“Wonderful Old Church”

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I was married here so this church has awesome memories for me as a child when my family attended here and as an adult when I married my husband . If you are into interesting architecture then this is one building that you should not miss , it has it all !

All reviews
"treasure"
"photos"
"cruise"

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

My husband is an avid history lover, and when we visit new places, we always go to the biggest church around - they have the real stories of the people!

The visiting centre is lovely, and the people working were happy to help show us around. The history lesson was accesible and the church was beautiful.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

This beautiful old church is undergoing restoration. Back in the day it was a well attended church and a hub for the many other catholic connections such as schools, hospital, nursing residence, CYO, and convent. One can be moved just by sitting very still in an old creaky pew while taking in the detailed surrounding architecture, statues. and beautiful altar. There is also the Virgins Chapel where mass was being held due to the restorative work being done. I was surprised to see a number of young families in attendance, so obviously some people are staying or being attracted to the Cathedral parish. It has that wonderful church aroma of polished wood. Can’t wait to see it when the work is done. The priest greeted every regular by name as they left mass.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

This cathedral is absolutely beautiful from the outside. I walked around and took pictures for 15 minutes. Sadly, it was closed for renovations, but I'm sure I would have given five starts if I was able to go in.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I came here to research my Irish ancestors from Johnville NB and found out that Mary, the diocese archivist, is an amazing woman! If you come prepared with names, dates, and locations, chances are she can help you find something, or at least verify or connect the dots. She is dedicated to her work and thinks of everything. She treats you like you are the most important person to her. And she knows who to contact outside the church for further genealogy contacts.
Thank you, Mary! And thanks to the Diocese of Saint John for providing this valuable service.

1  Thank MainePeg