“Best breads and pastries”
Review of The Crusty Bun

The Crusty Bun
Ranked #4 of 19 Bakeries in Winnipeg
Cuisines: German
Description: Bakery
Description: Bakery
Reviewed 8 February 2018

Whenever we visit Winnipeg we stop at the Crusty Bun! The same applies when we leave, we always stop on the way home to fill up bags and boxes of their delicious buns , bread and pastries. The crusty buns, pretzels, pumpkin seed bread and buns are superb! Even though their selection of pastries are not huge compared to European standards, what they have is outstanding! Bienenstich, cream buns etc. are all authentic and so, so good! Lunches are simple, delicious soups and sandwiches, efficient service and great quality make this one of the best bakeries in Canada.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

This German bakery is always packed at lunchtime. They offer many breads, pretzels, sandwiches, desserts and two daily soups. You can phone in an order and have the bread waiting for you when you arrive. They're only open until about 5 pm at the St. Mary's location on weekdays and are closed on Sundays.

The German breakfast (coffee, two crusty buns with jam and butter, cheese and ham) is my mother's favourite and I get the crusty or seed bun sandwich. They will make a vegetarian version and I'm happy that they've been offered to add an extra piece of cheese to replace the meat since they're the same price. The sandwich is a bit light but you can also add the soup to it. The pretzels are quite tasty as well. I've tried a few of the desserts but none really stood out to me.

I had a negative experience with the vegetarian soup when I found meat in it. When I brought it up to the staff, I had to talk to a couple different staff members who first denied it, then checked with the kitchen and offered me another bowl of soup, which considering the first had meat in it and it all came from the same pot, I wasn't too keen on. I thought they could have handled the situation better, but I still enjoy the other food.

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

They have the best cake pieces for desserts or afternoon coffees. Being German it’s always been a weekend tradition to have cake and coffee.
Bienenstich is the best!

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Had the soup today, Carrot & Red Lentil, excellent! great job Crusty Bun. Also had to buy some pumpkin seed buns to take home, they are delicious. Just wish that in future one of the 2 soups served each day would be a veggie soup. I am not a vegetarian but just do not like meat in my soup.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

They make fantastic sandwiches. Their desserts dispute having a good selection are made with far too much lard. My mouth stayed greasy for an hour. They should stick with bread.