“Always a delight!”

Price range: USD 14 - USD 35
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Set in the heart of downtown Vernon in a historic CIBC heritage building. We have two floors. Week days in the summer upstairs is open Monday-Sunday with inside seating & a beautiful covered outdoor patio. Our dining room and main floor in the summer is open on Fridays & Saturdays at 5:00. Monday-Friday we are open for lunch straight through to dinner, Saturdays 4-10 for dinner, and on Sundays 4-9 for dinner. We look forward to seeing you!
Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have four young children so whenever we have a chance to get out we want to make it count and it’s never a miss going to The Phoenix Steakhouse and Bar! From the amazing owners, to the lovely staff and atmosphere, those only come second to the always amazing food! There’s something on the menu for everyone, whether vegetarian, steak lover or seafood connoisseur! And last,but not least, dining & drinks on the rooftop patio during the summer months...a definite added bonus here in Vernon! You gotta eat here!

Mcorrine, Owner at The Phoenix Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Hello kendrab121!

Thank you so much for your kind review :) I will pass along your awesome compliments to our staff!
We look forward to seeing you on the patio when it opens

Megan Frankiw

Reviewed 19 February 2018

There were 16 of us that went out for a Christmas dinner and I will honestly say I won't be going back, food overpriced and if you are hungry going in you will be when you leave. The only good thing was the server she gave great service but the rest not good. There are much better restaurants in Vernon for sure.

1  Thank pammattie

Hello pammattie,

Thank you for you TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your meal at your staff Christmas party. I am always there at Christmas parties and would have been happy to had your meal re-made or provide you with a different option, as would your server that gave great service as we never want anyone leaving unhappy.

Megan Frankiw

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

Had lunch today with 6 kids and a girlfriend of mine upstairs. I love everything about the Phoenix! The setting, the decor, the service, but most of all the food ! Everything was delicious! And being able to take my kids there and have them completely taken care of makes it fantastic !

Mcorrine, Owner at The Phoenix Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Hi Karmen R!

Thank you for coming in with your crew, we are so pleased to hear everyone enjoyed their time and food!
We will pass along the compliments on the food to our team.
We look forward to seeing you again everyone again

Megan & Charlie

Reviewed 30 January 2018

The Phoenix in Vernon BC is amazing! I always love this classic restuarnt no matter what I order. This time around I had the filet mignon, I don't usually order a steak but I am so glad I did. It was melt in your mouth fantastic. I also added the Supreme Oscar, it was to die for. My girlfriends and I are so excited to go back and try some different additions to our steaks. Love love this beautiful restaurant. I recommend this place to anyone whos looking for the perfect experience.

Hello cleetraveler!

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your kind words and are so pleased you enjoyed your time with your girlfriends. We will pass along the compliments to our entire team.

We look forward to seeing you again,
Megan & Charlie

Reviewed 29 January 2018

I really want to like this place. I really do, but this was our second disappointing experience here. The first time we were served a mediocre meal topped with a cartilage flapped knuckle end bit disguised as a half rack of ribs. this experience was no better.

First we started with a double Caesar and calamari, both of which we thought were very good last time. The Caesar was really good, the calamari alright, but I noticed that about half the order wasn't actually calamari but rather battered and fried yellow bell pepper, so there was actually very little calamari (seemed like a cost cutting attempt to me). The second Caesar we ordered was nothing like the first one and didn't even look like a Caesar (it was brown in color and tasted mostly of Worcestershire) and was missing the vegetable garnish.

The main course was a New York strip loin ordered medium rare but came out closer to blue/rare (a very rough cut, probably about 1/3 of it was indelible fat and gristle, the wife commented that she had never tried steak so raw). The sides of mash and veg were ok.
The champagne seafood linguini had spaghetti noodles instead of linguini noodles and was very small and completely mediocre for the almost $30 price tag
There was zero effort in presentation for both plates and no garnish or visual flair at all.

The service was fine throughout but it was at this point I complained about the overall poor quality of the meal and you could tell that the server was not used to getting complaints. Since the meal was paid for through my work we didn't make a big fuss (she kept asking me what I wanted from her, if I wanted the steak put back on the grill and what I wanted her to do about it. I just wanted them to be aware that we were disappointed but didn't feel it was worth any more than that) but if this is their regular standard of quality and consistency I would say its definitely below what one would expect from a high end steak house and makes it very hard to justify the price tag.

This is my problem with dining in this town. I'm not sure why everyone standards and expectations are so low but I can rarely justify eating out in Vernon because there is simply no quality or constancy and for the price you pay for one outing I can eat like a king for a week. I took the raw steak home, seasoned it myself and cooked it to a nice medium rare and got a little bit of enjoyment out of that at least.

1  Thank Byran H
Mcorrine, Owner at The Phoenix Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Hi Byran H,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on January 28, 2018 for a second time almost a year to the day of your last visit with us. My name is Megan, and as I was your server on Saturday night, and as you even mentioned, the owner of the Phoenix. I’d like to take to address some of you concerns regarding your most recent visit to our restaurant.
During your previous visit back in February 11, 2017, you had mentioned that you and your wife had the calamari, and it would be your “new gold standard” and the drinks were very well mixed. The calamari recipe hasn’t changed since your last visit and would have also had bell and jalapeno peppers mixed in with baby squid. These items are added into the calamari as a texture and flavour element, not as the “cost cutting measure” you mentioned. In terms of the second Caesar that your table ordered, the vegetable garnish you said was missing was actually the pickled green bean that was in it. We have chosen to use pickled green beans instead of a celery rib as means of adding a more pronounced flavour to the Caesar. It also appears as though you’re a connoisseur of Caesars and that no one can prepare them properly, or at least the second one.
Regarding the 12oz New York Striploin you ordered you mentioned it was gristly and fatty. It’s our largest and most popular hand cut steak we offer. We use Angus Reserve Alberta beef exclusively due to its top fat marbling and strict top 2% of animals only making the grade in Canada. Unfortunately, there will always be a bit of silver skin under the fat cap of the steak unless you completely remove the silver skin and fat cap all together. You also felt that the steak wasn’t prepared to your specific doneness, and I offered to have the entire meal prepared again for you, but you declined.
To address your concerns regarding the Champagne Linguini, we purchase handmade Italian Fresh Pasta due to its excellent texture and Al Dente characteristics VS a dried variety that you can commonly find. The inhouse made sauce is made using a blend of creams, imported cheeses, and Champagne. It’s one of our most popular items on the menu and is competitively priced at $26, not the $30 that seem to believe it was at. We also use a seafood combination of 26/30ct tiger prawns, Alaskan King Crab Leg meat, and beautiful 30/40ct Atlantic Bay Scallops.
You indeed did speak directly with me regarding your meal and the fact that you knew I was the owner while I was at your table. I personally discussed with you each of the issues you have stated in your review. Several times I offered you a different selection from the menu and each time you declined it.
As you were paying with a Company Gift Card that you received as a Christmas Gift from your employer, who has been purchasing them from us for their employees for several years now, I really wanted to ensure that we did everything we could do for you and your wife. You declined anything to be made for you and packed up meals and took them home. It appears that not only have we let you down, that strangely enough several other locally owned family business’ in Vernon, that can’t seem to meet or exceed the expectations that you and your wife have regarding dining experiences.
Hopefully you can find a restaurant here in Vernon that you can enjoy, and one that we can mention to your employer that would prefer a gift card from for your next Christmas Gift. At least you won’t have to do the dishes wherever you decide to go.
Sincerely