“Returned for a delicious dining experience”

Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar
Ranked #6 of 550 Restaurants in Barrie
Price range: USD 7 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: "Fun and relaxed service with a casual flair and exceptional food. Located on Yonge Street, close to the water and downtown core, this upscale restaurant features contemporary cuisine and an extensive wine and cocktail list in a casual but fine dining atmosphere. Barrie's only mixologist, Kevin, can create a drink to please any palate and desire. Beside their beautiful patio, there's an on-site garden where there's a good chance you see the chefs picking fresh veggies and herbs for your meal. Open for lunch Monday to Friday and dinner from Monday to Saturday , they promise to provide a dining experience with such superior quality service and food that you will want to return. Reservations for lunch or dinner are always recommended and appreciated. If you haven't been there at all or even in a while...call and make reservations. You just might find you have a new favourite spot in town."
Reviewed 6 May 2017

Jen greeted us for a fine dinner. They have a new menu with an emphasis on balanced spice and taste. What a delight! I had the Pork Chop which was tender, delicious and moist. Accompanying starch and vegetables was perfect. My spouse had the Duck and found it to be delightful as well. Our shared appetizer was the seared scallops. Perfect, tasteful and artfully presented. We decided to share a piece of their cheesecake, tonight was a triple chocolate slice. Urban Dish food quality is very high. Presentation is artful. Service is attentive and very capable. They have a very good wine selection priced well. Melanie provided us with great guidance tonight. It's been a while since we went out, lots of other life events in the way. Urban Dish is our favourite restaurant in Barrie hands down. If it's a special night this is the place.

Reviewed 1 May 2017

My boyfriend took me here for my birthday dinner on April 28th and it was without a doubt the best meal experience I have had in my life. The waitress Mel was incredible, giving great recommendations & very personable.

They had just changed from their winter to spring menu, and their offerings exceeded expectations for Barrie area. To start our meal we ordered the scallops served with bacon fig jam on top of a chive waffle - AMAZING. I love scallops and my boyfriend had never had them before in his life. Usually he does not like seafood but he tried these and there was almost a fight for the last one.

For dinner I had the duck breast - cooked chef's choice. Having had duck only two times in my life, I have to say it will be very hard for any other duck dinner to compare to it. My boyfriend had the Piri Piri Chicken and could not stop raving about it, saying it was one of the juiciest and flavorful chicken meals he had ever had.

As soon as we left we both agreed that we will be returning here. A wonderful date spot that you leave feeling like you had an experience.

Reviewed 20 April 2017

We have been to Urban Dish many times.... the food is EXCELLENT and the staff and ambience make it an amazing dining experience every time. This restaurant also has a great patio to eat and relax on. You will not be disappointed !

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

I've been twice.
Once in the summer on the patio for barrielicious. The other time in dec as a friend's Christmas get together. ( I wouldn't have gone back, but the friends had never been and they chose the spot)
We found the atmosphere lovely...
But,
The food selection was very limited and very over-priced compared to other local restaurants of similar caliber.
Portions are very small.
No one in our group LOVED their food. It was all "OK"
It's a lot of money for ok food.
Service is good/friendly.
Their sign out front is very tacky with cheesy puns and terrible dad jokes to try to get your attention. I often roll my eyes driving by.
It's never very busy .....

2  Thank Leslie R
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2017

Hi Leslie. Thank you for your feedback. We're happy you enjoyed the atmosphere and service! We strive to provide each and every guest with not only amazing food and service but also an all-around great dining experience. We apologize that you feel we failed to deliver. Your description of the food and menu is certainly not what we normally hear...we're praised for our diverse menu and range of options that appease different palates. As far as the prices go, we're not sure what establishments you compared us to but we are right on par with similar franchises and locally owned restaurants. You wrote the review 4 months after you dined here and we would have liked to have addressed this with you when you dined. We take all comments seriously and appreciate the opportunity to make it better!
You mention that you don't care for our sign and our attempt at getting ones attention. That's the sole reason we have the sign...to get people's attention. Sorry if the humour isn't to your liking...it's part of who we are at Urban Dish (or who we strive to be) unpretentious, casual, and some may say, even pretty funny.
If you're looking for a fine dining experience where one might feel out of place in jeans, or in sudden bursts of laughter, there are other local fine dining spots that would please you. We treat and love our guests (and each other) like family and welcome people as they are. And in our family, that includes a LOT of laughs.

We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention and we hope this hasn't deterred you from coming back. If you ever find the time to do so, kindly contact me at the restaurant and I'll ensure you're well taken care of.

Kindest regards,

Jen

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Excellent food and very solid wine list. Service is 5star. This place is worth checking out for whether it's for a drink or a full dinner.