“Niagara-on-the-Lake Gem”
Review of Treadwell

Treadwell
Reserve with OpenTable
Treadwell is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: USD 20 - USD 45
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Victoria St
Description: Since opening in May 2006, Treadwell has become one of Canada's most critically acclaimed restaurants. Located in the heart of Niagara on the Lake, Treadwell's "Farm-to-Table" philosophy allows Chef-Owner Stephen Treadwell to showcase the very best of seasonal produce from Niagara and Southwestern Ontario. The wine list, created by Sommelier-Owner James Treadwell, is often regarded as Canada's finest for Ontario wines. Please check our Special Events page for a variety of unique events held at the restaurant.
Reviewed 22 May 2018

Wonderful attention to detail, excellent service, perfect pairing of wine with dinner. The restaurant is steps from the theatre in an excellent location. Would highly recommend Treadwell.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

They’ve expanded the restaurant into space that was once part of Maple Fudge, a tradition in Niagara in the Lake at one time. Farm to table fresh with whatever is in season. So they changed the menu slightly to accommodate freshly available asparagus for a salad and the side to a main dish. My two starters were sufficient for my supper. It even allowed me to enjoy some cheeses afterward rather than a sweet course. Great sommelier to help you choose the best wine to pair with your choice of entree. A bit pricey but very enjoyable and also reliable for a wonderful meal.

Reviewed 18 May 2018

We recently took a trip to Niagara Falls for our 30th wedding anniversary. Due to the lack of any real fine dining in Niagara Falls we took the short trip to Treadwell, Niagara-on-the-Lake. We are so happy we did. All aspects of our dinner were great. The Farm to table aspect is well done and obvious. I loved that they had a Lake Erie Pickerel on the menu not something you can get everywhere, unfortunately they ran out before I could order.
Food:The food was absolutely delicious,perfectly prepared, unique yet familiar.
Service: All the people there are warm and friendly, the sommelier was excellent and helped us pick out a very nice Canadian wine as we had no idea Canada had such an active wine culture other than Ice wine.
Setting: The restaurant is beautiful and unpretentious. It could get loud if they have a larger party.
Note:We had stop in a local pub before our dinner. The people there recommended sitting at the counter. Not something we wanted to do for a 30th Anniversary dinner, but we did and thoroughly enjoyed it.Watching th food being prepared just added another layer to the experience. I recommend it.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

This lovely restaurant features wonderful staff, a lovely serene atmosphere and the most incredible meals! I had the gnocchi in a subtle tomato and spinach sauce and my companion had the lobster blt! Soooo good. I also treated myself to dessert....i think it was with buckthorn fruits...not sure, but equally tasty. Great service....timely , as we were heading across the street to the Royal George for theatre ( also the play Stage Kiss should not be missed).

Reviewed 15 May 2018

Our daughter had strongly recommended this restaurant on our next trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake, so my wife and I took her advice of a very cold late January night, and found it to be an excellent recommendation. Upon being greeted the staff whisked our overcoats away, leaving us to enjoy the evening unburdened and in greatest comfort.

We luckily were placed at the bar overlooking the cooking area (which I enjoy, because I always get to learn something new), and it was an education watching the chefs preparing various meals including ours. The chefs were very pleasant and since we were there before things got busy, they had some time to explain our dishes and the preparation.
While definitely not inexpensive, the food was really sublime, and very inventive. My wife had a dish with a side of perfect fried mushrooms, many of which were uniquely flavoured (ie... NOT the usual bunch of fried button mushrooms, there were mushrooms in the mix I doubt we've tried before - delicious and intriguing). The wait staff very pleasant and attentive without hovering. My wife had a perfect veal dish and I had lovely crispy but tender chicken.
If one wants the occasional special night out, one could do dramatically worse than a dinner at Treadwell, and we'll be sure to go again for a special evening. Highly recommended.