“Faded elegance”

Ranked #57 of 63 Hotels in Winnipeg
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Marlborough in mid-June, 2012. The staff at the front desk were friendly and courteous. Check-in was quick and easy. Our room was clean although a bit the worse for wear. In the bathroom the laminate counter-top was separating from the base material and the enamel in the sink was chipped. The room air conditioning was jammed at the full-on position but was barely able to maintain a comfortable room temperature when the weather was moderate. It would have been inadequate during a heat wave. There was a nice hot tub and a pool with a water slide that was open from 10 AM until 10 PM. The complementary full, hot breakfast was excellent. Parking was not included. If you are just going to park the car until you leave, use the lot across the street ($10). If you will be coming and going several times the lot behind the hotel is better ($15 for 24 hrs with in/out).

Fifty years ago the Marlborough was an elegant venue for hosting graduation dances and wedding receptions. It is no longer "the place to stay in downtown Winnipeg." Most of its guests these days are long-term evacuees from communities in northern Manitoba who have been forced from their homes by flooding or forest fires. However, it does provide reasonably-priced accommodation for those who want to stay downtown.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gerald N
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Gerald N,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I am glad to hear that your check in was quick and easy, and that you were met by our friendly staff! Glad you enjoyed the pool, water slide and hot tub. I agree – the complimentary hot breakfast is excellent – we pride ourselves on offering more than a muffin and coffee.

We are diligently working to correct the issues that you mentioned. You commented that fifty years ago The Marlborough Hotel was an elegant venue for hosting graduation dances and wedding receptions – but it is no longer “the place to stay in downtown Winnipeg” – we are still one of the premier venues for Graduations and Weddings offering the Skyview Ballroom as well as our other unique venues for Grads, Weddings, Conferences etc. As for being the place to stay downtown as you mentioned we do provide reasonably priced accommodations for downtown Winnipeg and we will continue to do so.

I look forward to seeing you again.

Sincerely

Chris Dubberley
Home of the Skyview Ballroom

Reviewed 25 May 2012

People who had a low rating for this hotel need to stop being so picky. For this price you can't expect a 5 star hotel, but it's excellent value for your money. When we stayed, we were in between two concerts (Rammstein and Van Halen) and some business convention. Even though the staff was obviously really busy they were always polite and helpful. Some things were fixed without us asking, and when we had to ask it was taken care of right away.

You can't beat the location - a block from the MTS centre, and all kinds of down town shopping. Everything we wanted was within walking distance.

The free breakfast was good, and our waitor was polite and quick, even though he too, was obviously overly busy.

Yes, outside the hotel is a litte "rough" after dark, but it's downtown Winnipeg. There's a security guard at the door all night

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angelaleet
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Angelaleet,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your stay at The Marlborough Hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel to be an excellent value – we do hope to provide a comfortable stay as well as an excellent value. I am glad that you found our staff to be polite and helpful and take care of any issues that you had.

One of our stand out features is our complimentary breakfast available to our registered guests – our culinary team has made every effort to provide something for a majority of our guests. Beats Danish and a coffee!

Downtown in any major city can be a bit intimidating and we value our guests safety – we are happy to assist with answering any questions that our guests might have regarding safety in downtown Winnipeg.

