“Don't bother unless you have an hour to wait for food!!”

Maria's Fish and Chips & Eatery
Ranked #138 of 265 Restaurants in Brantford
Price range: USD 10 - USD 26
Description: Whether your looking for traditional F&C or our Fish Sandwiches and other seafood delights Maria's Fish and Chips is a popular Brantford destination. Halibut, Perch, Cod, Haddock, Pollock, Shrimp, Clams, Calamari, Scallops.
Reviewed 26 June 2017

I went into Maria's Fish and Chips with my son 06/23. My son had karate and I wanted to grab him something to eat. Good thing we had left early, as we entered the restaurant an hour and 15 mins before his class. The waitress asked if we would like to start off with drinks, which she would bring us 20 mins later. A couple entered the restaurant at least 10-15 mins after us, which they got their food first (which I may add I have never experienced at any restaurant before. How could a couple and 2 children's meals cook faster then my one piece cod and my sons pogo and fries??) I would have left if my son had not been starving!!! The food was overdone and gross, my son's pogo was burnt and not edible! about 50 mins after we ordered we finally got our order. while we were eating the cook came out to ask us if we were the ones who had ordered food??? While wiping the sweat away from his brow! To say I was disgusted is an understatement, very gross and unprofessional to say the least. Mine and my sons meal came to almost $20, and it wasn't eve worth $5! Food was greasy and overcooked!!! Would never ever go back to this place or recommend. One of worst experiences I've had in 7 years of living here. Save yourself time and money and go to KFC

Maria C, Manager at Maria's Fish and Chips & Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

I was helping in the kitchen for this order and brought the food up to the front for the server to take. None of the food was burnt. I am not sure why this women came on Tripadvisor to lie to everyone. The server was a little late bringing out her drinks, but the food didn't take anywhere near an hour. She also has a poor understanding of how food cooks in a deep fryer and assumes that all food and orders have the same cooking time.

I wish tripadvisor would be a little more respectful of small businesses. I think that is the general feeling everyone is having.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

Have suffrered through two ownership changes and the last shows how downhill a place can get. The cashier seemed very confused, they got our order wrong and we ended up waiting for 45 minutes for a takeout. Haddock was overcooked, dry and the batter burnt as well as the fries. Apparently everyone involved needs either further time to get better at what they are trying to do or lessons from someone who knows the business.

Maria C, Public Relations Manager at Maria's Fish and Chips & Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2017

We are sorry for your experience and this is something that we will have to look into and learn from to ensure a higher quality product for our customers. The cooking process is fairly strict. The fries are cooked fresh to order and we take pride in ensuring that the fish is cooked to the same standard every time, though we must admit that mistakes do happen. We suspect that you were in the store near the end of an oil cycle and that your order may have had a darker appearance, but we understand that your personal preference may be for a lighter batter. Haddock is a bit drier(holds less water) of a fish so a slight overcook can result in a very unpleasant texture and our business is literally doing our absolute best to avoid this.

Please express your personal preferences to us the next time you order and we can make sure it comes out the way that you want it to. Please consider giving us another chance and adding your experience to this review afterwords.

Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

Read a few reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. Not dissapointed in the food or the service. Quality fish and chips are hard to find so im always a skeptic. Portions are generous, fish is crisp with a moist delicious inside. Chips were perfectly done too.
We ate till we were stuffed but could not finish.

Reviewed 29 November 2016

I have been to enjoy the best fish and chips in town several times since the ownership change. These young guys have changed the batter to be a more authentic English style which has lots of flavor and remains crispy. the portion sizes age very generous and the service is excellent.

Fred

Reviewed 28 August 2016

Place was never good until the last time I stopped in here about a week ago with a few friends on my way to a music festival. I gotta say, this place was great! The food was delicious, the portions were so satisfactory that we had to take some to go, and the staff were very friendly. We were all left happy and full when we left Maria's Fish & Chips.