with a lot of unique dishes and I love the approach of updating the menu seasonally. Unfortunately, I was really disappointed by the food. My burger was burnt on the outside and quite dry and to me personally, the flavors didn't quite mesh and my fries were very greasy and under salted. I feel like for a restaurant that charges this much, everything sent out of the kitchen should be impeccable and was thus further disappointed by my meal.

Reviewed 18 February 2018

My dinner partner had eaten here twice before and really enjoyed the food. I was looking forward to the meal. I was a little underwhelmed! My dinner partner agreed that the food this night was not on point. Not sure what happened in the kitchen. The food was ok but not anything I got excited by. The lamb lacked any hint of robust flavor, the cod had no dramatic flavour. The decor was very pleasant, the wait staff were very friendly. No complaints here. Frankly there are other choices I would make for the value received. Might try one more time but it could the the last.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

The service and ambiance at this place was great. The good ends there. The portions are extremely small considering the prices of the plates we ordered (35$ for 3 small, thin slices of lamb?). What rendered this even more disappointing was the fact that all 3 of us ordered different plates, yet none of us were impressed with the flavours. We ordered two desserts and had to return one of them - which we don't usually do - as none of us wanted to eat it. They were nice enough not to charge us for that dessert. Simply overpriced for the experience.