“Lots of seating, good food, good service”
Review of Hooded Merganser

Hooded Merganser
Reserve with OpenTable
Hooded Merganser is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 205 Restaurants in Penticton
Price range: USD 10 - USD 35
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Description: Named after the rare and reclusive North American duck that shares its name (and flew onto the restaurant patio during name selection) the Hooded Merganser is a culinary and architectural masterpiece that straddles Okanagan Lake to offer panoramic views of the lake and mountains.Inside, the décor is luxurious, the atmosphere is casual and the menu diverse yet surprisingly reasonable: contemporary local cuisine and phenomenal views of the Okanagan Valley.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I ate here a few times in the evening. It's a decent place to go with friends for drinks and a decent dinner. The menu isn't anything to write home about but they have a decent variety of good food. Our servers were friendly every time we ate here and the location is really nice.

2  Thank JRLJ28

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

For Penticton this restaurant offers everything you need to make a rememberable event just perfect. The view of the lights on the lake, carefully prepared quality meals, top knotch service create an amazing atmosphere. Not really geared for younger patrons. Save this place for a night out away from the kids.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We went as a party of 8 for a birthday celebration. We were pleased with the varied menu which had something for everyone on the group. From basic roast beef sandwich and dip to very interesting salad combinations there was a lot of choice. People with dietary issues could find each dich labelled (Gluten free; vegetarian; etc.). There is also a nice variety of spicy and more "bland" (but not tasteless) offerings.
Everyone enjoyed their meal, even if we considered the prices a bit high. Compensting for that was the quality service and, as real estate folks would say, location, location, location. I don't think there is a nicer setting in Penticton.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

I've had a spate of bad restaurant experiences lately -- the poor reviews I've made here represent just the tip of the iceberg! So, wanting to write something good about somewhere, I thought hard to find my last seamless dining experience. And here it is: it was last may in Penticton at the restaurant "named after that bird".

The food being so delicious it was easy to find what I had, even after all that time, by googling the menu: beet salad and arctic char, and some amazing desert I can't remember.

Most remarkably, the server was pleasant, trained, able to converse with adults, and obviously enjoyed his job. What I noticed was that he did not neglect my table even though I was dining alone among many Saturday-night filled tables eg, if he got swallowed ordering multiple drinks, he was quick to arrive at my table and apologize for any delay.

The view and atmosphere in the midst of nature is unparalleled.
Will return on my next trip.

PentictonLakeside, Manager at Hooded Merganser, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for your extremely well written and clearly thought out review! See you again on your next trip to Penticton and The Hooded Merganser (the restaurant 'named after that bird') :)

Reviewed 22 March 2018

We regularly drive from Kelowna t Penticton for Sunday Brunch here. The food is excellent and the view on to Lake Okanagan is ever changing depending on the season.

PentictonLakeside, Manager at Hooded Merganser, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review us, and for frequently driving down to visit us!

Hope to see you soon :)