“9 Night Winter Vacation”

Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Would give this hotel a 9/10...

On recommendations from our son to use 'trip advisor' in selecting suitable accommodation for a ten day holiday in Whistler for our family of 4 adults - Pan Pacific Village Centre was the ideal choice. It lived up to all expectations and we had an awesome holiday. The two bedroom suite on the 4th floor, with a mountain/village centre view, met all our requirements in both location, comfort, fantastic service from the 'front of house' staff and the complimentary buffet breakfasts were greatly appreciated. The ability to store our skis/snowboards at your sister hotel 'Pan Pacific Mountainside' made it effortless with only a few meters to the gondolas of both Blackcomb & Whistler. The location of the hotel was perfectly situated with all the restaurants at your doorstep, the only difficulty was to choose which one do we go to tonight. It was with great sadness that we had to leave but vowing that a return trip will be planned for the future. We have had no hesitation in recommending this hotel to our friends and family on our return.

North family (Auckland New Zealand)

RE Edwin Simon: The reviews on this site, and for others, by comparison to hotels abroad may be generous, but in comparison to other available options in Whistler, they are well deserved. Take a look at the rooms of the Fairmont, the two bedroom suite comparison is a good example to use, the Fairmont is vastly more expensive to befit its 5star status, but the rooms are marginally better at best - the Pan Pacific represents great value in comparison. The breakfasts, whilst nothing spectacular in comparison to the buffets in Asia per say are cannot really be scorned either, this was the only hotel were a complimentary breakfast was accorded to every guest when we were researching them. Finally, and not to relay the point excessively, but if you consider the hotels free wifi and spa facilities, regardless of how fabulous they might or might not be, they are still the only place to offer these at a reasonable price - again the 5 star Fairmont makes you pay for wifi, and we saw very few other hotels this close to the mountains with lap pools or external spa's.

In summary, place this hotel outside whistler, in the USA or in Asia, or perhaps even Vancouver, and it might be a 3.5star, but with regard to the fact its in Whistler, it represents the best option available for most who can afford it, and hence deserves its high acclaim.

Room Tip: The pillow top sofa beds exceed comfort expectations if you need to fit more people, bigger rooms wi...
3  Thank Peter N
There are newer reviews for Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Wished we could have stayed longer. An excellent hotel with breakfast included in the tarriff. Upgraded to a higher floor and made to feel welcomed and special, which was very nice after a long trip. So central to the village and transport. I have recommended this hotel to any family and friends who are contemplating travelling to BC.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sandgropers2
Reviewed 20 December 2011

This review should serve as a sanity check. This is more of a 3.5.

You've done your research and you clearly see that site after site, Pan Pacific Village at Whistler is one of the highest rated if not THE highest rated at Whistler. They've won numerous awards and from multiple angles, this place looks like a winner. That's exactly what we did and we were so excited that we did our due diligence and booked our room well in advance.

The reservation experience was good. All our calls to the hotel with questions or concerns were handled well. They sent us an email that gave us some ideas for planning our week. This had all the makings of a great experience.

We arrived at Whistler in the evening, pulled up to the hotel and it looked like a smaller and quaint hotel. I expected some assistance but ended up walking in saying Hello to the front desk and the valet came out eventually. That's fine as I don't expect them to be waiting for me in the cold. The lobby was Holiday Inn-ish. It was anything but special, just a very plain lobby. Ironically, the Holiday Inn was next door. Check in was a breeze and we made our way to the room.... as we pushed our own luggage cart. I actually gave the valet a 10 spot to take care of our vehicle and only then did he offer to help us with luggage.

The hotel room... it was a 2 bedroom and it was just OK. Here's a comparison, we stayed at the Tantalus Lodge last year and Tantalus was a solid 3 star lodge. We expected the Pan Pacific to blow it away and that just was not the case. Tantalus was a half a notch below, that's it.

Overall, the crew was quietly disappointed but we wanted to wait and see. We eventually took a trip to the pool and hot tub area. It was fine... smaller in scale to what we expected but it was fine. The mini gym was... mini but we could care less as we were not there to workout. Let me say this, size and scale have nothing to do with perception. A smaller establishment can easily be a 5 star establishment but this is NOT by any stretch a 5 star. This is a 3 star establishment, no doubt.

