Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Ernie P
Comox, Canada

DON'T STAY HERE!!!

Review of Schooner Motel
1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 23 Apr 2021
I was booked into this motel by my Company, and I have stayed here before. However, this was my last stay. In hindsight, staying in my car would have been far better.
Checking in was a struggle, as the Caretaker couldn't complete the booking. I was handed the terminal to complete the process, but the Caretaker couldn't remember the Merchant password. I gave the Caretaker my Company contact person so the booking could be completed, but the Caretaker wouldn't contact them.
I was finally given a key to the room, where I would be staying for several days. It was quite late when I got to the room, but I was met with a rather unique odor, a TV that didn't work, and a room that was very dirty. Something which is not acceptable on a good day, let alone during Covid. Thankfully I had my own cleaning equipment, as it's required for my work, so I cleaned as much as I could.
The drinking glasses and mugs were not washed from the previous guest, and I'm not sure what was still in the electric kettle. The window ledges had what appeared to be mould on them.
The fridge wasn't cleaned from the last guest.
The room was quite cluttered, and I'm sure the wicker rocking chair wasn't needed.
Once the room was aired out, and cleaned, it was adequate, but the bedding was still in need of cleaning.
The time at the Schooner Motel went quick, but that was mainly due to my work schedule. The checkout process wasn't so quick though.
The Caretaker had not finalized the booking, and insisted that I personally pay. However, as I was on Company business, and they had been given all the Company credit card details, I refused to provide my own credit card. I contacted my Company and informed them of the situation. They asked to speak to the Caretaker, but the Caretaker refused, and just insisted that I pay.
The Caretaker became quite irate, and as I went to my vehicle, he stood in front of my vehicle to prevent me from leaving the property. Both the Caretaker and his wife demanded my personal credit card, to which I kept refusing.
I contacted the local RCMP Detachment, and told them of my situation. They quickly sent over a Police Officer, and I relayed everything about my booking, and stay at the motel.
As I was talking with the Constable, the Caretakers wife came up to us and said it was all a misunderstanding, and that everything was OK.
I will never consider staying at the Schooner Motel ever again. There's lots of other places to stay in Tofino.
Date of stay: April 2021
  • ZenHotels.com
    AU$353
35.0 km from Schooner Motel
View more hotels in Tofino
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 August 2020

The size of the room is large however there are very few positives to my stay here: the room was very dirty and that was surprising given that we are in a time of hyper vigilance when it comes to cleanliness. I spent a good amount of time wiping down surfaces and avoiding touching areas of the room that obviously were not clean. The beds are in decent shape, the bathroom is functioning, however, the decor is very dated and run down. The location is awesome and the price seemed to be the cheapest in Tofino at $200/night. I would avoid this place if I could, but they were able to get me a room last minute but I wish I could have just slept in my car.

Room tip: Good location and view which is the cost of the cleanliness of the rooms.
Date of stay: August 2020
3  Thank jolenev907
Reviewed 11 August 2020 via mobile

We had the worst and most disgusting experience I have ever had staying at this motel. We arrived around 8:00pm and their office closes at 8:30. We got up to our room and unloaded all our stuff and started realizing how dirty the bedding was (sheets and duvet cover) and that the toilet roll from the last guests had been re-used. Then we decided to look under the bed where we found weeks old recycling that hadn’t been cleaned out.. We tried to call down to the office to have them come up and check however they never answered so we thankfully had some of our own bedding in the car and slept on top of the disgusting beds in our own blankets. When we tried to show the owner the next morning and voiced our concerns he got very aggressive and went and ripped all of the bedding off in our room and brought it down to the office and shoved it into my boyfriends face and shouted at him to show him the stain when we were considerably reasonable in voicing our concerns even though it was disgusting to see this in the middle of a pandemic. I finally told my boyfriend we should just go and that I would call the health authorities because his refusal to acknowledge the lack of cleanliness is not okay. I would not recommend anyone ever stay here. The whole situation is just ridiculous and looking at the rest of the reviews now we should have checked. Really sad to see such a beautiful town and good vibe sharing people have their reputation ruined by this awful place.

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank maddisonm180
Reviewed 31 October 2019

The rooms are fine, bed comfy. We were on the second floor and had a view of the harbour. Table and chairs in front of window was nice, microwave and kettle with a small fridge so we could have breakfast in the room which was nice. Nothing fancy but the price, especially off season, makes it worth while. Tofino is so incredibly expensive this may be an option for many. Free parking and wifi . The manager (maybe owner) Won is a one man show I think. He is reception and cleans the rooms. Very lovely man, and when our TV stopped working he fixed it within minutes. The room was quiet and we did not have any problem with noise but we were there in October, although still quite busy.

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed 4 September 2019

The motel is 2 stars. The location is very good and from the upstairs rooms you have a good view of the bay. The room was large, beds quite comfortable, but old furniture. The room also has a fireplace that was useful because the weather was not good. I only stayed one night here. At breakfast we were tempted by the smell of coffee, but unfortunately the taste was not good. The staff consists of young people who still have to learn.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed 30 December 2018

Our room was dirty and smelled awful. The smoke detector in the room next to us chirped every minute all night long. We tried to get a hold of the owner but he wouldn't answer the phone or doorbell. In the morning he told us that he doesn't answer the bell because he has to sleep! He was the only one that got any sleep! We told him that we were going to write bad reviews about the place and all he said was "OK"!

Date of stay: December 2018