“Fun”

Ranked #52 of 242 Restaurants in Prince George
Price range: USD 8 - USD 23
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Pub
Reviewed 6 May 2017

Maybe trying a bit too hard, but it does work. An almost authentic feel to this place. Not fine dining by any stretch but an easy place to get comfortable in.

Reviewed 8 September 2016

We are one of those couples that love karaoke! We were combing through various restaurants, or places that might offer karaoke, and we found that Cowboy Ranch had karaoke. This was one of the major things that sold us on this place to visit.

Not only were we treated to a wonderful night of karaoke, we were also treated to very positive, and friendly staff that were there to assist us. The atmosphere/ ambiance was really good as well. It was immediately evident to us, that a lot of locals frequent this restaurant, which shows that it was a place that is favorable for tourists to visit.

If you're into karaoke, it happens on Thursday evenings here.

Reviewed 10 April 2016 via mobile

The food was great and the cook was the best she pick out something that I was able to eat I thing melissa goldthorpe is one of the best cooks yet

Reviewed 8 July 2015

My husband and I hadn't been back to the Cowboy Ranch in nearly a year. Last night, we popped in for dinner. We were both pleasantly surprised that Wendy, our server, remembered our drinks (iced tea, no ice for me, coffee for him) considering how long it's been.

We both ordered the Monday special (big brisket Baron), and as usual, we were not disappointed. Portions are still a significant size, and just as flavourful as we remembered. The service remains excellent, and the prices are perfectly reasonable, especially for the volume of food you receive.

The Cowboy Ranch is definitely back in my list of regular dining places. I'm rather sorry I forgot about it for so long. I think I'll give one of the halibut dishes a try next time :)

3  Thank MotherKali
Reviewed 12 January 2015

By creating a metaphysical partition, could a business function simultaneously in two states, analogous to Schrödinger's cat, existing both as a pub and a stylish restaurant, and remain that way…until of course, like quantum entanglement, someone measures it, as in this case, a restaurant review. This is not a dichotomy, as both the restaurant and the pub must occupy the same space. If there were a dividing line (i.e. wall) like we’ve seen in other businesses, one could review them separately. If a restaurant could exist as both an elegant bistro and pub concurrently, would that be a play on cognitive dissonance or would it be simply a paradox?

And yes, I’m writing this preamble in such a way as to anger those readers that despise my reviews of pubs.

That’s right, I use big words and apparently, you can’t read them. Can you believe this review is about a place called the Cowboy Ranch?

By the way, the actual term I was looking for was “gastropub”—a high-end restaurant and bar. I had mentioned in a previous review for the Cowboy Ranch that I hoped it wouldn’t compromise its décor. On my second visit, I still didn’t see many beer advertisements. However, I did find three different gambling machines, two “regulars” getting drunk behind me, and servers incapable of handling more than three tables. Maybe it’s the location; you couldn’t have worse in Prince George unless it was a demilitarized zone. Even other businesses around it advertise (I’m not kidding) that their location sucks. I wonder if, for a short time, the owners of the Cowboy Ranch tried to be a proper gastropub. They had the old western motif, the utter lack of any “visible” modern technology, and then the only customers they had passing through their doors complained about the lack of a keno machine.

“What, no lottery ticket dispenser, I bid you good day sir! (Pointed finger waving franticly) I will take my business to Shooters, thank you very much!”

How much better would it look if the Cowboy Ranch had a pair of old fashioned saloon doors, staff in period anachronistic attire, and maybe even a piano that didn’t require electricity? Instead, by 8:00, we were asked to join in the evening’s trivia games where an extremely loud announcer started the evenings modern country selection involving songs which undoubtedly included the words “Silverado”, “dirt roads”, “tight jeans”, “river creek”, “drinking”, and “girls” (that last part is a joke—it’s mostly rock). So yes, the atmosphere wasn’t great, and nearing 9:00, my girlfriend begged me to leave, uncomfortable at the escalating volume of the inebriated table behind us.

So does that close the book on Cowboy Ranch? Goodness no. The food is fantastic.

What? Yes. The food is great. I mean with every massive meal you select two sides, and these can include a variety of cornbread. Cheddar not to your liking, how about jalapeno? What kind of fries would you like, or would you rather have both? Would you like your potatoes stuffed, wedged, smashed, saladed (“saladed”…could be word)? The menu looks awesome; the entries all appetizing. We ordered an appetizer (sweet and salty bacon bites), and if you read sixty words prior that each main comes flanked with two sides, you’ll discover how stupid we were for doing so. I ordered the big brisket baron while my girlfriend had the steak sandwich. Although delivered late, our dishes were incredible and surprisingly good value. I had heaping layers of smoked brisket over a bun alongside Jalapeño cornbread and sweet potato fries and the whole thing cost me $13. In any other establishment, I’d call that a case closed and would be a herald of the Ranch’s virtues like Chaucer from Knight’s Tale. However, I became hypersensitive to its atmosphere, and after leftovers were boxed (because there was no way I was going to leave that for the trash), we quickly made our escape before more “regulars” showed up.

I admit The Cowboy Ranch isn’t for me, and it isn’t for some people, but it’s for a lot of others, and perhaps this is me attempting humility by admitting that Cowboy Ranch has a loyal clientele loving what it has to offer. I know there are people out there what will love Cowboy Ranch. I know they’re out there; you know they’re out there. You might be one of them. I just happen not to be. And that’s okay. So to those that like pubs, that like good BBQ food (regardless if its “real” or not), the Cowboy Ranch is probably the best this town has to offer. In fact, I’m going to even increase my score and call it fantastic to those wanting what it sells. It’s an F-350 Superduty Platinum with Off Road Package and Shift-on-the-fly 4x4…and I like a Porsches Cayman, and if you know vehicles, those two are pretty close in price. Returning to Schrödinger's cat, Cowboy Ranch does exist in two states, I like and not like it; it is both alive and dead.

Food: 4/5