All reviews no elevator beacon hill park emily carr restaurant downstairs quaint hotel short walk horse drawn few blocks three blocks flights of stairs nice neighborhood dallas road government street third floor heritage house an older hotel main building
Reviewed 10 July 2017

We stayed here one night and that was the only problem we had. I would have loved staying another night or two. This is an older, quaint hotel so if you are looking for a modern soulless place, you might want to look elsewhere.

The hotel is a short walk from the harbor, but situated in an area with a residential feel. A nice lobby welcomed us and the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. We had a room on the second floor, that was comfortable and large enough for the two of us and our bags. Bathroom was very large with a shower with the best pressure I've experienced in a long time. No air conditioner, but since the evening cooled, sleeping was not a problem. Wifi was fast and reliable.

I enjoyed a well priced cocktail in the lively and friendly pub. Had breakfast in the restaurant where the egg Benedict was tasty and service was efficient and friendly.

I will happily stay here again if I return to Victoria.

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed 7 July 2017

Actually very close to the harbour area (maybe an easy 10 minute walk), but away from the crowds and noise. Ate dinner and breakfast here and no complaints, no lines and great food! The room was small but this is an older hotel and has quite a charming ambiance.

Reviewed 2 July 2017

We have enjoyed many stays at the JBI over the years: always clean, always friendly, always comfortable. The rates are extremely reasonable as well. But the heart of this hotel lies in its staff. This past visit we were especially impressed by two young people who went the extra mile to make us feel welcome: Jovan (not sure of the spelling) on the front desk and Julia, who is a server in the restaurant. Both just super pleasant and delightful. But one incident during this past trip really cemented my positive impression of this hotel. One evening, on returning to our room after a day exploring, I discovered that my iPad charger was missing. The cleaning staff had been in during our absence, and my first reaction was disappointment and suspicion. Then I noticed that the fan that had been making use of the same outlet had been unplugged. I wondered if both had been unplugged in order to vacuum, and my charger simply misplaced. Sure enough, the next day it had been returned from the laundry to the front desk! I was so grateful for the honesty I had almost doubted, and for the extra bit of effort the staff employed to get this small item back to me.
Did I mention that the breakfasts are amazing in the restaurant?
And free coffee in the lobby every morning?
And 15% off coupons for meals in the restaurant - and you can ask daily at the front desk for another coupon for the next day's meal?
And walking distance to the harbour, Beacon Hill Park, a grocery store, and more?
And a lovely balcony on each floor where one can sit and read, enjoy the view, and maybe visit with other guests?
The hotel is old, no question, but it is delightful! The ONLY drawback is no air conditioning, which isn't usually an issue in Victoria, because it cools off at night. This last trip the weather was extremely hot, and we were very glad for our little electric fan!

Room tip: Embrace the hotel's character!
1  Thank Joanne P
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for one night recently. I left it late so choice was limited. Lesson in that is to book early as you can. The hotels is pretty basic but adequate. The room was accordingly equipped. It is fairly close to down town, and the walk to the harbour is easy and very picturesque. There is a pub/restaurant but it closes early (10 pm I think). I don't think the room had AC and there was no elevator. One upside is it is a very nice old building. If you are in a pinch, James Bay will do.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

The hotel was clean the staff friendly. Very nice large room good wi fi. Within walking distance of the harbor and had free parking. It is not a new hotel but very charming and i would stay there again.

Trip type: Travelled solo