All reviews lake banook front desk staff atlantic superstore albert road breakfast room decent spot showing signs of wear homemade biscuits wifi speed first name basis special thanks hotel bar charming hotel glass jars small touches small pub hot breakfast was delicious
Reviewed 17 September 2018

My wife and I recently took a trip in August 2018 to Nova Scotia, Canada, which, by the way, is a worthwhile travel destination for its magnificent coastline and its mountainous Cape Breton Highlands National Park. We booked four hotels at various destinations through Booking.com, and had nice accommodations at three of them. This review (maybe it’s more appropriately called a “non-review”) is about our experience at the fourth hotel, the Hearthstone Hotel in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, sister city to Halifax. We had made reservations here for our final two nights because it was only about 20 minutes away from the Halifax Airport. We arrived at the Hearthstone Hotel Dartmouth-Halifax around 5:00 p.m. on a Wednesday afternoon, brought our luggage with us to the reception desk, and gave them our name and Booking.com confirmation number. They had no record of either my name or the confirmation number. They also said that they were fully booked and could not offer us a room. I should say that the hotel staff were very polite, but there was nothing they could do except call Booking.com and tell them the situation. We waited for over an hour for Booking.com to contact us while we sat in the lobby of the hotel, but there was no immediate response. So we finally left the Hearthstone Hotel not knowing if Booking.com was doing anything about our situation, and not knowing where we would stay for the night. Customer Service at Booking.com finally got a hold of me by phone around 10:30 p.m. while we were waiting in the car in the dark in pouring rain on a residential side street in Dartmouth. The Booking.com woman was polite, and tried to be helpful, but told us that there was no hotel availability in all of Halifax or Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. She located a 2-star motel about 45 km to the south along the coast that had a vacancy, and we could call there. We were not about to try to find this motel in the pouring rain in unfamiliar surroundings in the dark after midnight with no GPS, so we ended up spending the night in our rental car not far from the Hearthstone Hotel. The next day we did locate the 2-star ‘60s-era motel about an hour away, in the opposite direction from the airport, and stayed there the final night. After returning home to the U.S. I sent an email to Booking.com telling them of our stress and discomfort at having to spend the night in our car. They emailed their "apology that the Hearthstone Hotel Dartmouth-Halifax did not honor our reservation" and offered to reimburse us 25 EUR (about 29 USD) for our inconvenience. I emailed back: "Don’t bother." A few days later, I got another email from Booking.com Customer Service apologizing for their previous compensation offer. Would I accept 90 CAD (70.86 USD) for our stress and discomfort from sleeping in our car because our reservation was not honored? Since I felt I would not get any better offer than that, I accepted. The lesson learned: When booking a hotel room with an online booking agency, always call or email, if possible, the hotel to verify that they have received and confirmed your reservation request. We will never know who was at fault in this situation, the Hearthstone Hotel or Booking.com. Both pointed their finger at the other. So my rating of 1 reflects our experience with our reservation at the Hearthstone Hotel Dartmouth-Halifax, not the quality of the staff or the rooms, which we never saw.

Room Tip: Call ahead to confirm your confirmation
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brady V
MichaelY2241, General Manager at Hearthstone Inn Boutique Hotel Halifax-Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear Sir,

I am very sorry that you were not able to experience the true Hospitality of the Hearthstone Inn A Boutique Hotel. You are very correct in how you explained your experience with Booking.com and us.

When you make a reservation with an online travel agency (booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity etc) that is who you making the booking with. Then the OTA sends that reservation to the hotel. You should always check with the hotel directly once you make your booking and have received confirmation especially if the reservation isn't for the near future and you are travelling from a far.

If you are ever travelling this way again I would be very happy if you would call me directly 902-469-5850 and allow me to book you in an upgraded room at no additional cost and furthermore I will offer you a discount. I believe in my product and service and I do know that you would have truly enjoyed your stay with us. It's unfortunate that you have had such an unpleasant experience. I wish you and your family well.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 September 2018

Hotel was awesome and the staff and breakfast were superb. I would strongly recommend the hotel to anyone who was ok with the fact that it is a mile walk to the water but it is easy and picturesque. You also can easily drive down. Wonderful experience.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed in room with 2 queen bed overlooking banook lake. Very nice updated room and great to walk around lake. Modern features in room with extra added touches of antiques. Lobby and breakfast area is filled with unique features, ornaments and dishes. We stayed at waverly inn, Halliburton inn and commons inn and have decided henceforth that hearthstone is our go to inn.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review of The Hearthstone Inn-A Boutique Hotel. The staff and management work very hard each day to ensure that our guests have an ultimate experience during their stay. I think we have filled that commitment to you and look forward to seeing you again on your next return visit.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

Stayed here with family. 3 Adults and one teenager, they were very accommodating when I asked for a roll away cot. Room was clean and nice presentation. The only thing I would fault them on is the breakfast. Although the theme of the hotel is antique, it was very confusing when trying to get breakfast. The use of pitchers with jam and butter dishes etc., instead of individual portions made us a bit uncomfortable, as know way to know who has been dipping into these. A bit of a food safety issue.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff accommodated your requests. Our breakfast room is unique in many ways just like the hotel. We have added a Victorian flare throughout the hotel. In order to have a wider selection and offering in our breakfast room we do offer a selection of jams, spreads, butters and flavored syrup. We employ a full time breakfast attendant and they are responsible throughout the breakfast service to ensure health/safety regulations in all areas of the breakfast room. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. We hope to see you again soon on your next return visit to Halifax/Dartmouth.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

This uniquely decorated hotel will have you feeling like you're staying over at Grandma's house. Decent wifi speed and a pretty good breakfast spread. My only complains are limited to the bathroom. The bathtub drain seemed to be blocked so water would take almost an hour to drain completely. The toilet makes a lot of noise when flushing and lasted several minutes and the fan was extremely loud (it was linked to the light switch so had no choice but to turn it on).
Overall staff was friendly, and I would return if the occasion arose.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Michael Y, General Manager at Hearthstone Inn Boutique Hotel Halifax-Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all comments and read them carefully. We have chosen to decorate the Inn with a Victorian theme and flare instead of matching the new builds today which are very modular and new. We have renovated recently and continue to do so. Our designer/decorator is always searching and buying unique items that are a good match and fit for our current décor. I am sorry that your room wasn't 100% satisfactory.I will have these things addressed by my Maintenance team. We hope to see you again soon.