I look forward to seeing you again,

Sincerely

Chris Dubberley

Reviewed 25 May 2012

My husband and I went for a conference in May, 2012 and decided to stay at the Marlborough since our last stay was reasonable. The first problem we encountered was the size of the room, we had no place to put our laptop. Then there was the heat during the night, we had to open our door to let in some "air", which was a bad decision because the smell of pot came wafting in (we'd changed rooms from smoking to the non-smoking floor). We attended the conference and returned to find that we had to move, because there were bedbugs in our room. The staff apologized and assured us the other room had been thoroughly inspected, so we reluctantly stayed in the hotel, partly because we had paid the room for the whole week. To make matters worse, I had caught a cold during the trip and poor housekeeping was really annoying (I usually tidy up coming back to the room, but I wasn't feeling up to it). The cleaning lady barely touched the room, even dirty towels weren't changed. The next problem was the smell of sewage on our last few nights, it was horrible, making it difficult to stay in the room. The manager even came to flush the toilet a few times, probably in the hopes that flushing would take care of the smell. She promised us a fan to help with the heat (we never got it). The staff ignored our complaints until the last day, when they moved us, again, to the third? floor which occupied an office. Awful, awful memories! They never took us seriously, probably thinking because we are Natives from up north, we should be able to stay in a poorly maintained room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank b h
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed here one night for business when most other hotels were booked. I had heard about this hotel but knowing it was just one night I was not too concerned. My flight was late and when I arrived at the hotel the police were escorting people out and there were many security guards around the lobby area. It was a hocky night so in fairness maybe people were a bit more rambunctious than usual but I am not so sure it is not the norm for this place. This hotel is rough starting from the lobby all the way through. The elevators are old. The hallways are old...beer bottles around, few signs. To say I felt 100% safe is a bit of a stretch. As I made my way to my room I was concerned what I might run in to especially as a female travelling alone, so I was moving quite quickly. To put this in perspective I have worked in enforcement and am quite confident in my ability to defend myself and still felt ill at ease. In fairness my room was ok, bed comfortable, TV fine, bathtub was ok, counter and toilet space was very tight. The hotel served breakfast and you had a choice from the menu. The fact that it did not include the tea or coffee I found strange but I figure it was a way to try and ensure to get a bit of a tip. On the positive side I found the hotel staff very helpful, friendly and they did go out of their way to help me with some questions I had. I cannot stay this would top my list if I returned or that I can really recommend it to most people. I feel bad saying that because of how nice the staff were however I like many others rely on this site for honest reviews and so there you have it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Jaboda
Inter1, General Manager at The Marlborough Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

General Manager Response:

Dear “very nice helpful staff but it is a rough hotel”

Thank you very much for choosing The Marlborough Hotel during your visit to Winnipeg.
I’m sorry to hear that you felt unsafe during your stay. Let me assure you that our hotel is safe. Like most hotels, we utilize security staff and video surveillance to maintain a quiet, safe and secure environment for all of our guests. Our guestrooms are equipped with peephole viewers, secure electronic key card locks and safety chains.

As the General Manager, I am constantly striving to better every experience our guests encounter at the hotel. This includes not only taking all safety and security measures, but also continued refurbishments and upgrades to our rooms as well as our business floor. This is an ongoing process that is a top priority for all of us here. Our guests comfort and peace of mind is of the utmost importance to us all.

Thank you for the positive comments about our staff, food and service.
On behalf of our entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back to Winnipeg and to The Marlborough Hotel.

Mike Episcopo

Reviewed 19 December 2011

Historic buildings have always been of interest to me so while on a 3 day trip to wpg i thought the marlborough hotel might just be a neat place to stay..although i did read some reviews i decided to leave it up to my own discretion and go ahead as the hotel was in the vicicnity of the places i was there to go to...first let me say the hotel looks from the outside so historic and the staff were very accomadating and polite..lunch in the restaurant was good, the beautifully cared for stained glass windows and historic walls and carvings made it a historic experience...Thats where it all ended.When entering the rooms i was a bit surprised to see that the entire room was seriously dated and in need of an entire reno.Although im sure the cleaning staff tried their hardest to clean it as well as the were able to but seriously they were very limited in what they could do.Starting with the beds although not bad for comfort the sheets and blankets were threadbare and had cigarette holes in them.comforters and shams were discarded immediaetly as they were too scarey to sleep with.The heater was so loud that i felt i was sleeping in a truck or that there was construction going on inside the room, so needless to say had to be turned off to sleep and then brrrr no thick blankets to keep warm.The bathroom was needless to say old crumbling and soooooo dated.The water taps didnt work right. The rugs were dark but had to wear shoes for fear of what was on there.Worst of all was in the morning waking up full of big red welts.Itchy red bumps aquired throughout the night..Each morning i awoke with more and by the time i left i had huge giant red itchy welts on my body..I could only come to one conclusion on that one..I did think the prices were fair before checking in but afterwards would have definitely paid alot more for a cleaner more up to date hotel..So there you go wont do that again and can only hope these ugly red welts will go away.Maybe some antibiotics will do the trick as i am just heading out the door to the dr to have them treated............Enter at your own risk........i did....and lived to regret it...

Room Tip: i have no tips for them