“Great way to see much of the best of Vancouver”
Review of Art Wheelers - CLOSED

Art Wheelers
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This tour shows some of the best of Vancouver. It combined my two interests, bicycling and art. The route is easy as it follows the virtually all flat waterfronts in Vancouver, which are incredibly scenic. The tour is good because the information given covers the history of why the city commisions the sculptures, and they are site specific to the history of the spot. Even though i have grown up in Vancouver, i did not know this art history of our public sculptures. I now appreciate these sculptures that are not of the stunning, beautiful type, (well, except for the spectaculare 'A-Mazing-Laughter' one) but are meaningful to Vancouver..Because of this, I think this would be an excellent tour for a tourist visiting Vancouver. It is also great for long time Vancouverites because of all the recent changes in the areas of the city. (I had no idea there is a beach/mini forest island off of the Olympic Village). You will really get a feel for the city's roots. It was lovely seeing all the people enjoying themselves in numerous ways, including the large Hawaii dance troupe practicing their hula moves, and the hilarious pampered dogs being transported on bikes... The tour guide was very well spoken and knew her subject. The two women conducting the tour were very attentive. I was amazed that when I inconveniently got a flat tire, one of the guides actually insisted that I continue on with her bike, while she walk my bike to the end of the tour where she did meet us. What service! This tour was worth the 20.00., which goes to a youth charity.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

My wonderful friend surprised me with this tour as part of my birthday evening out. I am so glad she did! I was a tourist in my own town as I had never been along this route and had never even noticed some of the amazing art sculptures and displays before while driving by. It was a beautiful evening, an easy, pleasant ride and it makes me appreciate living in this diverse city even more. Thank you Carol Ann and Katie (and Anne!) for a great experience!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

A bike tour is a great way to see a selection of Vancouver's impressive outdoor art installations which one tends to overlook when travelling by car. The pace was gentle, the seawall bike paths are lovely and our guide Carol Ann was highly informative and willing to take the time to answer all sorts of questions. The tour is suitable for all ages and fitness levels. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 7 July 2012

I have never been a big cyclist, but in the last few years I have learned that the best way to see a city is by bike. A friend told me about the Art Wheelers tour and so I decided to check it out last summer in its inaugural year.

The tour leader, Rosemary, was extremely knowledgeable. Although the focus of the tour is checking out public art installations around the city, its a great way to get a sense of the city if you've never been. The tour leader was even able to slip me a restaurant recommendation or two!

I learned so much about the role of art in enriching the relatively new cityscape, got the "lay of the land" and met some great people. I would definitely rate this as one of the "must dos" in Vancouver. Get beyond the fray of the crowds in Stanely park and enjoy the scenery!

I should also note that you don't have to be a "hard core" cyclist to do this tour, and that bike rentals are readily available. We were easily able to rent bikes to participate in the tour.