“Good Alternative Soups”

Pho No. 1
Ranked #150 of 1,722 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 12 October 2016

I was originally looking for pho to eat on my first day in Winnipeg, but didn't come across anywhere close to where I needed to be. I had a conversation with someone who said that this was their favourite Pho in the city, but they said that their go to soup had a coconut soup base. I didn't know what he meant since that didn't sound like the pho I was used to, but I ventured on my last day in the city and found Pho No. 1. I asked the waitress about the soup I had been told about and she pointed me towards it in their menu, I think it was #51. It is not a pho but it is a noodle soup. My understanding is that it is one of their most popular soups and while it was good, I found it very rich and reminiscent of my time in Thailand when I found a lot of the soups there too rich for my palate. From now on, I will stick to regular beef pho, however, if you enjoy rich and flavourful soups, this is a great option! I went to this restaurant on a Sunday around 6PM and it was PACKED. Just a note, it is definitely a Vietnamese soup, not Thai, as I was made aware when I recounted my thoughts to the staff when I paid.

Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

We came looking for great Vietnamese food and were not disappointed.
Ca phe sua da all around as we introduced our local family to this great drink.
Awesome steaming bowls of delicious.
I had the beef and eggplant sizzle and it was one of the beat restaurant dishes I have ever had.

Will definitely add this place to my must visit places when in Winnipeg.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

I have been coming to this place for over a decade, ever since I accidentally found it when trying to escape the rain. Winnipeg has some wicked Vietnamese food, far better than they give themselves credit for. This is my favourite spot in the city and I always come back when in town. Relaxed atmosphere, and the decor has come a long way over the years. (Today's slick rock wall and LED lights are a far cry from the stuffed fish and strange paintings)

As for food, the Pho no.1 Pho, Curry chicken Pho, and Deluxe Beef Pho, spring rolls and deluxe noodle bowl are all favourites. Rice roll wrapper appetizer is also fantastic if you don't mind some DIY rice roll action. (The rice rolls come with heaps of fresh veggies, meat and sauce so you can make your own!) The vietnamese crape is also really cool.

I can't say I've had all the soups, and to be honest when I stray too far away from the best sellers I have regretted it. On the other hand, some of their Chinese offerings are excellent so that more than makes up for it. I would take the cantonese style chow mein from this place over many Chinese restaurants in the city.

The only other negative thing is that the staff is usually very busy and can be a little abrupt. Language may be an issue but its reasonably priced and tastes great so get in there and experiment. This is the place that convinced me that tripe is actually awesome. (Although you can always ask them to leave it out!)

1  Thank eliotbritton
Reviewed 23 May 2016

We have been here a few times and every time we are more then satisfied with our meal. They have so many options and everything is delicious. So if your looking to try something different this is definitely worth trying. Enjoy.

1  Thank topjimmytoo
Reviewed 4 February 2016 via mobile

Nice decor. Quaint little restaurant. Friendly service. The soup was to die for, absolutely the best soup I have ever eaten. I will be back again and again.

1  Thank Melanie W