“Mandatory tip on the bill!”
Review of Raw Canvas - CLOSED

Raw Canvas
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Yaletown & False Creek North
Cross street: Helmcken
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Went to Raw Canvas last night. My friend and I had a Social Shopper (coupon) which included a tasting plate each and a canvas to paint on after we ate. Paid $79 for a $144 value.

1. We ordered the Ganache to share for dessert. It was freezer burnt and not tasty at all. We could not offer up our feedback as the waiter never returned at that point.

2. The painting room below is quite crowded. I was bumped throughout the night while painting, and had a constant stream of traffic walking by me and behind me.

3. The "professional" was sitting on his stool, reading his book. Offering no feedback, or guidance. He showed us the lay of the land at the beginning like where to get our brushes, palettes, and paint, but no contact after that.

4. There were no napkins or towels at the sink. Nothing to dry our hands while cleaning the water bucket, or to wash hands after you've finished. The evening was supposed to include "cleaning", but we were left to clean our own stations, palettes, brushes, buckets, etc.

5. Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, We went to pay the bill (which was never presented to us...we actually almost left without paying, because in all honesty, we forgot, as we were pretty much left to our own intentions after we ate). After asking the bartender at the front door for our bill, we were presented a bill with a "mandatory" gratuity of over $20. After I signaled someone over to inquire, I was told that it was a mandatory tip since most people with coupons don't tip on the full amount. I told her that was illegal, unless posted in advance, or told to us. The bill did not even say "gratuity". It just had a line with a charge. Most people would pay that bill and add another tip on top of it, thinking a gratuity was not already included. She insisted that this is how they do it as they are also providing a "painting service" which is more service than just a restaurant server.

As you can see with my points above, there was actually not much service involved at all throughout the night, and I'd like to control my gratuity accordingly...or at least be made aware in advance that it would be included in the final bill. I understand for large groups typically of 6 or more the gratuity is included...but again, that is always posted on the bill, or the server tells you in advance.

I think it is very sneaky to include a gratuity without telling the paying customer. I don't even have any idea what percentage they used! And it's also illegal.

2  Thank YVRunners

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Awesome place with a great concept. Don't come too hungry as they mostly serve plates of cheeses and meats. They have a decent selection of wines and, as the title states, absinthe is on the menu. They serve it very authentically with water dripped over the drink with a sugar cube.

The painting portion can get messy so watch out! Don't wear expensive shoes as paint can be spilled or dropped at any moment.

All in all it is a fun time in a great place with a great atmosphere .

1  Thank Austin L
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Awesome concept. Atmosphere was great, people were friendly. Menu is more of a appetizer type, but still great to have with all the different types of beer and the painting was fun. Great date spot.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is the place to wear that outfit that's hot enough to party in, but ready to be thrown out.
This includes anything from jeans to party shoes. Leave the fancy dresses for another event.
The snacks are ok and the wine list too, but the fun part is to hang out with friends and enjoy some great laughs over wine while you try to paint something you won't be too ashamed of.
There is an artist on hand to help you out, lots of paint colours although new brushes and more enthusiastic artisitic staff is needed. Who cares! It's a good time with the right party and laissez faire attitude.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Great experience for a team building. Only dislike was that the paint available was missing 2 to 3 colors including white. I would think this would be a general maintenance issue. We also requested a total vegan menu and sausage on almost every plate. But a very fun experience and would recommend to others.