“Terrible! AVOID!! MADE ME SICK.”

and 1 more site!
Hostelling International Vancouver Jericho Beach Hostel
Reviewed 12 October 2017

I had heard about this hostel from people in my tour group, who were complaining about how terrible it was. I thought, hey it can't be that bad... oh how I was wrong.
It's a real shame, because the hostel looks promising from the outside. We stayed in the large 18 bed dorm, which I can only describe as feeling like a hospital ward. Some peoples beds were not made, didn't have mattresses on the beds yet, and dirty linen. There is only one plug socket (if you're lucky enough to locate it/be tall enough to reach it) in the room. Not ideal. People had to resort to charging their phones in the bathroom, laundry room and the hallway.
The kitchen was gross.
The bathrooms were disgusting. The showers were horrific. I've never been to prison, but this is how I'd imagine their showers to be. No privacy at all. Why have wooden slats in a shower. WHY? That's totally impractical. The bathrooms/showers are also across the lobby, so you have to walk through everyone in your pjs. Not the best.
This place also made me unwell. After staying here, I was covered in ringworm. COVERED.
No joke, someone had pitched a tent outside. Probably took one look at the place and cried.

The only good thing about this place was the fact that it was a bonding experience for my tour group and I. We survived Jericho Beach. We could do anything. Also, watching the sunset on the beach was pretty cute. But that is all.

Stayed: September 2017
HI-VancouverJericho, General Manager at Hostelling International Vancouver Jericho Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. We take feedback like yours very seriously and thank you for providing it.

As a seasonal property, we're fortunate to be able to begin new each year. We have changes underway to address many of the issues you have outlined here. Renovations are about to begin on the washrooms, which will bring in new shower stalls and increase privacy. We will begin dorm upgrades as well, looking to address beds, floors and exploring ways to bring in more power points. We have also recently hired a new housekeeping supervisor to address the cleanliness concerns and work towards a higher standard when hiring and training for next year.

Again, I'm truly sorry to hear of your experience. Rest assured your feedback has been taken seriously and will help inform the improvements we make going forward.

- Stephen
Manager, HI Vancouver Jericho Beach

Reviewed 30 September 2017

I do not have much experience with hostels so I cannot comment on this one in comparison to others. I do know although that this place could use a good thorough cleaning. Location is nice although, very close to the beach.

Room Tip: Book a private room.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2017

This is possibly the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. No plug sockets in the rooms, which are essentially large arm dorm-type rooms, with little privacy between huge rows of bunk-beds. The only place to charge your phone is out near reception, of which there are only a couple, (or for some reason there was one socket in the dorm about 7 foot up on the wall near the ceiling?) not really enough for an entire hostel!! WIFI wasn't really working in the dorms. The kitchen is just disgusting, mouldy pans everywhere and smells like sour milk. The bathrooms for our rooms were across from the reception, meaning you have to walk past a busy reception at any hour you need to shower - little privacy. The staff at the front desk were disinterested and rude - particularly the guy who sat playing his guitar at reception, ignoring people trying to check-in. We arrived late and the cafe was shut, vending machines all broken, and there are no food shops nearby, so we went hungry. The only one tiny redeeming feature is that it's near the beach. Overall, definitely the worst hostel I've ever stayed at - definitely don't stay here!!!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anna_Lucy132
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I booked into a private double room for a little more security as I had a lot of luggage. The first few nights of my stay, there was a loud guy in the room next to me who would wake up in the early hours and yell pretty aggressive stuff (including pretty inflammatory sexist and racists terms) up and down the hallway to nobody in particular. The walls are paper thin so you were guaranteed no sleep. When I raised this issue with the reception and mentioned that I was feeling pretty uncomfortable with it, they said that it sounded pretty bad from my description, but there wasn't anything I could do about it and they advised me that he'd be going the following morning. So then, with no money to book another hotel for a night, I had to go to sleep fully expecting the guy to start yelling down the hallway again all night! And this was in a private room - I dread to think how scary sharing a dorm with him would be. Honestly, I was mentally psyched to phone the police if he kicked off again. To the best of my knowledge, the guy left for that night anyway.

The toilet facilities were pretty clean for a hostel so that was good. The room was kind of gross around the edges (stray hairs! lots of them!). The shared kitchen was post-apocalyptic during my stay (hello mouldy pans everywhere).

Also, the cafe operates separately to the hostel. It has great breakfast and good service. However the receptionist, when asked, could not tell me the opening hours. It's attached to the hostel!!

Another word to the wise - there isn't an elevator so you will need to take heavy luggage upstairs yourself or ask for assistance.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Stayed in a dorm room with 16 people. Only one light switch and no plugs in the room. Had to stay in a communal area charging phone/camera for the evening rather than exploring the area. Staff were very rude and unhelpful.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple