“Always enjoyable.”

Cuisines: Native American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shaughnessy
Description: We are Vancouver's only First Nations restaurant. We specialize in wild fish, free range game meat and of course bannock, freshly baked daily. We use traditional ingredients that we prepare and present in a modern way. In our small casual bistro everyone is welcome as they are. In the spirit of First Nations' traditions, our intention is to provide a gathering place where the focus is on the people and the food. Inez (Nuxalk Nation) and Remi Owners
Reviewed 15 October 2018

Very enjoyable meal with some interesting options. Very intimate setting and friendly service. A unique dining experience.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Salmon n'Bannock is one-of-a-kind. I've driven past it many times, and I am so happy that we finally ventured in to experience it.

My husband and I eat everything. We are experimental and are totally willing to try anything. For the first time in ages, we were served something we'd never eaten before! There were so many things on the menu that I wanted to try, alas, my stomach is only so big. Make sure you ask about the daily specials too. They bring in fresh and interesting seasonal ingredients and use them in creative and interesting ways.

Service was also excellent. The room is warm and intimate - great for date night!

This is not an 'indigenous concept' restaurant. This is an Indigenous restaurant, and it is amazing. I cannot wait to go back.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Andrea B
Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Good but not great. Loved the indigenous concept, but honestly compared to most of the names in the top 100 this place does not belong food-wise. 1 star rating is not because it’s terrible, but because IMO it’s that far behind the other names near it on the list. So many other unbelievably good options. Salmon was average. Bannock was good but, again, not great.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank 49DR
Inez C, Owner at Salmon n' Bannock Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2018

Hello ,
Firstly we are sorry you did not enjoy your experience at Salmon n’Bannock Bistro.
We cannot be everything for everyone & understand that.
We do not however thing a good experience constitutes a 1star rating .
Yes , we are highly rated on TA , this has been years of hard work and a commitment to excellence and consistency.
We have never ‘bought ‘a review and are grateful for all the guests that took time to share their experience.
We think because your opinion is of that we don’t deserve high ratings , it is not fair that you intentionally put a 1 star rating .
We are not an Indigenous concept .
We are Indigenous.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

This small intimate restaurant is a gem! In addition to their regular menu, the daily specials we extraordinary. Three of us shared 4 appetizers including double smoked oolochan, the salmon sampler, the game sampler and a third sampler of dried halibut, pemmican and seaweed. All were outstanding. I had the trout special as a main course and it was cooked to perfection. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The prices have gone up since the menu listed on your website so it is best to check their website for menu and prices. Reservations are essential as many walk-in patrons were turned away. A fine First Nations restaurant.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Im an out of towner, and my friends(who are regulars here) were eager to take me out for some good eats, and I was not disappointed! It was cozy, the staff was super friendly, and food was amazing! (like a warm hug)

Date of visit: September 2018