“Good Food lacking service”

Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 269 Restaurants in New Westminster
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 11 July 2017

My wide and I were looking for an Ethiopian meal in New Westminster and Lalibela came up in our search. The place was easy to find on Sixth St. Went in and were seated and given water. My wife asked for a Diet Coke and was given a dirty can with no glass or ice. She cleaned the top of the can off as it was dirty.She was then given a straw. My wife ordered the Gored Gored and I was going to order the lamb.I changed my order with a recommendation from the server and ordered the fish. I went to the restroom to wash my hands and discovered the was no seat on the toilet. Our order was brought to the table but, had to ask to side plates. Other places we have gone we had side plates given but, it does say eaten as a group. The fish was tasty and spicy. The beef was good as well as the injera. I would go back but, set the bar low as far as service goes.

Reviewed 28 November 2016

Excellent Ethiopian food tucked away on 6th Street in New Westminster. Good value, spicy and delicious. Brought back memories of eating it in Africa. Great service. Atmosphere homey and comfortable. Good value - we shared the vegetarian platter, the special house chicken Wot and samosas. Top it all with a crisp cold beer and the flavours linger for hours.

Reviewed 3 February 2016 via mobile

If you want to try something new but with old cuisine, then try this place out. It's a small but family run Ethiopian restaurant with great prices. Our family group of seven adults were first timers to Ethiopian cuisine and were very satisfied with both the food and the prices. We ordered two platters that offered a variety from many existing dishes from the menu, along with another lamb dish and fish dish. There are no utensils other than serving spoons but lots of Kef(?) bread to eat with your hands. It's like a crepe. So for the seven of us the bill came to about $100 and that was with a nice bottle of wine too. Great value and will go back again.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

Yesterday I went with a friend to “Lalibela”, a small Ethiopian restaurant in New Westminster. At noon we were the first guests. Later more people came, most of them obviously Ethiopian. That means that they like that food, although it seems that this restaurant works as a kind of cultural centre for the Ethiopian community in New West. We ordered the Vegetarian and the Meat Platter. First I was a bit disappointed since the Meat Platter contained only 4 items while other African restaurants offer 5 items for the platter. And the Vegetarian Platter had 5 items… Anyways, it was more than enough for two of us. Warning! - Several of the meat dishes where pretty spicy. I liked everything from the meat, also many of the vegetarian dishes were quite tasty. The service was friendly; just that he was often talking to his landsmen and didn’t realized fast that we had some requests. I liked the atmosphere there. It is at least worth to try it.

Reviewed 12 July 2015

I did take out one night to see how the restaurant is. The staff were very pleasant and I enjoyed the food... the flavour was good. I do prefer Habibi's on Commercial Drive better, as they have more flavour, but this was an acceptable alternative close to home.