“An establishment with a flagrant disregard for decency”
Review of Pizzeria Antico

Pizzeria Antico
Ranked #39 of 202 Restaurants in Whistler
Price range: USD 8 - USD 15
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Pizzeria located in the north part of Whistler Village adjacent to the Alpenglow Hotel. You'll find wood fired fornos and a large craft beer selection.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

After regular subpar visits to this establishment, mostly bringing large groups of international visitors in for the pizza + beer special, I returned with a new group last night and what we experienced was nothing short of appalling. Before making the reservation I had checked their facebook page to double check the night of the special and right at the top of their page was an ad clearly stating "Every Tuesday and Wednesday: $15 pizza + pint of craft beer". Being host to the group and surprised to see two nights advertised, I called the restaurant to double check this. The Australian girl on the phone confirmed that the special was in fact both nights and I consequently made a reservation for the 8 of us.

We were seated and given menus upon our arrival. We had all decided on our pizzas when the server came back and it was mentioned that we were doing the pizza and beer special. It may be worth noting that previous groups and I have been unlucky enough to have been served by this particular unkempt Australian girl before and she was, well, salty, each time. Having realized what happened, she looked at me with a smirk on her face and said nope, there was no chance of getting the special that night. I told her that it was advertised at the top of their facebook page and she said that was impossible. I showed her. She said too bad, it's an old post. I said it didn't have an expiry written on it and informed her that I had also called to check that the special was on Wednesday too which is why I made the reservation. Nope, it must have been a new person working the phone and there's just no way for them to discount the pizza + beer to $15. I told her that that was extremely disappointing having lived in town for many years and regularly bringing in groups. I asked to speak with a manager or supervisor. Her grin remained as she told me that it was her that night, she had been there for a year and a half after all! I told her that we were there to spend money and would appreciate having their ad, AND phone call, honoured. She then said that she was busy with other tables and left us. We sat there, with the facebook ad open on my phone, in stunned silence. Surely this couldn't be, having called to check to avoid exactly this kind of situation?

She came back shortly after and said again that there was nothing she could do, the computer wouldn't allow it. I again asked to speak to a manager and she said she could call the owner but that he was watching a soccer game and was busy. I said that I would appreciate the phone call. She came back 5 minutes later and said nope, the owner said no chance. I asked her if she had told him that I had called to confirm this and she said oops, she forgot and had left that part out. I asked her to call him again and she said she didn't have time.

She left the table and an Australian guy, who I learned after was the bartender, approached us asking what the issue was. I told him and he said that THE FACEBOOK PAGE WASN'T EVEN AFFILIATED WITH THEM. HUH?!? was my response. He said that the page was not representing the restaurant so it was too bad that there was an old special advertised on there. Unbelievable. I asked him if he could call the owner to try to clear this up and he said he would. I thanked him. Of course he didn't come back to the table to speak to us again and as we left we passed the bar, an HOUR into this ordeal with empty stomachs, and I asked him about the phone call. He laughed and said the owner was busy.

I have never written a review of an experience before as I've never had an experience like this before. It was humiliating for me, the "leader" of the group to have such a disgusting display of ignorance and such a defiance to doing what was clearly the ethical thing for them to do, happen in my hometown. Mortifying, in fact. This restaurant is run with transient seasoners that could care less about customer service or being a contributing member of a community. Their substandard pizza is in no way worth such a blatant display of egoism and disregard.

If you're looking for delicious pizza, check out CREEKBREAD in Creekside. Consistently delicious and unwavering customer service.

6  Thank explorer180
Maria D, Owner at Pizzeria Antico, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

I am so glad you wrote us a review, because I would like to advise you that you will be refused service if you try to come to our establishment again. You looked at a post from 2015, yes that is correct 2015, and decided to come in and demand that the deal we offered three years ago still be in place. We post that our hours are changed during shoulder seasons, as well so I am surprised you even knew we were open. You are a local and staff knew that you because you have eaten at Pizzeria Antico several other times on Tuesdays. We have not offered the Wednesday night deal for over two years and if you are looking at something on facebook that is three years, old I would recommend you call an establishment to check and see if it is still valid.

You proceeded to walk around our restaurant showing other customers your phone, interrupting their meals and being incredibly inappropriate. We had customers complain to our service staff about your behaviour as they were enjoying themselves and you were being very rude and disruptive.

You claim they didn't call the owner, well I know that is not true because I am the owner. The manager Gala called me and I was in shock at what she was even asking. I told her of course we were not offering it. We offer this deal for locals on Tuesdays. We loose money offering this deal. We are happy to do this because it is a resort town and we know how hard everyone works and how expensive it is to live in Whistler. When locals behave as you did the other night it makes me question my decision to continue to offer deals like this because reviews like yours can damage our business and are completely unmerited. Other establishments offer a locals deal during dead season, we run ours all year and then we get reviews like this and it really bothers me on a personal level.

Again DO NOT come back to our establishment for a meal on a regular night or on a Tuesday, not with friend and not on your own. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who may cause other diners discomfort or hinder their ability to enjoy their meal. We wish you all the best at Creekbread, my family and I have eaten there and we enjoy it. I hope you treat them and their establishment better then you did ours.

I am NOT SORRY and I don't apologize. You should apologize to the other locals because customers like you will be the reason restaurants like mine will no longer offer local deals. Loosing money to offer an affordable deal for locals will not be worth it anymore.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Nice pizza, individually sized with great tasting simple ingredients. Not overly cheesed like you would expect in North America, which is a pleasant surprise & served with a side dish of parmesan/oregano/chili flakes, so you can finish the pizza yourself however you like it…
Wine by the glass on draft but it's decent. Good local beer choice.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Forget your Dominos, Pizza Hut, Pizza Express, if you like pizza as much as I do then get yourself over to Antico. The Pizza’s are incredible and cooked perfectly in two massive clay pizza ovens. Ross was a great server and made the whole evening and enjoyable one with his wit. Great pizza, great service and great beer. Need I say more. Excellent night so maybe worth booking as the place gets busy and I can see why.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Came back 2 years later and enjoyed the pizzas again. Gnocchi was small portion and son was still hungry. also tried the caesar salad on the flat bread - just the right amount of dressing. waitress was friendly and helpful. go early before the crowds! parking available at the meters.

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

All was good there. Most important the pizza was delicious, then the beer was great and least but not last, the staff was really nice.