“Okay Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Coquitlam, BC
“Okay Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is is okay, nothing great. It is one of the newer ones. You can get a decent price for a room depending on which time of the year.

When we checked in the girl gave us the key and did not provide us with any information such as wifi pass, check out, etc.

Our room was pretty small but a lot of them are like that in whistler. It looked nice. Used the bathroom right away and noticed dried toothpaste in the sink and on the faucet. It just gives me the heebie jeebies thinking what else wasn't cleaned?! I phoned the front desk and she asked me if I wanted her to send up housekeeping. I said no, how about a clean room instead?? She put me on hold and then told me she would send up the bellboy with new room keys. We waited about 10 minutes standing by the door. She really didn't seem to care what so ever.

The bed was comfy. That night we stayed was quiet.

I would stay at this hotel again if the price was right. I would look at other options first. Sometimes you can get really good deals at better hotels too.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I came up for the Easter long weekend. The girl at check in did not offer anyone to assist with our luggage so by the time we parked there was no way we were going to make 5 trips up the stairs with our luggage. We drove back up and I had to ask for someone to help. Very disappointing first impression. The underground parking is nice but there are no signs! The room is nice and clean, has a fridge (no kitchenette) and the location and view are nice. The fitness room is small and the equipment is ok but not life fitness or precor (standard for better hotels). This hotel would be great if you are coming up with a stag or stagette- the pool and hot tub were packed with party goers. Definitely not relaxing. We won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't expect much. Not relaxing and the walls are too thin!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wendy M
ColinHedderson, General Manager at Aava Whistler Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012

I am very sorry to hear that our Bellman missed you on your arrival - certainly the parkade is not as convenient as our front entrance to arrive with lots of luggage, although we do have several elevators and bell carts available to assist in travelling to our guest rooms from this level if preferred.

Thank you for constructively pointing out other areas where we can improve such as additional signage and in some of our facilities. Aava remains one of Whistlers best accommodation values, offering the features, amenities, and services well beyond most hotels in our price range.

Our unobstructed pool and hot tub area is very popular following a day on the slopes, and at peak times, can be quite busy with friendly and smiling guests sharing the excitement and stories from their day. Certainly, this atmosphere does not suit every guest as it sounds like you were not in an "apres" frame of mind. You may have enjoyed more privacy and tranquility during the "off-peak" pool times, where many guests often enjoy the pool space in complete privacy.

I do hope you had a great weekend in Whistler, and thank you for joining us at Aava!

Colin Hedderson
Mackay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I along with our 2.5 year old son stayed at the Aava for 4 nights in March and the first thing I encounted was a very below average check-in. The lady at the front desk took all my details, credit card imprint passed me the keys and smiled. She didn't explain anything about the hotel, where I find our room, how to get to the parking gararge (which I had just paid for!), how to get our luggage to the rooms, nothing! I had to ask her several questions, serveal times just to get a helpfull answer. It was one of the worst check-in's I've ever had. This hotel is very basic just the essentials here and the small rooms are very very basic, however they were clean and the beds comfortable. Making your way between the bed and the desk is fine if the chair is tucked tightly into place and my husband wasn't sitting there on the computer. I would recommend putting your do not disturb sign on your door the night before if your thinking of a sleep-in. We were still dealing with the time difference and were asleep at 8.30 am when house keeping knocks on the door once and then opens the door (our fault we should have made sure it was properly locked) but after letting the lady know that we were fine and didn't want to have the room cleaned yet I get 2 phone calls from house keeping 10 minutes later!! I couldn't believe it, we told the lady at the door that we had a child sleeping and we didn't really need housekeeping today anyway - we'd only been there one night. I had to tell housekeeing on the phone that we were fine- again (there may have been a language barrier with the woman at the door). The outdoor hot tubs seemed to be the place to be and were always being used. There is a White Spot family restaurant across the road that is really good and is very resonably priced. The location of the hotel is fine as its on the edge of the village and is a short walk to anything you may need. If you get a room at this hotel for the right price - go for it! However, if your paying top dollar or there is another slightly more expensive place your looking at I think it would be money well spent to try somethig else. We're not going to stay here again and will spend the extra for something a bit nicer.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ColinHedderson, General Manager at Aava Whistler Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear "Ren95",

I just wanted to send a quick email to apologize for your visit to Aava being less less than perfect.

I am most disappointed by the details of your check-in experience. With much of the welcome experience and property introduction missing from your arrival, your "first impression experience" is certainly not the standard we are striving for, nor has it been a frequent comment from many of our previous guests.

You have provided us with some very detailed, and tremendously valuable feedback with which to improve our Front Desk and Housekeeping training, to help ensure that our future guests do not share the disappointing experiences you have described.

If ever you are able to return to Whistler, I would love to extend an invitation to join us at Aava, where I may personally ensure an improved guest experience, and a more comfortable and spacious room-type than you had experienced during this disappointing stay.

Again I thank you, and appreciate you taking the time to complete your TripAdvisor review.

Kindest regards,

Colin Hedderson
Aava Whistler
Bowmanville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Very friendly staff , hotel is very clean and modern as are the rooms, hot tub and pool outside have a great view of the mountains. There is a driving range beside the hotel for the summer golfers. White Spot restaurant shares the same entrance, good place to eat similar to Denny's in USA. Across the street 30 to 40 yards you are in the village without the big cost.

• Stayed April 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed at the Aava in Whistler for three nights a couple of weeks ago, having found a great deal online.
Turns out its very, very conveniently located for accessing the gondola and its a very nice contemporary design, not really much of the 'ski lodge' look that most places do in Whistler. So that was nice. Oh you could borrow one of those head camera's to record your day on the mountian.... for free!
We had a superior king room which was pretty big, over looked the pool, view of the village and mountains beyond. All very nice.
Then I got into bed and nearly lost my mind! It was luxurious beyond what I had imagined. The sheets were awesome, the pillow top mattress was luscious, the duvet was so cozy. We usually stay in another 5 star hotel in Whistler but the bed... omg the bed... we are going back for three more nights over Easter specifically because of that bed.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple