“Inventive Cuisine”

Cuisines: Tibetan, Nepalese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Davie Village
Reviewed 4 August 2018

I joined some friends for dinner here and I am so glad that I did. The menu is expansive and offers a wide-range of tastes for vegetarians and non-vegetarians. The presentation is no frills, but the flavors make up for the basic plating. I agree with other reviewers that the service was a bit odd. It was hard to get our server's attention to order, ask for more water, or request the check. The staff seemed to be very stressed and as a diner this was a little awkward. With that said, the servers and host were incredibly friendly and because of this I will totally return.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Myself and my two friends were very excited to eat here. We've walked by several times and decided this time to go in. It was a nice night so we decided to sit on their patio. When we walked thru the restaurant there was only one table dining inside and outside there was a large party of around 15 people. We sat at our table for 10 minutes before anyone even came and offered us anything. By the time someone came to take our order we had our drinks and food order ready to go as we'd been sitting what felt like forever. Our server didn't write down one thing and I thought that was odd. We order two of their signature cocktails off their drink menu and a Heineken. We also asked for a round of waters. Each drink took 5 minutes to come out to the table and the drinks came one at a time. I myself work as a server and properly all our drinks should have came out together but instead they were staggered and what's most bizarre was the Heineken took the longest to arrive. Eventually our drinks were in front of us and we were excited to eat the food we ordered. So we thought. My friend ordered the vegetarian platter which he picked over their meat platter because the meat platter had goat and my friend wasn't too keen on eating goat. When our food finally arrived, of course my friend was given the meat platter instead (perhaps if the server wrote down the order this could have been avoided?). When we tried to explain to the waitress that this was the wrong dish she just seemed confused. We had already waited long enough so my friend was like whatever I'll eat the other meats but really he wanted the veggie dishes cause he wanted something different. We ordered our food medium hot to extra hot yet they were too busy to ever bring us water. When I'm eating flavourful spicy foods, water is all I really want to drink not alcohol. Eventually water was provided after we finished our dinners. The whole experience was amateur and unenjoyable. I know a big group can make it difficult on serving staff and the kitchen but if a party of 15 throws the whole restaurant out of whack, then they should have closed early or advised us that service will be taking longer than a typical evening. Our table felt like we were a burden. The serving staff were much more concerned about cleaning up from the big party then doing any sort of quality check or refilling our waters. I guess one glass of water is all I'm allowed to have. When our server finally came around and asked how everything was I had to be honest and let him know the truth about our dinning experience. He listened but in the end wasn't really genuine. We paid our bills and left the place feeling so ripped off and underwhelmed. It's a shame because the other reviews talk about how lovely this place is, I wish our table got to experience that Gurkha. 0 out of 10.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 1 May 2018

I was with family and wanted a restaurant that could meet everyone's needs including my vegetarian wants.

Within easy walking distance of our hotel on Robson Street, this is a small restaurant in a converted house and up some stairs.

The food was really good quality and very filling. We ended up ordering a selection of dishes and just putting them in the middle of the table so we could all try them. Very tasty and I did feel reminiscent of our time in Tibet.

The cost of the meal was very reasonable. In fact I think quite possibly our best value meal while in Vancouver. Staff were also very helpful too. We were the only people for part of the time so we were able to have a chat with them too which was nice.

Totally happy to recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My wife, daughter our local friend and I drove for the to Mt Whistler for the day and on our way back decided to stop at this restaurant for some Momos. We ordered veggie and chicken momos and some bbqed Shish Kebab. Food came out moist and spices just right not too heavy. Food was cooked just right. Owner of the restaurant served us. He was very professional and courteous. If you are craving for Nepali / Tibetan dumplings (Momos), I think this is the place. I still have to try other food to make any review on them. So far it's been good experience. I will visit again soon.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 5 March 2018

I have visited Gurkha 3 times now and I feel like I have been less satisfied each time.
It is a family run business and they seemed to be training someone new as we were forgotten at first, followed by our pitcher of beer being mostly head. The manager did give us more properly poured beer which was appreciated. They didn't have any Nepali beer available, something I was looking forward to reminiscing over. I found the food was mediocre, I had the Vegetarian Dhal Bat, but it wasn't exciting in any way and I was disappointed by the whole wheat flour tortilla as bread. For $21 this was not reasonable. Unfortunately I think this will be my last visit.

Date of visit: March 2018