“Decent diner food”

Meadows Lunch
Ranked #732 of 2,981 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed 6 April 2018

After arriving in Ottawa and before heading to the ice dragon boat practice run, we stopped by Meadows Diner on Preston Street in Ottawa’s Little Italy for some quick food. It was cold outside and I was craving for something heavy and carby so I got their poutine while K got the Reuben Sandwich with salad.

Meadows Diner is a small casual diner where there was one lady working behind the counter. We were anxious to get a few bites in before having to arrive at Dows Lake Pavilion to get ready for the practice. Luckily, the food did arrive within 3 minutes or so.

I liked the cheese curds and gravy in the poutine.

I liked the Reuben Sandwich.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

This place makes an excellent breakfast (their choice is very good by the way) and it is prepared in front of your eyes if you sit at the breakfast bar. Everything is fresh. The place is small, so you may have to wait during the especially busy Friday and weekend breakfast period, but it is worth the wait! The owner and his mother offer top-notch and personable service, however, they employ another tall, slim fellow who does not seem to care about serving clients, but instead was using his cell phone most of the time when our group was there visiting Ottawa in February. Since he was the only one who didn't seem to fit in with the others, we will nonetheless recommend that you eat here when in Ottawa (and hope that one employee gets some more training!).

Reviewed 12 November 2016

Been going here for years forward breakfast. They have kept things the same as the previous owner regarding the food. Great job on the renovations which were badly needed. Been thinking about trying their lunch and we finally did that today. Both our lunches were bland...sauce was tasteless as was the chicken. Fries were nothing great. Will stick to breakfast which I know is good.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

For the price point Meadows is decent. The breakfast food and coffee are pretty average, but if you want to start the day by watching sports highlights while drinking something hot then it plays well.

Meadows could improve by having more cordial service and cooking their potatoes longer.

Thank J. W
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

I'm a fussy Eggs Benedict eater. I like eggs but can't stand them runny. Seriously grosses me out. I always request the eggs cooked hard. Sometimes they arrive that way but not always.

Met friends here for brunch on the basis of good reviews we saw online. I ordered the Benny with Ham, the classic. The place was busy on a weekend morning and service was not quick ... but it was pleasant enough, and coffee was refilled while waiting.

A note on that coffee refill: a child was helping out this busy morning, so he was bringing hot coffee around and interacting with customers. Of course he hasn't yet developed social graces so interactions tended to be uncomfortable and amusing.

My Benny with Ham arrived and the eggs were cooked perfectly! A bit thin on the ham but it wasn't that prefab circle of it. The hollandaise sauce was delicious and there was plenty of it! Still, the crunch on the toasted English muffin came through.

The home fries it comes with are truly home fries: chopped, non-uniform bits of potato fried up with onion. No Tater Tots here; no secret coatings. Also on the side was a ramekin of fresh fruit (honeydew melon, canteloupe, grapes). The coffee was good.

A friend had the Benny with Chicken; unfortunately she found it lacked flavour. We wondered if possibly the blander flavour of chicken doesn't hold up well to the hollandaise. Ham has a stronger more noticeable flavour and can stand up to Hollandaise.

I'm a big fan of diners, and this small, busy place really impressed. Around for ages apparently! Will go back and try the pancakes next time!

2  Thank H G