“Delicious”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central
Description: Authentic Japanese cuisine in a fun and electric atmosphere. Try this restaurant for the fantastic food and experience.
Reviewed 8 June 2016

We had a reservation for dinner, so did not have to wait.
Very lively place, good food and service . We ordered sachimi, oysters, ramen hot pot and beef salad. Everything was delicious but found the beef salad on the salty side.
Nevertheless, it was a great meal.

Date of visit: May 2016
Write a reviewReviews (335)

Reviewed 5 June 2016

Food is izakaya style and very authentic. There is always a line since they don't take reservations. They have a few other branches, but each serve slightly different menus.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 4 June 2016

I read that there can be lines here--and I can see why. Luckily I went late on a Tuesday night and I was solo, so no waiting for me. I got a seat at the bar.
I think going with two or three other people would be perfect--so you can share the small plates and try more!
I had 3 small plates: the fried chicken, salmon sashimi, and oysters with ponzu sauce. All were very good. I also had the mojito, which they make with the Japanese soda--mild, but nice.
The parties around me seemed to really be enjoying their food, too.
Note: It can get loud. It's one of those japanese places where the staff are always yelling things back and forth, which can make it fun and lively, but it's loud.

Reviewed 21 May 2016

Our group tried: Sea urchin, grilled sea bass, big eye tuna, the kimchi udon, yaki udon, the kabocha croquette (pumpkin and boiled egg), the kakuni (stewed pork belly, daikon & boiled egg), kurage (they call it imitation jellyfish; it's glass noodles), fried chicken, and fried chicken gristle. There were four of us and we ordered such a variety of dishes because the plates are fairly small. For drinks, a couple of people ordered Cherry Blossoms (a ramune cocktail). For those with a taste for adventure, Guu has wonderful food. The atmosphere is intimate and fun...like an old-fashioned Japanese noodle place. Recommend you look at the menu on-line (guu-izakaya.com/menu-original) before stopping by, just in case the cuisine isn't to everyone's taste.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

We ate here while on a weekend trip to Vancouver. We wanted a light and fairly inexpensive dinner and this place fit the bill. We ate almost exclusively off the daily menu which had a lot of interesting options including bacon mushroom yakisoba, fried curry croquette, and Chinese broccoli. We also had some sashimi which tasted very fresh.The restaurant is quite small and has a fun, lively atmosphere- the staff do a lot of yelling which I think is part of thier brand. They were playing pop/dance hits - if you want a quiet place for a date this is not the place, but if you want a fun place to eat before a night out on the town this is the perfect restaurant.

Date of visit: April 2016