Lowest prices for your stay
AU$630
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
Piga4life
Calgary, Canada

Housekeeping a minor issue

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Apr 2024
Nice hotel in a slightly inconvenient location for the average tourist. Very convenient if you are attending BC place or Rogers arena; plus handy for YaleTown etc. We had a car so transport was no problem, but there are buses and Yale-Roundhouse Station is about 10 minutes walk.

The hotel is lovely, very clean and comfortable. We were met by staff who took us and our bags up to the check-in floor. You only have to do it once to understand the layout. The Douglas is attached to the JW Marriott so there are lots of options for dining and entertainment (Casino) There is a couple of coffee shops across the road too. I found the Yeti cooler box a poor substitute for an actual fridge, but it worked OK to chill a bottle of wine etc.

The only other quibble I had was housekeeping. I feel that at a hotel of this level, there should be no debate about daily refreshing. We got back on Saturday mid-afternoon and to find the room as we left it. I have no problem with making my own bed, but do appreciate the basic level of clean towels and garbage removal. Anyway we spoke to the staff and had no more issues.
Date of stay: March 2024
1.8 km from the DOUGLAS, Autograph Collection
  • Vio.com
1.5 km from the DOUGLAS, Autograph Collection
View more hotels in Vancouver
All reviews jw marriott honey salt bc place beautiful hotel hotel shares illy coffee sister property room service the check in desk large bathroom one bedroom suite two queen beds floor to ceiling windows self parking two night stay the club lounge lobby bar
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 March 2024

Once you get used to this property it's not just a hotel, but an epic staycation. I've stayed here maybe 20 nights in the last year and was treated the same from night 1 to recent. Here are some of my favorite highlights:

Pros:
- Fitness lovers this is your hotel. You get access to the JW 16th floor gym which is better than Equinox. Squat racks, machines, not busy, kept clean next to the spa. Step outside for a rooftop hot tub after your workout. Yes you have to walk to the other side of the property.

- Decor - Being a modern property the rooms, hotel, check in desk, restaurants, gym, everything is curated and new. The rooms are more appealing than the JW. (less the desk "chair").

- Amazing service - Here are some examples of how helpful the staff has been: free kombucha, beer and coffee on check in, sometimes snacks. Once brought up a roller bed at 2am for a friend of mine to crash on short notice. Make sure you have the Bonvoy App - I've requested ice, glasses, robes, slippers etc, even wine. They reply and deliver your items promptly, even if you're in the shower or away, they'll leave it at your door or in the unit at your request. The response time on the app is faster than most Marriott hotels. I forget the names of everyone at the desk but from managers to agents everyone is very helpful and friendly.

- Recognition of Marriott status - This might be niche but I've found the hotel to be great at this. Upgrades on check in when possible, very strong platinum room service breakfast offering (less a couple poor menu items..), always late checkout with a standard room, early check in, I always here the staff say thank you even for silver members, I like this. You won't get access to the JW lounge which is very good, however I actually prefer the rooms in the Douglas, and the lounge isn't worth $150 extra room rate.

The only cons I can think of are:
- Platinum (free) breakfast quality - This one confuses me as it's not cooked in a "real" restaurant but some mystery kitchen. The pankakes are out of this world and you get great coffee and even fancy juices, but then basics like the scrambled eggs are some of the worst I've had, not sure how they do the eggs.. doesn't bother me as it's free and you get 2 items.

- Not a place to do work in the rooms. Unfortunately, the sunken leather desk chair will break your back in <5mins unless covered with cushions. I assume they bought these for the aesthetic however it seems like a miss. Some people have to do work even during a leisure stay. Best place to do work is the Honey Salt restaurant downstairs at JW (also great real breakfast $), or the large table in the Douglas lobby level.
- Yes it can be a party property on the weekends however as long as you're not on floor 7 above the nightclub (d6) you won't hear a thing.

Looking forward to my next stays at this awesome unique hotel.

Room tip: Go check out the fitness room, spa, and hot tub.
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Ross B
Reviewed 7 December 2023 via mobile

So we were only here for a short 2 days.
Though the room 'looks' nice here is what happened.
1. Very confusing on where to check in, why aren't there signs or an email prior?
2. We are in room 1664 which the front desk person said they are happy to upgrade us to the top floor, not telling us that it is right beside the service elevator which makes grinding, banging, clacking noises 24/7. Thanks but no thanks to the 'upgrade'.
3. I was unpacking and saw something on the floor, I assumed it was mine, nope a USED CONDOM wrapper, so how well are they cleaning?
4. Every single floor we have been on we go to use the sanitizer and it is empty.
5. The gym didn't even have wipes, also empty.
6. We did call the front desk the next day and they offered to move us to another room on a lower floor away from the service elevator but now we are unpacked and leave tomorrow anyhow. No point. Thank god I brought earplugs.

It is like they don't care. We would never stay here again. I would stay at the parq JW Marriott, it was much better, big gym, pool and no noise or condoms. LOL.

Room tip: Don’t stay here. lol. Don’t get a room by the service elevator.
Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darci L
Cassie Doyle, Other at the DOUGLAS, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2023

Dear Darci L,

I am terribly sorry for everything you experienced during your stay at the DOULGAS hotel. What you have mentioned is highly unusual and not the experience we wish for our guests. We are taking your feedback very seriously and reviewing with our team to ensure this is an anomaly and not experienced by future guests.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to show you a true DOUGLAS experience.

Cassie Doyle
Director of Room Operations

Reviewed 11 November 2023

The location earned full marks for us. With a dinner meeting in the same building complex, we debated between the Douglas and JW Marriott, and I'm glad I chose the Douglas, as suggested by others. Exploring the area, losing $10 at the casino, and the overall stay were enjoyable. The only persistent inconvenience was the reception being on a different floor than the entrance lobby.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2023

The trip started terribly with no indication of where to park with no direction from Staff. It’s like a Vegas Casino maze of buildings and congestion. DO NOT STAY HERE . The front desk staff was unhelpful with directions etc.
I met other customers in the elevators who were equally as lost.
Paid $300 a night for a shoebox with a confusing parking scenario. So incredibly disappointing

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Cassie Doyle, Other at the DOUGLAS, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2023

Dear ajappert,

Thank you so much for your feedback, and we truly appreciate your understanding and patience during your recent stay with us.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences or issues you encountered.

Our primary goal is to ensure every guest has a comfortable and enjoyable experience, and we regret that we fell short of your expectations.

Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us. We genuinely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest in the near future.

Saurabh Puri
Assistant Rooms Operations Manager
JW Marriott Parq Vancouver & the DOUGLAS, Autograph Collection

Reviewed 11 October 2023

My recent stay the hotel left much to be desired. Despite reporting the bathroom door not closing, it was not fixed, making it inconvenient for three women sharing the same room.

Service was subpar, starting with a rude and loud welcome. Amenities (hydrotherapy does not equal a hot tub) didn't match the pricing, and the lack of a fridge was inconvenient. The Honey Salt restaurant disappointed both in quality and service.

The advertised breakfast included for two people turned out to be a $48 room service, which could not cover a simple breakfast and a coffee. I recently had a much better experience at the Autograph Hotel in Halifax.

I was very disapointed by my experience, it is definitively not fitting the price point. I'm sad to say we would have been better in a standard hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Isabelle B
Clare Mendoza, Guest Services / Front Office at the DOUGLAS, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2023

Dear isabellebG2729RZ,

We are sincerely apologize for any inconveniences or issues you encountered.

Clare Mendoza