Nita Lake Lodge
The Listel Hotel Whistler(Whistler)(Great Value!)
USD 136*
USD 107*
Hotels.com
Adara Hotel(Whistler)(Great Value!)
USD 116*
Adara Hotel
  • Pool
The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler(Whistler)(Great Value!)
USD 229*
USD 216*
  • Restaurant
Crystal Lodge Hotel(Whistler)(Great Value!)
USD 107*
USD 99*
USD 194*
USD 174*
  • Pool
Aava Whistler Hotel(Whistler)(Great Value!)
USD 110*
USD 103*
  • Pool
Coast Blackcomb Suites(Whistler)(Great Value!)
USD 124*
USD 119*
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Delta Hotels Whistler Village Suites(Whistler)(Great Value!)
USD 133*
USD 167*
USD 145*
Travelocity
2,047 results
All reviewslake viewaura restaurantpaddle boardscure loungefix cafewhistler villagefrozen lakeheated floorsfree shuttleon demandshuttle servicecreekside gondolavalley trailsoaker tubhuge bathroomfrench pressminute drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 February 2012

As I understand it, Nita Lake was built when the global economy was strong with the intention that some of the units be sold. The financial crisis came along, few units were sold and the whole structure of the company behind the hotel went through significant turmoil. Early in 2012 the ownership changed and a new General Manager was appointed. When we stayed in the hotel in February 2012 the manager had yet to implement much change. Significant number of senior positions within the hotel were vacant and this has had an effect on the service offered.

A hotel which markets itself as the ultimate luxury boutique hotel has a lot to live upto. With management positions vacant and much of the staff young (very nice) people who do not have a background in the hospitality industry attention to detail was, I am afraid lacking.

Let me give you an example. Just to be clear, I do not have a bed linen fetish and you can look at my other reviews and I do not believe I have ever mentioned sheets, linen or how my bed has been made. If you stay in nice hotels you expect nice linen and well made beds. After the first night at Nita we reported that our bed was not made properly. There was a mattress cover (to call it a mattress cover is an insult to other mattress cover) that was a non attached flimsy excuse. As it was not attached to the mattress it rumpled up and the result was that in the middle of the night my wife and I had to straighten everything out. So, on the second day they gave us a fitted sheet but the problem remained. On our sixth night at Nita my wife noticed that the sheets had not been changed. She asked the front desk how often the linen was changed and was told that during busy times (such as the weekend) it was on request. The receptionist accepted that this was not mentioned anywhere and there was no card in the room to leave on the bed if you wanted new linen. For somewhere that describe itself as 'truly luxurious' I found this surprising. We asked for our sheets to be changed. That night we returned to find a handwritten letter from the head of guest relations and some (fantastic) chocolates. I felt it would be unfair to write this review without having first told her my thoughts. When I bought her to our room to show her how badly the bed was made, we pulled back the duvet to find that the new sheets were stained and according to the manager were poor quality and not what they normally used. Given that the manager had specifically requested that care be taken with our bed this was quite shocking. She arranged for our bed to be made properly and that night, for the first night, we slept right the way through and when we woke up the bed did not look as if we had been wrestling in it! What a shame this had not happened the first time we complained!

Just to be clear, my issue is not with the housemaid. My issue is with the management that allows this to happen. It is absolutely vital that the new GM brings in mid level managers that ensure that proper standards are maintained and that the attention to detail that one should be able to expect in a property like this are provided.

So, would I come back? Likely, but I want to see whether things get better or worse. If I did come back then I would bring (and suggest you take):
• Disposable slippers to walk on the slate floors or to the hot tub (they don’t provide theses)
• Shower gel for the great shower (they don't provide it)
• Lockable case for your valuables (there is no in room safe)
• Ladies hygiene bags (they don’t provide these).

We love quiet rooms and always ask for a room that is not connected with another. Apparently all rooms at Nita Lodge are connecting! During the week this was not a problem. At the weekend we had louder neighbours and whilst are sleep was not disturb, it is somewhat disconcerting to hear someone else singing whilst you are trying to sleep.

On the last night we ate in the bar. They have just introduced a proper menu (the previous one was basically snacks) and we really enjoyed our meal.

I really hope someone takes control at Nita. It is a great place but it needs to be managed and if it is it will do well.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kiteperson
lindseyturner, Director of Sales at Nita Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay with us. My sincere apologies for the housekeeping issues you encountered which cast a shadow over your entire stay with us. The situation is definitely unacceptable and has been addressed with our team at this morning's operations meeting. You will be pleased to hear that new linens are already on order for the entire property as Phase 2, after our recent addition of Frette towels in all of our bathrooms. We did experience a management company change in December 2011. We have been very fortunate to retain 95% of our staff and now have a team even more committed to excellence in guest service. Again, sincere apologies for what was not the experience you should have had and I do hope that you will consider a future stay with us.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

I know all the places to stay in Whistler blow--overpriced, and very very average at best--but this place came with such high recommendations, I felt I had to write and say frankly, it sucks. The sheets were rough and coming off the bed, the bed was over soft, "fireplace" is a cheesy gas thing that produces no heat, TV badly placed (doesn't swivel so you can't watch in bed), and THIS was the upgraded room! No bell service, you must bring your gear up from the underground parking by yourself, no breakfast included--Really, we travelers MUST demand more from the owners of these places or we are doomed to crappy lodgings and crappy service at every large corporate owned ski station. And the snow sucked.

Room Tip: Go Somewhere Else
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loulouL.A.
Reviewed 14 February 2012

On the plus side, the rooms and public spaces are well designed -- the hotel looks look very much like the Four Seasons--and the lake front setting is pretty. It feels though, like the owners have have cut back in other areas to save money. The Hotel is understaffed and the staff they have are mostly young, seasonal workers without a lot of training. The rooms also lack some basics like trashcans in the bathrooms, extra towels, etc. and can be noisy. (The rooms have high ceilings, which is nice, but the walls are thin and you can hear everything happening on the floors above. In the morning it was very noisy as people were wheeling out their bags to catch an early flight.)

The location is also somewhat inconvenient. There is a shuttle, but the service can be limited. Given what they are charging and how they are positioning the hotel I would expect more.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I highly recommend - stayed 4 nights. Amazing rooms - fireplace, vaulted ceiling, large, IPOD dock. Great bar/restaurant; great location; great spa; great staff. Easy short walk to Creekside where you store your skis.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
A Whistler Blackcomb traveller
Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com
lindseyturner, Director of Sales at Nita Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012