“Great View and Location!”

The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver
Ranked #23 of 92 Hotels in Vancouver
Reviewed 27 August 2006

We stayed at this hotel for the first 4 nights of our trip to British Columbia. The location was fantastic. It was quiet and absolutely beautiful, yet close to everything. We could walk to Robson Street and Stanley Park. Parking is an additional charge ($23-$25 per night) but this seemed to be typical in Vancouver. There is a bar called the Seawall where you can sit outside overlooking the harbor watching the boats come in. Our only complaint was that when we checked in the staff tried to tell us that our room (which had a view of the street, not the harbor) had been double booked and all they could give us was a pull out couch for the first night but that we would get a lovely upgrade after that. After complaining that this was unacceptable, our original room was suddenly available (which had a gorgeous view of the harbor not the street as they had tried to tell us). Otherwise, the staff was very polite and helpful and we had a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank auntyto7
Write a ReviewReviews (3,305)

Reviewed 26 August 2006

I looked up rates on Hotwire for a five night stay in downtown or westend Vancouver. There was one offer that stood out. The three star and 3.5 star properties were offering prices of $55, and then ther was a 4 star listed for about the same, so I thought, "take a chance."

Including tax, after conversion, I paid $67 a night including taxes and fees. I expected a room with a view of a wall. I got a room, on the 4th floor, city view; a very nice find given the normal $235 nightly rate.

On the second night of my stay the room above was noisy. I found out later that workers were renovating the room (at 11 p.m. on a Sunday night). I called to discuss this with the front desk; security got the workers to leave, and in the morning, I was upgraded to a towers room ($385/night) at no extra charge, and given a room credit for dinner, as an apology, as the hotel didn't expect contractors to be working after 5 p.m., or on weekends.

Now I had a room overlooking the marina and Stanley Park, great sunsets, and nearby to both pools. If I return to Vancouver this will be the place due to it's location and style, along with a professional attitude of customer service.

It pays to expect less than what you pay for, and be polite when you have a problem. Sometimes you are surprised and receive rewards beyond what you deserve.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank SenseIntoDollars
Reviewed 20 August 2006

If you stay in the tower of this hotel the views are amazing. We could see mountains, the park, water, boats and blue blue sky. The room itself was nothing special - bland and business-like and the bathroom was small yet the shower was one of the best I have experienced in any hotel in the world. Guest services were extremely efficient and helpful and responded to a variety of requests in no time at all. We didn't use the outdoor pool but it did not look very appealing to me. The only meal we ate in the hotel was breakfast on our first morning - we did not repeat this experience on the second morning! The service was sullen and slow and the food wasn't great and was certainly over-priced.

4  Thank dblacksam
Reviewed 19 August 2006

This hotel has everything! Wonderful pools, convenient eating venues, helpful staff, luxurious beds, spectacular location. Ask for a harbor view room. Make sure to walk along the water. Dine at the Sequoia Grill -- in neighboring Stanley Park. There are also plenty of informal eating and gelato shops and food stores within a block or two of the hotel. A 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank exprof
Reviewed 13 August 2006

We stayed here on 8-12-06 for one night following an Alaska cruise.
I have always appreciated the quality of the Westins I've stayed at in the past but this place didnt measure up to the other Westins. Yes overall it was much nicer than your average hotel and it is in a good loaction on the Marina, very close to Stanley Park and a $6.00 cab ride form the cruise terminal. No they dont provide local transportation or even to the airport. The property is need of a facelift/remodeling. The overall appearance of the rooms,and common areas were outdated and need to be redone. In addition to needing new pain, wall paper, tile etc. There was a horrible stench in the hallways like from raw sewage. For the price I was a little dissapointed and will find another place in Vancouver next time I return unless I find out the hotel has been remodeled.

2  Thank DLB1