“Exceptional Service and Delicious good!”

The Schooner Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 51 Restaurants in Tofino
Price range: AU$11 - AU$55
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Legendary Casual Fine Dining Seafood & Steakhouse. Celebrating our 70th anniversary. Proudly locally owned by the Bruce family. Oyster bar, Epic Cocktails. Unrivalled ocean and mountain views. Great patio, centrally located.
Reviewed 21 April 2024 via mobile

We called to enquire about their closing time at 8:30pm and realized the restaurant was closing soon -at 9 pm! Usually the kitchen is closed 30 minutes before closing time but the person on the phone was very nice and welcoming and asked us to join in for dinner. We were there at 8:40 pm , and politely greeted by Whealen ( I hope I’m spelling it correctly!) - He took good care of us and provided excellent , genuine service. Food was delicious and service fast and top- notch! Blackened ling cod was cooked to perfection, mushroom ravioli was tasty and creme brûlée was the perfect ending to our meal. Would definitely come back next time we are in Tofino!

Date of visit: April 2024
2  Thank ArsaF

Reviewed 12 April 2024 via mobile

My husband and I took a flyer on this restaurant based on the Trip Advisor reviews. We were not disappointed! The service was top notch, fast and engaging. The food was the star. I had the Prawn Plate and my husband had the Halibut Bowden Bay. One of the best meals we have ever had. Cooked to perfection and the flavours went together well. It is not a cheap meal, we had 6 oysters, 2 entries, 1 beer and 1 Prosecco which came to approximately $150 cdn including tip. I would highly recommend.

Date of visit: April 2024
1  Thank rosslake
Reviewed 21 March 2024

My family and I went to Schooners on a recommendation from our Airbnb host. We were greeted and seated by a friendly host. When our waitress came to our table she didn’t ask us how we were or any personal questions, which was not out of ordinary but this was our vacation and Schooners is a fairly expensive restaurant. She never asked us if we wanted anything to drink or if we wanted any appetizers and then wanted us to order our entrees. We felt very rushed. I asked her how much smoke flavor the smoked plank salmon had because my daughter was concerned it might have to much smoke flavor and she responded with a very dismissive and insulting answer “how cloudy is a cloudy day”.
No matter how good the food was her service left a bad taste in our mouths.

Date of visit: March 2024
2  Thank C L
Reviewed 15 February 2024 via mobile

I had prawns with a double helping of vegetables instead of rice. I requested this. The vegetables were ok although red cabbage is kind of odd pairing with prawns. But my biggest complaint is the prawns. They tasted like they had been rolled in salt. I have had prawns many times in many locations and this is the saltiest version I have ever tasted. There were also hard bits of debris in the prawns themselves. It is not that I didnt pull off the tails properly, as I did. The debris was more imbedded deep inside the prawn. Also it was a very small portion of food for $38. My husband had the burger and that looked fine and he said it was fine except that there was far too much sauce on it and it was very messy and dripping everywhere so he had to use a fork and knife to eat it. The ambiance of the restaurant is ok upstairs but the stairs themselves seemed very worn out. This was not a big deal to us. My biggest disappointment is that the food was far too salty and I felt the price was too high for what I was served. I would not go back nor would I recommend to my friends. I know it’s been in business many years but that is my very honest review. Also I think they should have given me a finger bowl or something as it’s very hard to eat prawns without using your fingers. I am sure if I had asked he would have done this for me…but it wasn’t that important, just seemed like a little extra they should offer without my asking in my opinion. It is hard to complain about anything when the waiter is singing praises of the restaurant from the get go and about how long they have been in business and how they will have line ups out the door as the season progresses. I get it, but my HONEST review is “overpriced and not good taste” Left me almost feeling abit ill due to the excessive amount of salt.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank Cristycan
Reviewed 4 February 2024 via mobile

Recently had the pleasure of an excellent lunch here. From ahi tuna sandwich, to fried oyster burger, to fish tacos every thing was excellent.

Homemade coleslaw, beautiful plated meals, and perfect oysters were just some of the reasons for this review plus excellent service .. Jessie made my family feel right at home.

Many thanks