1,497 results
All reviews palm room biscotti grand old hotel feather bed broadway room railway hotel haunted room piano player natural habitat classic hotel coffee service eggs benedict beautiful hotel breakfast buffet is modern amenities complimentary coffee guest rooms
Reviewed 11 July 2016

What a fabulous stay. My husband and I came to Winnipeg with our kids (two teenagers and a twenty-something) for a spur of the moment weekend trip We hadn't planned on staying anywhere, we thought maybe the Fairmont. We had never heard of the Fort Garry. As we were driving around the city, that gorgeous façade rose up - you can't miss beautiful building - it just invited us to come visit. We thought we'd just stop to explore. Maybe grab a Wi-Fi signal in the lobby to plan our day. From the moment we walked in, the Garry took our breath away. I've stayed at a number of hotels that try to be the Grand Old Hotel (St. Paul, Brown Palace, Pfister) but when I walked into the Garry, I realized, this is what they are all trying to be.

For our nearly adult children, sharing beds is out of the question these days - they all need their privacy. The hotel clerk instantly found us two rooms that adjoined, a small suite (310) and an adjoining two double bed room (308). 308 had light cancelling shades which allowed our boys to sleep in the next morning. 310 had a sitting room with a sofa that was massive enough that we could all sit together on it comfortably.

The Garry provided a rollaway twin for our daughter who slept in the spacious sitting room of 310. Mamma and Daddy's master bedroom had a sturdy door down the hall from both daughter and across the hall (and through another sturdy door) from the boy's room. Privacy for all! The roll away had the same feather topper and feather comforter that our beds had. Daughter said she hadn't slept that well since she was lulled to sleep by the surf on Kauai.

About about the beds. I haven't had a double-feather dream like the Garry's beds since I stayed with a gracious family in a three story castle of a home (that'd been in their family forever) in San Sebastian, Spain. (If you've never slept with a down feather bed topper below and a down comforter above, you must try it. Heavenly.)

Back to the hotel: There was NO trace of that musty smell that mars the visit in most old hotels. None. We visited the spa, and the spa is legit, the real deal. Although if you want a massage, I would recommend that you book in advance, because by the time we got there, they were completely booked up. They did provide us with a courtesy gift of skin care which daughter and I loved.

Husband and kids explored the hotel while Mamma checked in. The kids commented that the ballrooms looked like something out of Downton Abbey. I was taken to see, and yes, they are extraordinary. Magnificent. Gorgeous. Like something out of an English castle.

Husband and I took the stairs, our preference. My husband, a lover of history and architecture, exclaimed over the beautiful, must-be-original banister and we both wondered how they keep the brass so perfectly golden and gleaming, when we rounded a corner to meet a white-gloved hotel worker methodically polishing the banister. He gave us a smile and we headed up now knowing exactly how they keep the banisters so gleaming.

The rooms were updated and clean. The air-conditioning worked beautifully, the shower was piping hot with great pressure, the towels were huge and yummy. We named the silver statue of the dog in the entryway "Chester" and brought him into the sitting room to watch the Tour de France on the massive flat screen TV with us.

For dinner, we walked across the street, through the train terminal (a fun bit of history on it's own) and into the Forks Market. What a GREAT market!! We bought an Armagnac upstairs in the cognac store, tried on gorgeous jewelry and boots, bought candy at a candy store that would make Willy Wonka jealous, and then all went to different vendors for our dinner. We met at one of the tables in the festive common area with several inventive fusion sushi rolls, an African curry and Argentine roast meat. We grabbed craft beer and a three-sample wine flight from the bar located in the back. We heard a variety of languages and accents from where we were sitting, and we commented on how friendly everyone was.

The Garry is located within an easy walk of the Human Rights museum and a beautiful park too. We enjoyed that walk after dinner.

The next morning, we were treated to hot coffee and tea delivered to our room at the time we requested. Compliments of the Garry, they deliver piping hot coffee, tea and cookies to your room on a silver tray at the time you request by placing a card on your door the evening before. So utterly civilized. Daddy and I read the paper and sipped coffee in bed while the kids took their time waking up. After this lovely start to our day, we went downstairs to the full buffet breakfast. Fresh squeezed orange juice, made to order seafood omelets, smoked salmon, an array of yummy breads and croissant (including many identified as gluten-free! thank you!) and fresh fruit. Gluten free toast was brought to me when requested. Really a lovely breakfast.

The staff at the Garry were uniformly friendly and helpful during our stay. There wasn't a sour face among them. In fact, when our distracted family accidentally left breakfast without signing our bill, they called up to our room, polite and apologetic that they hadn't caught us before we left (how was this your mistake?) and would we mind please coming back to sign the bill.

