“Still good, however....”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed 22 March 2017

This has always been one of our favourites for pre-theatre dinners.

However, we did notice the prices had gone up a bit since our last visit, so maybe this will have to be a 'special occasion' place.

Horror upon horrors, we had to send a dish back. The halibut was way overcooked (heat-lamp perhaps??? I can't imagine any chef would serve that). It was handled well by the staff, and the replacement was perfect.
Except that I had to eat my main while my partner was paying the bill - or we would have been late for the theatre.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

My husband and I had dinner at Bistro Le Coq this past Saturday with two other couples. No complaints! The food was excellent and our server was wonderful! Very knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. I would prefer a tenderloin as the cut with the steak frites, but it was cooked perfectly and flavored well.

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

We have subscriptions to Neptune and for the past several years have often had dinner at Bistro le Coq before the shows. Our last experience on March 3 disappointed us to such an extent we are not likely to return.
For one thing, the new menu includes very dramatic price increases, to the point that they are out of line with the quality offered.
More troublesome was the very poor service we received. One member of our party never received her side dish and had to get up repeatedly to look for our server: first to let her know about the missing side dish, then to ask for dessert menus, then to ask for the bills. The server had to bring the bills three times before getting them right. There was never an apology.
I wrote to the management the next day outlining the problems, but never heard back. So, although this was a regular for us, we are sufficiently discouraged to go to other good options in the area.

3  Thank PatDeMeo
Reviewed 8 March 2017

We have been to this restaurant many times as a group of six prior to the theatre, and have found it to be mostly good. However, our last visit (and it will likely be our last visit),our party were surprised to see that their prices had gone up a good deal. The food was fine, although quite modest in portion, with one dish not arriving.
Our server knew in advance that we needed to leave promptly after the meal as we were going to the theatre. However, we had to send the bill back three times due to mistakes, and it took a long time to rectify this. What bothers me most in these situations is the almost surly attitude of servers, no apologies for mistakes made. It felt as if we were the ones causing an inconvenience. That is sufficient to make us take our business elsewhere in a City where there is plenty of competition and choices. Shame.

1  Thank Lynnekovan
Reviewed 6 March 2017

I ordered the Steak Frites, at $32., because the waitress described how this was a particularly good cut of beef, cut fresh today. It was expensive, but I felt like splurging.
What a shame! The steak was over-cooked - I'd asked for medium rare - and it was tough. If I'd ordered this meal for $15 elsewhere, I might not have been so disappointed. But this was one of the most expensive dishes on the menu.
I won't be back.