“It is arestaurant for a certain type of market.”

Giardino Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 4,133 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: USD 30 - USD 76
Neighbourhood: West End
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed 6 September 2018

I really wanted to like this more. It felt like a minimum effort for a well established restaurant. The food was incredibly salty. And when they say lobster salad, it is just that, Lobster and lettuce. The atmosphere outside was nice. The service was solid, but I felt rushed. I felt sorry for the couple trying to have a romantic dinner crammed in by the kitchen door.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

Enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Giardino last evening. The food was excellent from the featured special appetizer of buffalo mozzarella & tomatoes, to the perfectly cooked pasta with asparagus & goat cheese to the delicious traditional tiramisu dessert. The restaurant was busy but service was attentive and helpful. I was by myself as in town after attending a wedding and server Steph was friendly, asking me where I was from and what my plans were while in Vancouver. All in all an enjoyable dining experience.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

I had high expectations and they were not met nor exceeded.
I tried the bison carpaccio (special) and the antipasto plate with salami and pecorino. Both were good, the carpaccio was a little chewy - because it was so soft it didn't cut or break apart easily. The antipasto plate was good, the cheeses were boring though - not super flavorful.
For mains, I tried the pesto penne with chicken and the linguine vongole. The penne was dry, and the sauce wasn't flavorful. The chicken was tender but tasted very plain. The vongole was okay, there was a fair amount of fresh clams served in their shell, no baby clams which is good. The white wine/garlic sauce was more flavorful than the penne, but the pasta noodles themselves were very al dente and were clearly dried pasta - not fresh pasta which I think would have improved the dish.
For dessert I had the almond cannoli. The sorbetto it came with was amazing and probably the best thing I had the entire evening. The cannoli itself was okay, I don't love cannolis so maybe it was good by cannoli standards but it didn't impress me. The three or four small berries it was served with were quite sour.
Service wise, we were seated for a few minutes and it seemed no one had noticed we were there so we had to flag someone down. Once we did get a server though she was great and very nice. Our waters and wine glasses were kept filled.
Customers here on a Wednesday night seem mostly older (40+) and the place seems popular for special occasions.
Their bar seating is nice and overall the vibe inside and on the patio is really nice. I had wanted to try this place for a while, but I think once is enough. The food on its own is not incentive enough to return.

Reviewed 30 August 2018

got a recommendation for this place from a server at a different restaurant and it did not disappoint. We had the lasagna and the fettuccine with prosciutto and peas and both were outstanding. Good wine selection, the tiramisu was some of the best we've had. the outdoor patio was great to enjoy the beautiful summer evening in Vancouver

Reviewed 28 August 2018

I had the pleasure of dining here with friends recently!! It was perfect from food to service. I took the plunge and ordered Halibut which I rarely do in a restaurant as mostly it’s always over cooked. Well not here by any stretch it was perfection! The sides of vegetables and cannelini beans were also delectable! One of my companions had the same and I was delighted to try the other friends deer entree which melted in my mouth! The cannoli dessert was light and mouthwatering. Can’t wait to visit again when I’m in Vancouver!,