“Ches's surely delivered on their promise 'Once We've Cooked, You'll Be Hooked'! ”

Ches's Fish And Chips
Ranked #45 of 409 Restaurants in St. John's
Price range: USD 1 - USD 15
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Newfoundland's famous Fish & Chips. Celebrating 60 years in business, and is still run by the 2nd & 3rd generations of Barbours. All fresh products (except for the off fishing season) Ches's prides itself on having the best quality food that can be found. (example they hand select their "chip" potato from 6-7 samples each week for color, texture and taste)We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

After a visit to the beautiful Middlecove Beach, the MUN Ocean Sciences Centre and a tour of the House of Assembly Chambers, we were quite famished. My daughter's friends recommended Ches's and we went to the Freshwater Road restaurant. It was a quaint place with strong smell of fish. How could I leave Newfoundland without tasting the signature Fish and Chips made with freshest of fresh Cod! So I ordered 2 pieces, my daughter stuck to her preferred Seafood Platter. One of her friends suggested a sampling of Cod Tongues. When the food arrived I was surprised to see the huge portions but the great taste helped us in polishing off most of it! The Cod Tongues were delicious and everything else too. Also very warm and friendly service. You could hear a lot of laughter from the kitchen. I am sure all that joy is adding to the tasty food! We were so full that there was sadly no room for Ches's freshly baked pies and squares. May be some other day!

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

I went to Newfoundland this summer for my sisters wedding and to visit family but every time I go to visit I always have to eat here. They have great food and service

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

We came to Ches’s fish and chips today. If you like deep fried food, this is your place. I had seafood platter, wife had fish on a bun and two children had cheeseburger and chicken tenders. Overall decent food but this is not somewhere I want to go everyday.

Reviewed 16 August 2018

Great food. Reasonable prices. Service was very good as well. When I made my order, I asked for my fried "All snarled up!" Fried, dressing, cheese and gravy! Heart attack waiting to happen, but worth the chance. Loved it. Oh, and you can get a certificate if it was your first time eating there.

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

Had many recommendations from numerous sources, maybe this was as good as indicated at one time. Sadly it was a huge disappointment and one I regretted as soon as we sat down, portions were very small, and every thing was very greasy, did not have many items on the menu. Two stars is being generous really.