“The most amazing sanctuary you will ever find!”

Spicers Sangoma Retreat
Sydney, Australia
“The most amazing sanctuary you will ever find!”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I third visit to Sangoma and what can I say to give this exquisite place the justice it deserves!

It is our favorite holiday destination. The rooms are amazingly luxurious, romantic yet homey. This was our second stay in the bush suite and it's gotta be my favorite.
The main house is gorgeous with it's sophisticated yet quirky interior that just sparkles during the evening dinners!

Thanks to the very talented zenga! The food is the most delicious you'll honestly ever eat! Things I never thought I'd eat I've fallen in lOve with.

Michael has this amazing ability to make you feel like old family members coming together for a catch up. Along with princess punda n prince Chaka and prince griffin (their adorable pet dog and cats) adds to the family like experience.
And with all this love you still have time to chill, and rejuvenate in the many quiet spaces available.

I would deffinently recommend Sangoma to everyone who are food lovers and want a genuine weekend getaway which ticks all the right boxes!

Can not wait for my fourth visit!

• Stayed March 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Sydney
Reviewed 20 March 2012

As a group of four we recently spent a weekend at Sangoma Retreat.
We booked it as it appealed as a luxury stay, close to Sydney, with a focus on food and relaxation.

It was all that and much more.

I understand Sangoma is South African for Witch Doctor / Healer. I think my definition would be “inspiration”.

From the wonderful architecture and layout of the retreat, to the incredible furnishings and artwork that adorned the walls and filled the rooms, you couldn’t but be impressed and inspired by the use of color, texture and light.

Special thanks to Zenga, whose genuine passion for top quality, beautiful food made the meals an absolute highlight and inspired a non-foodie to celebrate his use of natural and healthy ingredients.

Michael’s humor and warmth, and love of what of he does is infectious and you cannot help but be moved by it.

Whilst there is plenty of space to escape, relax and have alone-time, we found ourselves drawn into their world of design, music, humor, wonderful food and of course, their loving pets (as much a part of the retreat as the hosts themselves).

Somewhere over the course of the weekend it felt like it changed from being guests at a beautiful retreat, to being with new friends, who just happened to have a fabulous home.

I applaud the commitment of hosts, Michael and Zenga, to follow their dreams, and to share their many passions with their guests.

I look forward to our next visit.

Cheers Aaron

Room Tip: Pool Suite was fantastic, beautifully appointed and close to the main house
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I prayed for the perfect weekend away with my husband and was blessed with Sangoma.
From pure water to tantalizing food, to something as small as soap to bathe. I have been able to soak up the finest details in all I have seen & experienced.
Fine leaves molded in stone pave my way as I walk. I let the cows talk to me!
The birds & music sing to my soul,my heart sings with gratitude for a weekend so blissful.
One huge thanks to Michael & Zenga you guys are truly amazing, inspirational & BLOODY AWESOME!!! Good on you for creating a sanctuary so peaceful.
Sad to leave & look forward to coming back.
Love Yael & Mark x

Room Tip: All the rooms at Sangoma look amazing. We stayed in the Stone suite and enjoyed every moment in ther...
1 Thank Yaellee
Reviewed 28 February 2012

If you are looking for the ultimate escape – look no further. Sangoma is the perfect blend of relaxation, intimacy and luxury. The hosts Michael and Zenga welcome you in like family and Zenga prepares the most delicious, healthy and wholesome meals.
We stayed in the secluded sanctuary of the Bush Suite. There is an open rain shower in the bathroom surrounded by glass walls that look out into the national park, this creates the feeling you are showering within the national park, it is so beautiful. We watched the sun rise from our private balcony and relaxed in our two person bath tub which again looks into the national park from a series of louvered windows, which let the nicest breeze in as you sit in a hot bath.
On Saturday after a morning relaxing around the pool my partner proposed to me in the most amazing setting within the national park (Michael and Zenga helped him with the location), I could not have imagined a more perfect place to have this life changing moment occur. Then to return back to a Kahuna massage at Sangoma which was an out of body experience that everyone must try once in their lives! For me Sangoma was heaven, it’s everything for couples or singles who just need a place to re-centre themselves, re-connect and feed their souls. It’s a unique, beautiful place that as soon as it’s time to leave you’re already planning your next visit back.

1 Thank Katie W
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I went to Sangoma for our 10th wedding anniversary and had the most wonderful weekend! Matt and I have come back completely refreshed and can't wait to return to Sangoma again soon.

Michael and Zenga offer the warmest hospitality, out-of-this world amazing (and healthy) food and absolutely luxurious surroundings (not to mention fabulous doggy kisses from Punda and cuddles from the sleek supermodel cat, Chaka!).

You can't go many places where you are told "you can have as many baths as you like", and "come to dinner in your PJ's if you feel like it" - so we felt very spoilt.

Also a highlight was Jay's kahuna massage - I am recommending that to everyone!

Sangoma is a treat in every way!
Nic & Matt xx

Room Tip: The bush suite is very private with a huge window in front of the shower that makes you feel you are...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowen Mountain
32.9 km away
The George Boutique Hotel
The George Boutique Hotel
#3 of 5 in Blackheath

Been to Spicers Sangoma Retreat? Share your experiences!