“I just love the smell of the spices when I drive by”

Caribbean Village Cafe
Ranked #588 of 1,258 Restaurants in Victoria
Price range: USD 2 - USD 10
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Buffet, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Hillside - Quadra - Downtown Blanshard
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I can't remember how many times I've driven down Quadra St near Hillside Ave and smelled this intoxicating aroma of spices. I spotted this place kinda yellow coloured painted outside and the sign Caribbean Cafe.

I've located the source of the smell of spices. This is not your fancy pants place for decor. It's perfect the focus is on the FOOD. They have curried goat, and on the other end of the spectrum they have cinnamon rolls.

I had curried beef and curried chicken and a cinnamon roll.
Outstanding! All made from scratch and the cinnamon roll had a hint of citrus and spice.

I got mine to take home to share and the reviews were exactly the same.

I just love these places, no phony pretentious people to serve you.
Sometimes it's the cook himself James.

Home cooked food. Very good indeed.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

My family used to love this place when we lived in Victoria 6 years ago. This place a was frequent stop for us. Admittedly, unless it's changed, the tables and floors could be cleaner, but the food is amazing, James was always so friendly to us! While not my favorite place to sit in, the take out is always mouth watering all the way home! Loved the rice and butter chicken!

Reviewed 20 August 2017

Recently I arranged to meet a friend at a restaurant up the block, but she went here instead. Don't ask. Anyway, she ended up bringing her food and coffee up to the other restaurant and kept raving about how good it was. So after eating lunch at my restaurant, we went back here for coffee and I picked up things to go home. I had wonderful samosa and macaroons which were to die for. The service was basically non existent, but the coffee was very good and my take out (which is the same as what you get there if you stay) was very good.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

I don't mind eating in dives, especially if a place has history or killer food. Unfortunately, this little cafe is dive-y with average food. The patties and samosas we had were dry. If you're dead set on having this cuisine, perhaps this will hit the spot - but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Reviewed 3 March 2017

Delicious food, charming staff, and a unique setting. The samosas and jerk chicken were outstanding. Five marks out of five.