Breakfast... It was pretty basic. Eggs, salty as heck potatoes and meat (ham or bacon or sausage), pastries, bagels, bread, a couple of fruits, cereal, juice, tea, coffee. Now, let's compare it head to head with a Holiday Inn that we stayed at in Tucson, AZ. Yes, let's compare it to a crappy market. We had everything offered here plus much more fresh fruits, waffle maker, hot cereal, and a few more items. This is in comparison to a Holiday Inn in armpit Arizona. In fact we all felt the Holiday Inn was all around a tiny notch better than the Pan Pacific.

This is not to say the Pan Pacific is bad but it's not what the reviews have lead us to believe and that is the point of this review.

Service during our stay was very good. The front desk staff is excellent, the valets are also very good.

Upon departure, we received our vehicle with a long scratch from the front door to the gas cap. We pointed this out to the valet and he directed us to the front desk. I really felt the scratch could be rubbed off and the gal at the front desk was great at getting me what I needed. This was a rental and I was not going to leave without a resolution. The front desk got me a scouring pad and we eventually removed the long green scratch on our silver colored rental.

In the end, scratch was gone, and I was on my way. Did I have a 5 star experience???? Wow, not even close! Was it bad... NO but it's not what any of these reviews have led us to believe.

Reviews stating BEST EXPERIENCE EVER, I have to question where they have stayed in the past. I'm not that well traveled. I've been to Asia, Canada, and the west and east coasts of the US. I've not stayed at many top tier hotels but every single one that I have been to, are well above the Pan Pacific.

Let's address a few more things -

Ski locker at the Pan Pacific Mountainside - priceless

Manager's reception - Bottom line, free drinks and snacks from 4-5pm. Did the management care to say anything to me... not really. I look young but I have a family and we have money to spend. The bartender was cool and I got a lot of tips from him. All good, I wasn't there to get my butt kissed.

Location is hard to beat. In the village but away from most of the noise and close to everything in the village. Starbucks a few steps away, Earl's (great restaurant) across the street.

$25 daily fee for parking is silly but whatever.

I ALMOST FORGOT.... THE BEDS ARE JUST PLAIN BAD. We could not sleep, the beds were not comfortable.

HVAC system in the bedrooms were very poor as well. The fan was blowing straight to our face while laying in bed. It made for a bad combination. We could not get a comfortable night of sleep.

Here's the bottom line. I'll gladly spend more money for a 5 star experience and next year, that's exactly what I'm doing. I go on vacation and spend my hard earned money to have an amazing experience. The Pan Pacific did not deliver. I do feel that for the most part, they have very good staff and some are excellent. We just expected so much more than we received.

Room Tip: Don't expect 5 star.
7  Thank EdwinSimon
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We were staying on the 3rd floor in a 2 bedroom suite, the room was beyond our expectations with its space and size. We mentioned that we had an 11 month old baby coming with us and when we got there was a crib with a baby tub waiting for us which made us realize they went the extra step to take care of us and our baby. The rooms were very spacious and accomodating. The staff was very attentive and caring for anything we needed from the front desk to the shuttle driver. The only thing that got on my nerve was the elevator which wasn't working very well on the first night but was better the next day also I would go for a higher floor since you can hear car and people traffic. Other than that I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good deal for a good sized bedroom suite!!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor suite
1  Thank BigDaddy93
NLeddy, Manager at Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2011

Dear Guest, thank you for choosing to stay at the Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre. We are happy to know that we have exceeded your expectations and genuinely appreciate the feedback. Pan Pacific Whistler loves welcoming familes and I am pleased to know that our complimentary baby amenities assisted in the care of your little one. We are now offering infant size robes to enjoy on your next visit.

Warmest Regards,
Nicole Leddy - Director of Rooms - Pan Pacific Whistler - nleddy@panpacific.com

Reviewed 11 December 2011

Got to hotel and they gave us a free upgrade hotel was lovely great buffet breakfast Starbucks on your door step great staff

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Cookandlight

Dear Guest, thank you for the feedback. We love spoiling our guests and I am pleased you were able to enjoy a complimentary upgrade to a larger suite. Return this Winter and you can also enjoy the complimentary hot buffet breakfast served daily.

Warmest Regards,