“Art”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Cross street: Helmcken
Reviewed 3 December 2014

Food is limited to charcuterie items. Cured meats and cheese. Not bad. Deco is very rustic. Be prepared for the paint pit. It is very messy and paint everywhere. The aprons provided are not clean. However there is a variety of color paints to choose from. And choice of canvas size. There is not much guidance for would-be artists. Just dont dress up in your nicest duds, cos you will get paint on you!

1  Thank travelbugberni

Reviewed 18 September 2014

Went last night with a group to Raw Canvas, as we had all been once before and had a wonderful time using a social shopper coupon. Unfortunately this time was a shock as this coupon didn't include a drink with your food and when I say food they only serve 3 small pieces of cheese or 3 small pieces of meat/sausage on a little tray. Our bill at the end of the evening was a shocker! Little did we know that the wines we selected were $20.00 per glass for 6 oz!! Ridiculously expensive and wine wasn't all that tasty. We did have fun painting our canvases but the evening was ruined when we saw the bill.

1  Thank WVDundarave
Reviewed 12 September 2014

I went to Raw Canvas for the first time last night using a SocialShopper voucher. I was really excited but unfortunately there were a few small issues that made us enjoy the experience less than we would have. I will say that our server was polite and tried to be helpful but the customer service was lacking somewhat from other staff.

First, when we arrived there was a set menu. On the SocialShopper website, when Raw Canvas was running the promotion, there were two different menus posted so there was some confusion as to whether you could choose your meat/cheese options off the regular menu. I only saw the full menu link so I assumed we could choose the meats and cheeses we wanted. The fine print didn't indicate otherwise so I assumed that's what we could do. Then when we arrived there was a set menu for the meat/cheese plates that was pretty limited. We voiced our concerns to the manager but she seemed pretty firm on the set menu and not interested in making any concessions for us. The meat was mediocre, but the cheeses were tasty.

Second, we ran out of bread part way through our meal and waited at least 20 minutes before getting more. Apparently there was only one toaster in the kitchen and no one had foreseen the amount of bread they would need for dinner service? In of itself, not a huge deal, but again it wasn't the only thing lacking in our experience.

Third, at the end of the night my mother ended up paying the bill. She had forgotten there was a mandatory gratuity added to the bill (probably since she had indulged in a few glasses of wine) and added an extra tip. She didn't realize this until long after we left and I had assumed that whoever was ringing in her bill would have reminded her that there was an automatic gratuity already posted. The other reason why she probably missed it was that the automatic gratuity was not labeled as such on the bill. It was called "SocialShopper promotion" or something like that and had the potential to be misleading (like the reviewer below me has stated). I understand that some people may forget to tip on the full amount...but the server could have at least reminded my mother that it was on there. Not really honest business practice there.

We very much enjoyed the music and painting (although the "resident artist" was not really helping anyone like we were told she would be). However, I don't think we will be back based on the experience we had at the price we paid (we spent well over $100 on just our drinks, plus the voucher that I originally paid for). I felt that we were treated differently in some ways because we used a coupon and it makes me not want to go back again (especially when you're paying much more money at full price).

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Went to Raw Canvas last night. My friend and I had a Social Shopper (coupon) which included a tasting plate each and a canvas to paint on after we ate. Paid $79 for a $144 value.

1. We ordered the Ganache to share for dessert. It was freezer burnt and not tasty at all. We could not offer up our feedback as the waiter never returned at that point.

2. The painting room below is quite crowded. I was bumped throughout the night while painting, and had a constant stream of traffic walking by me and behind me.

3. The "professional" was sitting on his stool, reading his book. Offering no feedback, or guidance. He showed us the lay of the land at the beginning like where to get our brushes, palettes, and paint, but no contact after that.

4. There were no napkins or towels at the sink. Nothing to dry our hands while cleaning the water bucket, or to wash hands after you've finished. The evening was supposed to include "cleaning", but we were left to clean our own stations, palettes, brushes, buckets, etc.

5. Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, We went to pay the bill (which was never presented to us...we actually almost left without paying, because in all honesty, we forgot, as we were pretty much left to our own intentions after we ate). After asking the bartender at the front door for our bill, we were presented a bill with a "mandatory" gratuity of over $20. After I signaled someone over to inquire, I was told that it was a mandatory tip since most people with coupons don't tip on the full amount. I told her that was illegal, unless posted in advance, or told to us. The bill did not even say "gratuity". It just had a line with a charge. Most people would pay that bill and add another tip on top of it, thinking a gratuity was not already included. She insisted that this is how they do it as they are also providing a "painting service" which is more service than just a restaurant server.

As you can see with my points above, there was actually not much service involved at all throughout the night, and I'd like to control my gratuity accordingly...or at least be made aware in advance that it would be included in the final bill. I understand for large groups typically of 6 or more the gratuity is included...but again, that is always posted on the bill, or the server tells you in advance.

I think it is very sneaky to include a gratuity without telling the paying customer. I don't even have any idea what percentage they used! And it's also illegal.

2  Thank YVRunners
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Awesome place with a great concept. Don't come too hungry as they mostly serve plates of cheeses and meats. They have a decent selection of wines and, as the title states, absinthe is on the menu. They serve it very authentically with water dripped over the drink with a sugar cube.

The painting portion can get messy so watch out! Don't wear expensive shoes as paint can be spilled or dropped at any moment.

All in all it is a fun time in a great place with a great atmosphere .

1  Thank Austin L