“Poorly Managed Hostel”

and 1 more site!
Hostelling International Vancouver Jericho Beach Hostel
Reviewed 7 September 2017

I booked into a private double room for a little more security as I had a lot of luggage. The first few nights of my stay, there was a loud guy in the room next to me who would wake up in the early hours and yell pretty aggressive stuff (including pretty inflammatory sexist and racists terms) up and down the hallway to nobody in particular. The walls are paper thin so you were guaranteed no sleep. When I raised this issue with the reception and mentioned that I was feeling pretty uncomfortable with it, they said that it sounded pretty bad from my description, but there wasn't anything I could do about it and they advised me that he'd be going the following morning. So then, with no money to book another hotel for a night, I had to go to sleep fully expecting the guy to start yelling down the hallway again all night! And this was in a private room - I dread to think how scary sharing a dorm with him would be. Honestly, I was mentally psyched to phone the police if he kicked off again. To the best of my knowledge, the guy left for that night anyway.

The toilet facilities were pretty clean for a hostel so that was good. The room was kind of gross around the edges (stray hairs! lots of them!). The shared kitchen was post-apocalyptic during my stay (hello mouldy pans everywhere).

Also, the cafe operates separately to the hostel. It has great breakfast and good service. However the receptionist, when asked, could not tell me the opening hours. It's attached to the hostel!!

Another word to the wise - there isn't an elevator so you will need to take heavy luggage upstairs yourself or ask for assistance.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Stayed in a dorm room with 16 people. Only one light switch and no plugs in the room. Had to stay in a communal area charging phone/camera for the evening rather than exploring the area. Staff were very rude and unhelpful.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Feels like you are actually in jail.
Mad parties to rear of the hostel that looks like is mostly staff on or off duty.
Dorms are noisy with no sockets to charge your phone etc.
Kitchen is filthy as are the toilets.
Staff are not friendly in the slightest & look like they don't want to be there.
Terrible atmosphere with not many people socializing.
Worst hostel I have stayed at ever.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Dwayne M
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

The owners of this place are taking advantage of people. The place is in need of major investment. The rooms are very dated and dirty and are a complete lie of the pictures that you see online! The staff are beyond rude, they have no interest in being there! The cleanliness of the hostel is the worst I have seen in 11 months of travelling around the world! The bathrooms and kitchen looks like it's never been cleaned for days! The staff need sacking. Even though the site says free parking, this means parking no were near the hostel in a unsafe area! We meet someone who had there car broken into, on the street the hostel 'claimed' was there free parking. Everything about this place is a joke! You will not sleep at night, it's so noisy! Hi international should be ashamed to claim this as one of the hostel. Take my tip, from someone who has stayed in 100+ hostels. Avoid avoid avoid !!!!!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bruce1111111
Reviewed 31 May 2017

The best thing about the place is its location really close to the beach where you can go and enjoy a great view on Vancouver and a stunning sunset. it's a bit far from shops though. Not convenient without a car. If the hostel could offer shuttles it would be perfect.
Reception was friendly and free towels for guests is a must.
The dorm is alright and 4 beds sections are a good idea for more privacy. The main thing that really bothered me was the one single lightening for the whole dorm (18beds) which means that if you're trying to sleep and someone comes in and switch on the light, you'll suddenly have a strong light above you (especially if you have been given a top bed). And of course people don't switch off when leaving the room. I'm used to hostels and noise, so usually it doesn't bother me but I had one of my worst night there. Plugs accessible for top beds would be convenient too.
Bathrooms were alright in general. Showers without any shelves and any privacy but just a curtain aren't the best though.
Didn't use the kitchen but when I passed through is wasn't quite dirty. Maybe bad timing.
The restaurant is way over-priced, especially for a hostel. The burger&fries I had weren't really good (fries not well defrost) so I didn't come back for breakfast.
WiFi in my dorm was working pretty well but I heard it's not the case everywhere.

I really liked the location and the price was pretty cheap but the place itself is a bit disappointing which is sad because with a few renovation work, it could be really great!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo