“Pleasantly Surprized”

Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Dartmouth
Reviewed 24 November 2017

There are very few hotel choices in Dartmouth east. About five years back I spent a couple of nights at this hotel, and chose it because it was conveniently located. At that time I considered the accommodation as just o.k. - i.e. barely a 3 on a 5 point scale. In short the building - inside and out - and its fixtures and furnishings seemed tired. Breakfast was provided and that too was just o.k. - I returned for a night a couple of weeks ago, again because of its proximity to relatives that I was visiting - and found the interior of the building has been transformed so it is now very attractive. It has had a complete make-over and the upgrade was obviously planned by someone who had excellent taste. Additionally the staff were helpful and pleasant, and the included breakfast was very good. Our room was similarly quite appealing and had been quite recently upgraded. However the heating/ac unit was quite noisy, but I was still able to get a fairly good sleep. The outside of the building and parking lot/grounds could still use a bit of sprucing up, but based on whats been done inside, I'm guessing the exterior will gussied up a bit quite soon.

Room Tip: The next time I stay here I'll probably ask if they have a room with a quieter heating/AC Unit.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Elainefitz2015, Director of Sales at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear bdm636:

Thank you for your review. Yes we have been doing allot of renovations. As you mentioned our complete makeover is not done yet - we will be working on the exterior in the spring and we are now expanding the lounge. Holly, our decorator does have excellent taste and she has transformed us into a unique boutique hotel.

I will certainly look into the heating/ax unit.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Elaine Fitzgerald Muise

Reviewed 17 November 2017

I have been a regular visitor to this hotel for fifteen years. I have never been an overnight guest but have conducted evening meetings several nights each month which makes me pretty much the most frequent visitor and a keen observer of its evolution. A lot has happened in those years as the hotel has been transformed from its earlier life as an old-style chain property that was a little tired, to its new life as a truly impressive and unique member of the locally owned Hearthstone group. I cannot really speak to the nature of the guest rooms, but I certainly can attest to the incremental continuing rise in the ambience and service of the Hearthstone Inn. Owner Mike and his designer have brought this property to a point in which the long-standing friendliness is complemented by attractive unique ambience, where people truly want to come. When I walk in I am surrounded by interesting décor and accoutrements, with another great find added practically every month. In fact I like to see what is new each month when I arrive! I certainly see the great comments by overnight guests re the comfortable rooms, the great breakfasts provided in the mornings and the friendly service in Reilly’s. And it is conveniently located near all kinds of stores and food outlets. It makes me wish sometimes that I lived outside the area and was fortunate to have booked a room here!
I particularly want to commend Mike for building up such a great staff. Some of these folks I have dealt with for years and some are newer on the scene. No matter how long, it seems like it is a family here. I see guests being called by name all the time, but more important I see everyone, even one-time visitors, being catered to in a friendly manner indicating… “We are glad you are here with us.”
Kudos to the award-winning front desk staff including Wendy, who has helped me countless times over the years, award-winning Sharon, who has gone out of her way to help me out many times in her couple of years at the Hearthstone Inn, and as well friendly newcomer Amanda. These folks cheerfully support me with my needs every single time I am there. Similarly, I want to mention also Edna, in charge of housekeeping, who not only looks after the guestrooms, but also ensures that the basement restrooms that my meeting participants use are always in good shape, and actually smell good, a sure sign of attention, something you don’t always find in out of the way hotel basement levels. I also want to acknowledge the folks who set up my meeting room according to my unique requirements for each of my 84 visits every year. Thanks everyone. This hotel is the one you will want to return to every time you visit the Halifax area.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear William W:

Thank you for your great review. We have been transforming the hotel into a unique boutique hotel that is unique to the area. The staff are amazing and do like to address everyone by name. We are conveniently located in Halifax/Dartmouth and feel including breakfast with the room is great for our guests. We are very proud of the front desk staff and Sharon's recent award at the tourism conference.

Thank you and we look forward to serving your group for many more years to come.

Elaine Fitzgerald Muise

Reviewed 11 November 2017

Can't say enough good things about the Hearthstone, from facilities, service, staff and the general welcoming feel of the Inn. Travelled with a group and while the Inn does not have a restaurant, they provided us with a 5 star dinner that evening and their 'pub grub' is wonderful. The staff is amazingly helpful and knowledgeable. Sharon on the front desk was so friendly I felt as if I'd known her all my life. Melinda, in the bar, served me the best red wine I've had in the last few years and we chatted.... so friendly. Housekeeper Edna took really good care of me and my IKEA packages, heavy stuff. I didn't catch everybody's name, but they were all caring folk. Highly recommend this Inn... the rooms were beautifully furbished too, all mod coms, wi-fi, tv easy to figure out. I am 75 so I appreciate these things. The breakfast spread is fab and included in the room price which is very reasonable for that area.

PS - Big Superstore across the street and a Sobey's down the road, in the heart of all the good shopping centres like Dartmouth Crossing, IKEA, Mic Mac Mall and all the big box stores. Ours was a shopping trip organized by a tour company... they choose well when they selected the Hearthstone Inn!

Room Tip: The Inn has a distinct personality, rather like a vintage mansion, the details are almost museum qua...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Elainefitz2015, Director of Sales at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Dear Janette:

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have upgraded to a boutique style hotel and we want people to feel like they are home. Our staff really takes care of our guests. Hope to see you back again soon!

Elaine

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Our stay was well. My.son enjoyed his stay with the interactive staff. The beds were comfortable and food was good. It was quiet and peaceful. Good entertainment.
Friendly place. Id stay here again. With a special needs child it was a good stay

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Steve M, Guest Relations Manager at Hearthstone Inn Halifax/Dartmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Valued Guest , thank you for your kind words , we truly appreciate them.

Sincerely ,

Steve McNutt

Reviewed 3 November 2017

We loved staying in this grand mansion fully restored and furnished to the period. The accomodation was pristinely clean and our host was delightful. Mattress and linens were wonderful. Breakfast was large and delicious. The property was well located and we walked to Main Street restaurants and bars and of course the shops. Book early in season.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Valued Guest , thank you for your kind words we truly appreciate them.

Sincerely ,