All reviews bunk beds folk music festival booked a private room common areas free breakfast ubc
Reviewed 4 October 2016

Just as well I did not read the reviews before I stayed here. As it was my first time staying at a hostel, I have nothing to compare it to.
Pro comments:
Location - the handy (and frequently served) public transit route was nearby. A great map was provided at the front desk for the aforesaid bus. The nearest bus stop was less than 10 minutes walk away. (If it had not been an up-hill walk to the bus stop, the time would have been under 5 minutes.)
I opted for an all-female dorm which had friendly people staying there - the ones I interacted with were clean, quiet and helpful. (I was in Vancouver for an athletic competition and a few of the people at the hostel were there for the same reason.)
The locker to store my "stuff" was an eye-opener - because I had not thought about where it was going to be stowed while I was away during the day. It was a WONDERFUL locker! So large that I could have brought along another suitcase. (I did NOT need any more luggage, trust me.)
I tried out the cafe/pub for one meal. Not bad and not overly expensive, but due to food allergies I opted to feed myself in the kitchen. (My schedule did not allow me to try out the cafe for breakfast.)
What an amazing place the kitchen is!!
It has more equipment than I would ever need for simple meal prep - microwave, toaster oven, stove, etc., as well as a fridge for storage of ingredients and/or left-overs. And the free food shelf is a wonderful idea for those of us who are committed to re-cycling. No more feelings of guilt about not eating every last piece from the box of spaghetti.
Meeting people in the eating area (next to the kitchen), who are either eating or using a laptop, is one way to meet other people at the hostel. I chatted with several who were not attending my competition, and learned that people are generally good.
For example: When I asked at the front desk if anyone had a car to drive me to the bus stop (uphill walking with luggage was not possible due to an injury), they were most sympathetic saying sorry, but then they suggested I ask if someone in the lobby had a car or could offer me some help.
Two people were going to the bus stop (on the other side of the road) and they quickly came forward to assist. Language was a slight barrier (they were from Mexico) but they saved me from being late to an appointment at the hospital.
Con comments:
My complaint to the front desk about 2 or 3 out of 5 showers not working (the faucet/tap handle was broken) and hair clogging the shower drains was brushed off. I was told that maintenance was going to be notified but nothing had been fixed by the time I left 3 days later.
An internet connection was hit or miss with the computers provided on the main floor. I was told it was the same with the WiFi elsewhere in the building.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank 686janew
Reviewed 29 September 2016

Go to HI Jericho either for the great beaches and the water front (with sailing and sports facilities), especially on a July 1st, Canada day, or if you have a car. Not for travelers who are visiting Vancouver city or looking for fun. It is neither a friendly or partying atmosphere by the walls of Jericho Beach ! I was planing to stay 12 days and I checked out 5 days earlier after I had a good time swimming and hiking and had enough of the grim and gloomy mood there.

Fantastic location (close to the beaches, in a park, nearly on the waterfront), and the building is pretty good but badly organized and maintained. Needs a good upgrading: no living room/lounge except at the entrance with a decayed sofa, people stay in the kitchen in the basement which is depressing and lacks basic equipments, the bar/pub is nearly always empty, very large dormitories (rare in a hostel) and agreeable washrooms but poorly equipped or maintained. The numetous staff (concentred at the reception) seems not to be concerned by basics like dormitory cleaning, kitchen cutlery, plugs station,...

This place could be great if the management was more professional and they had their dormitory/bed assignment policy changed and cheap price in dormitory (for Vancouver) increased. That means poor services and poor facilities by lack of financial means. With 2 or 3 $ more per night, if not spoiled on a numerous staff, they could do some investments.

As a consequence you have a concentration of "weirdos" -mostly local male Canadians and a few Britons in search of a job staying there long term- due to the lack of affordable housing in Vancouver region, of the homeless crisis and the cocktail of mental and social problems, and drug addiction, affecting desocialized guys -unfortunately agressive and unfriendly- in a large multicultural metropole. Mixed with regular guests they can make your stay a nightmare if by no chance you have been assigned the same dormitory.

Stayed: July 2016
1  Thank Frederic_Montfort
Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

I have stayed at many hostels including some in Mexico. This was by far the worst hostelling experience I have ever had. Firstly, it is a twenty-five minute walk to any business. If you don't have a car, it sucks. Our room was dark, heavy and reeked of urine. The bathrooms feel like you are in an institution. There was feces in one of the showers. The negative energy in that building is palpable. The kitchen was hot and yucky and smelled like someone took a number two. Staff did the bare minimum, at best, and that's all.

My biggest complaint, though: NO FREAKING COFFEE! The front desk is open 24/7 but no coffee and no where even reasonably close to go for one. One would think that considering its right out of the way, that they'd have coffee. What hostel doesn't have coffee?!

Jericho Beach is gorgeous, but never in my life will I return to this hostel.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FrequentFlier44927
Reviewed 23 September 2016

This hostel was the most depressing place I have ever stayed. The atmosphere of the place, people staying there and staff were miserable and dreary.
The building is an ex military barracks and the dorm rooms sleep 18 people. The rooms are cold, depressing and smell of feet and urine. Due to the number of people per room a decent sleep and any privacy are impossible as one person awake or snoring means all people are awake, there is also only one light switch to control the whole room. The wall chargers cannot be used if you require an international adaptor attached to your appliance as there is no gap between the power socket and the bench above it.
The bathrooms are so disgusting I chose to not bathe rather than deal with it (thankfully only one night was spent here!).
The location is out of the way which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the hostel was not awful! The beach nearby provided good views of Vancouver at night and we found a decent pub serving lovely food about a 20 minute walk away towards Kitsilano so we were able to escape the hostel for some time by going there.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Natalie J
Reviewed 20 September 2016

horrific.
Rooms felt like I was in a prison- mattress stunk of urine. No plugs anywhere near bed. Bad service. Crazy scary atmosphere. As two young girls we felt very intimidated - 9 weeks of traveling Canada and USA and this is the most unsafe either of us felt the whole time

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends