All reviews bunk beds folk music festival booked a private room common areas free breakfast ubc
Reviewed 30 September 2017

I do not have much experience with hostels so I cannot comment on this one in comparison to others. I do know although that this place could use a good thorough cleaning. Location is nice although, very close to the beach.

Room Tip: Book a private room.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2017

This is possibly the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. No plug sockets in the rooms, which are essentially large arm dorm-type rooms, with little privacy between huge rows of bunk-beds. The only place to charge your phone is out near reception, of which there are only a couple, (or for some reason there was one socket in the dorm about 7 foot up on the wall near the ceiling?) not really enough for an entire hostel!! WIFI wasn't really working in the dorms. The kitchen is just disgusting, mouldy pans everywhere and smells like sour milk. The bathrooms for our rooms were across from the reception, meaning you have to walk past a busy reception at any hour you need to shower - little privacy. The staff at the front desk were disinterested and rude - particularly the guy who sat playing his guitar at reception, ignoring people trying to check-in. We arrived late and the cafe was shut, vending machines all broken, and there are no food shops nearby, so we went hungry. The only one tiny redeeming feature is that it's near the beach. Overall, definitely the worst hostel I've ever stayed at - definitely don't stay here!!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anna_Lucy132
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I booked into a private double room for a little more security as I had a lot of luggage. The first few nights of my stay, there was a loud guy in the room next to me who would wake up in the early hours and yell pretty aggressive stuff (including pretty inflammatory sexist and racists terms) up and down the hallway to nobody in particular. The walls are paper thin so you were guaranteed no sleep. When I raised this issue with the reception and mentioned that I was feeling pretty uncomfortable with it, they said that it sounded pretty bad from my description, but there wasn't anything I could do about it and they advised me that he'd be going the following morning. So then, with no money to book another hotel for a night, I had to go to sleep fully expecting the guy to start yelling down the hallway again all night! And this was in a private room - I dread to think how scary sharing a dorm with him would be. Honestly, I was mentally psyched to phone the police if he kicked off again. To the best of my knowledge, the guy left for that night anyway.

The toilet facilities were pretty clean for a hostel so that was good. The room was kind of gross around the edges (stray hairs! lots of them!). The shared kitchen was post-apocalyptic during my stay (hello mouldy pans everywhere).

Also, the cafe operates separately to the hostel. It has great breakfast and good service. However the receptionist, when asked, could not tell me the opening hours. It's attached to the hostel!!

Another word to the wise - there isn't an elevator so you will need to take heavy luggage upstairs yourself or ask for assistance.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank EGal94
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Stayed in a dorm room with 16 people. Only one light switch and no plugs in the room. Had to stay in a communal area charging phone/camera for the evening rather than exploring the area. Staff were very rude and unhelpful.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Feels like you are actually in jail.
Mad parties to rear of the hostel that looks like is mostly staff on or off duty.
Dorms are noisy with no sockets to charge your phone etc.
Kitchen is filthy as are the toilets.
Staff are not friendly in the slightest & look like they don't want to be there.
Terrible atmosphere with not many people socializing.
Worst hostel I have stayed at ever.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo