“Disappointing Service”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed 8 March 2017

We have been to this restaurant many times as a group of six prior to the theatre, and have found it to be mostly good. However, our last visit (and it will likely be our last visit),our party were surprised to see that their prices had gone up a good deal. The food was fine, although quite modest in portion, with one dish not arriving.
Our server knew in advance that we needed to leave promptly after the meal as we were going to the theatre. However, we had to send the bill back three times due to mistakes, and it took a long time to rectify this. What bothers me most in these situations is the almost surly attitude of servers, no apologies for mistakes made. It felt as if we were the ones causing an inconvenience. That is sufficient to make us take our business elsewhere in a City where there is plenty of competition and choices. Shame.

1  Thank Lynnekovan

Reviewed 6 March 2017

I ordered the Steak Frites, at $32., because the waitress described how this was a particularly good cut of beef, cut fresh today. It was expensive, but I felt like splurging.
What a shame! The steak was over-cooked - I'd asked for medium rare - and it was tough. If I'd ordered this meal for $15 elsewhere, I might not have been so disappointed. But this was one of the most expensive dishes on the menu.
I won't be back.

Reviewed 2 March 2017

I selected the gnocchi, which I agree is delicious; my husband had the duck and also enjoyed it. We will definitely enjoy a meal here again when we are in Halifax.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

The gnocchi is really delicious! The service is great and the restaurant has an enjoyable atmosphere!

Reviewed 1 February 2017

A first time visit to Bistro Le Coq proved to be a delightful experience. It was a frigid January evening so the warm and cozy rustic décor was a welcome sight after a brisk walk from our hotel. Our waitress was both efficient and personable. She spoke fluent French, which not only gave me the opportunity to engage in my mother tongue but added to the theme of this restaurant. Her knowledge of menu options was thorough which helped us make judicious selections: escargot and tuna tartare starters, duck confit salad, crepe du jour and veal blanquette - all well prepared and presented. Our waitress provided discreet and timely wine service. We found the prices reasonable and overall good value.

1  Thank lahave