We'll be back to the Garry in a heart beat when we're back in Winnipeg. What a lovely, lovely place.

Room tip: Stay in 310 if you can spring for a small suite, it's worth it!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Christin Croll C
Melisa G, Front Office Manager at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to review our Hotel, we appreciate your feedback. We are happy to see that your stay was enjoyable and find our hotel conveniently located to the Downtown attractions.
Again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Fort Garry Hotel, we are looking forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 10 July 2016

I accompanied my spouse to a conference she was attending and we spent 3 nights at the Fort Garry. It has a great location, on Broadway Avenue, very close to the downtown core and a short walk to the Forks (a must do for tourists).

Our first room has a couple of issues and we were then moved to a renovated room, which had been mainly updated. The rooms were well appointed, beds very comfortable with fantastic linens. The bathrooms, while update, lacked update baths - but overall, clean and comfortable.
A highlight is the coffee service, fill out the card and hang on the door and a tray of coffee and and a paper arrives at your chosen time.
Parking does cost, but three options, valet and outside and underground options - very easy to access.
We did have breakfast at the hotel - $15 buffet with made-to-order eggs and waffles - nicely done, with great service.
If you stay during the week and you are looking for lunch options, Broadway Ave is lined with food trucks with some great options - I did a Mexican lunch, fantastic food, others did a perogy truck and tater-tot truck - all great!

Overall, this is a classic hotel, from the era of the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa, Banff Springs in Banff, definitely worthwhile giving it a try. (some great ghost stories here as well)

Room tip: Request a renovated room - East side of hotel for great views.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank DonMaciver31
Reviewed 10 July 2016

We had a wedding at the Fort Garry to attend with lots of out of town family coming in on Canada Day so we chose to stay two nights at the hotel even though it's only 12 minutes from my house.

The Fort Garry is a Winnipeg institution. I've lived in Winnipeg all my life but never had a reason to stay there until now. I really had high expectations and they were exceeded. From the room upgrade (528 is a MASSIVE hospitality suite) to the services the staff kept surprising us.

No ice machines? No coffee machines? No problem. Coffee was at my door faster than I could have made it each morning when I called room service. Same with ice. 3pm or 2am... you call, they deliver. Both free of charge, just tip the attendant, Valet parking was smooth and easy with great care taken with all cars (whether it was my minivan or the parade of porsches and jags). Our suite had THREE thermostats so it was easy to tailor temperatures for comfortable sleeping and lounging.

Breakfast, while not the extravagant buffet of the past, is a fair deal for guests at $15 (a little pricey for non-guests at $25).

Yes if you look closely enough you will find little things to complain about but this is a classic railway era luxury hotel. You should revel in the character, service and history of this icon of our sky-line.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay again or put family up there for visits.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanadaDanYWG
Melisa G, Front Office Manager at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2016

Thank you for choosing the Fort Garry Hotel as your Destination and taking the time to review our Hotel. We appreciate your good feedback and sharing it with the other travellers. I will definitely share this to our team!

Again, thank you for your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 6 July 2016

I have loved this hotel for years. It was around 1999 when I first made the trip with my two children to visit this magnificent place. Then, again, in 2000 for my daughter's Birthday where we stayed in "the room". There is a well known legend of a ghost in this hotel and while we never managed to meet her, the idea lends a little excitement to going here.
It is old, the rooms are, of course, rather small but it is comfortable and exceptional in many ways. I was there again in July, 2015 with my daughter and grandson. I do believe that everyone should at least experience this hotel, if only for a night. It is still as magnificent as it ever was. This is a place that is as a fine wine. It just gets better with age.
Room service is a must while staying here. Even if you take the nice walk to The Forks for meals, room service is delightful.
I love this hotel.

Room tip: If there is a wedding, or other event, please ask for a room on the end and away from the celebration.
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Melisa G, Front Office Manager at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2016

Thank you for sharing your past experiences to all of us. We are delighted to read the wonderful comments and the experiences that you had with the Hotel. If given chance, please visit us again as some of the rooms has been renovated and I think you will love them. We are hoping to see you back again!

Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful. Tons of character. Reasonable price. Service is amazing. Coffee delivery right to your room with minimal wait. Breakfast is amazing - made to order omelettes, waffles, pastries, etc. Good location near the Forks.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Melisa G, Front Office Manager at Fort Garry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2016

Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to review our Hotel. We are delighted to see that you had an amazing experience during your stay. We are looking forward to see you again!