“OK stay, but expensive for summer”

Days Inn Vancouver Metro
Ranked #73 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 1 August 2017

Spent 5 nights in July over a weekend. Reception desk manager was friendly, we arrived early afternoon, with little wait on a Thursday.

We received a room on the 2nd floor. No elevator, so if you have a lot of luggage, stay on the 1st floor. Our room faced the drive-thru of McDonalds. If muffled noise from car engines and the drive thru speaker bothers you, ask for a room on the other side of the motel. At night, the curtain facing McDonalds should be longer, since outdoor lighting crept in under the curtains.

Room had two double beds with adequate space. Room features look updated, like the beds, wall decorations, flat screen TV, small desk, and drawers. However, they should have finished upgrading. Closet had an old ironing board and could tell the closet had been painted over. Refrigerator could barely chill anything. Bathroom tiles look old, and can see old radiator pipes hidden in the walls. No screen on window, so flies can get in. Room has a wooden floor that looked old. Free Wifi worked in room. Regarding soundproofing, I heard loud noises in the inner courtyard. Overall, though, motel is quiet.

Housekeeping had pluses and minuses. When we left clothes or my son's stuffed toys in the bed, the housekeeper neatly placed it on top of the bed. However, 3 out of 5 nights, we were short on face towels and one floor towel. Management was efficient and gave us towels upon request.

Breakfast in the basement was simple. Toast, bagels, cereals, packaged oatmeal, yogurt, boiled eggs already shelled, fruit, milk, OJ, apple juice, and coffee. Busy on the weekend, but we always managed to get a seat.

Motel is within 30-40 minutes to major tourist sites. Less than 15 minutes to downtown without traffic. Barely used a half-tank of gas for 6 days. While parking is free, signs on the outside of the motel warn about protecting your car from theft. Narrow entrance to parking lot from Kingsway, better to enter the back of lot from the side street.

Overall, a decent stay. However, I felt the room rates in summer are too high for this quality of motel. Perhaps in the off-season we would stay here again, but for peak season, I might want to spend more money for a higher quality hotel.

Room Tip: Room not on the side facing McDonalds may be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
DaysInnMetro, Operations Manager at Days Inn Vancouver Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write your review, Sean Barrington, Operations Manager.

There are newer reviews for Days Inn Vancouver Metro

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Had to book this place due to sudden plan to Vancouver and I'll say that wasn't a good decision, but lack of choice. Front desk lady was very friendly and got my room ready pretty quickly. The room wasn't very clean and the odor wasn't pleasant. The floor was kinda sticky. Morning breakfast was just for namesake. Wifi sucks. Fortunately, the room had good sound insulation and I had good sleep. Next time, Personally I'd look for some other place.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank ManishKumar2016
Reviewed 27 June 2017

shower and tv didn't work - was told on phone 'how to fix' the tv. Front desk person was very friendly and was a do it all type of gent. TV and shower did get fixed, but why should one have to ask. Person checking in beside me paid $30 less than I did.. has to do with their booking policy..?? Felt sticky, dirty, and not safe.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
DaysInnMetro, Operations Manager at Days Inn Vancouver Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

We offer various different discounts. The two most popular are, "Stay 3 nights save 20% and, "Book 14 Days in advance save 20%." Generally for hotels in a big city, the earlier you make your reservation the lower the rate is going to be. I am sorry that your stay was not more enjoyable, Sean Barrington, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

I asked myself whether I would stay there again. The answer was 'no'. So obviously it was not too great. It had all the basics you would expect of a motel in an average part of a big city, but it just wasn't very appealing. Our room was facing directly on to busy Kingsway so there was traffic all night. The sound insulation was reasonably effective but I cannot say it was a peaceful night.

Overall, if you need somewhere to stay for a night that is not outrageously expensive and relatively near to the airport, the Days Inn is a possibility. Personally I would look for some place else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the main road
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Seven out of our sixty-six rooms do face Kingsway so for guests that are sensitive sleepers please call the hotel and request a room away from Kingsway. We are not located in downtown Vancouver, we are almost exactly in between the airport and downtown. All of our guests receive free parking. Our location offers our guests great access to the public transportation, both the bus and the Skytrain. Thanks for giving us a try, Sean Barrington, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

Unless you are into traps, or crack shacks, this place is NOT for you.
If the outside of the building isn't enough to scare you away, the staff certainly will.
The general odor of the building is nauseating, but just wait until you get into your very own broom closet they call a room!
I'd be actually scared to stay a night in this place, for fear of getting shot or maybe carried away by a family of overgrown cockroaches.
We were in this hotel for 20 minutes and got into two separate fights about getting our deposit back while trying to get a refund on this hell hole.
Do not, I repeat do not waste your time booking this hotel, or you will spend the next hour rebooking a new hotel and fighting with hotel staff.

We are happy to pay an extra 50 dollars and stay right downtown at the Empire Landmark.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sascha R
DaysInnMetro, Operations Manager at Days Inn Vancouver Metro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2017

There was no fighting from my staff or myself. When you said you were unhappy about your room we told you to call Expedia, you could check out and you would not be charged, no problem. We are a very busy hotel and we do not force guests to stay with us. I hope you enjoyed the City of Vancouver, Sean Barrington, Operations Manager.