“Good little hotel for an overnight stay.”
Review of Swiss Hotel

Swiss Hotel
Ranked #33 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Visited this hotel, after reading reviews on trip advisor.

Useful info (I didn't see it in other reviews before leaving), even if the small parking near the hotel is full, there also only a block away, another paid parking available.

In our case, we parked near the hotel with no issues.

Be aware that the bathroom is really small, really.

Other than that, this is a great location and a lot better service than in the Days Inn we stayed previously in Ottawa.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 7171_11

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Sabine jus makes unique the experience of Swiss Hotel. The rooms are superclean and confortable. The beds are great. And the best comes in the morning, with a delicious, complete and home-made breakfast. Excelent choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Aurea M
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We were greeted with the friendliest smile and complete knowledge of everything in the area. She had us excited we just arrived. We were there for winterlude but because of the warm weather most things closed. It didn't matter because the hotel is within walking distance of everything. And when done we cuddled up with the fire going in the room and a glass of wine. Which was also picked up from the massive LCBO down the street with a great vintage selection. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank tripprincess23
Reviewed 3 February 2012

1) Location, Location, Location-5 blocks to Fairmont Chateau Laurier which is the center of the action. Walk from Cumberland to Rideau St. and then down to the Chateau which is on the Rideau Canal, or 2 blocks before you get there, make a right into the Byward Market (Over 120 restaurants and quaint shops) for more fun action. IF you instead walk down Daly Ave., indeed, as others have posted, you may run into rif raf; no biggee. There was a button on the room phones for you to call a taxi and they were there in 5-10 mins max!

2) The hotel has a B&B feel and the hostess, Sabina, is incredibly friendly and accommodating. There are some ala carte offerings such as parking $12/d & breakfast $15/d, but we opted out of both; besides, have you seen how modern hotels are ripping people off these days with extra hidden mandatory "resort fees?" It is true that there is no elevator so beware that you'll need to haul your luggage potentially up 3 flights of stairs. Do it once on the way in and once on the way out and your done. Get some exercise or go find a nice Canadian kid who will do it for you. I do wish they had a microwave for late night popcorn, but apparently they don't have those in Swiss Chalets so I was ok with that.

3) We purposely chose the 3rd (top) floor so we wouldn't have anybody walking "on top" of us. Our room was quiet and though the hotel was full, we never heard anyone else while we were in the room. The place is tucked into a residential street and we did not hear any traffic in the room either. Nothing special with the view, but pleasant.

4) The room was recently redecorated clean, comfortable and lovely. I concur with another poster who said, "The room was small in its horizontal dimensions but it did have high ceilings making it feel more roomy." Interesting that the only real storage space was a small trunk in our closet; I think that is the only thing I would recommend be changed so you don't have to live out of your suitcase or with clothes strewn about on end tables or window sills. Each room has an iPad and an approximate 42" flat screen TV with plenty of channels. The FREE WiFi was strong and easy to connect with. The bed was a Queen and very nice.

5) The bathroom was AMAZING! The sink & vanity was all made from one piece of glass and the faucet hardware was a farmer-trough-like with the water flowing open on the top; loved it! But then that did not bring me as much pleasure as the with ceiling rain-forest walk in shower which had both excellent water pressure and plenty of hot water!

Room Tip: Their web sites shows you all the different options. We chose top floor for less chance of people w...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DrTaras
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The Swiss Hotel is a very nice small hotel. My room appeared to have been recently (and nicely) renovated. The room was small in its horizontal dimensions but it did have high ceilings making it feel more roomy. The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom had a great shower and the tiles were coloured glass - very nice. I stayed four nights and it was quiet. I felt that I had my privacy there too. Also, because I stayed four nights I got an excellent discounted rate for Ottawa ($90/night). This lower rate didn't include breakfast but on the day I checked out I did have breakfast there for $15 - it was very good with lots of variety. The location is very convenient. There was a nice flat-screen TV and good cable coverage. There was even an ipad in the room for my use (but I had my own). Their web site indicated that one could take the #97 bus from the airport to the hotel which I did for $3.25 instead of a $30+ cab fare. The bus dropped me off at the back of the Rideau Centre and the hotel was only a couple of blocks walk from there. I will definitely stay here again and will recommend it to colleagues and others who travel to Ottawa.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business