“The best Thai ever”

Thai New West
Price range: USD 12 - USD 24
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Thai New West Restaurant celebrates pure Thai in a contemporary setting in New Westminster. Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet and Bitter...Experience an explosion of fresh and exotic Thai flavors! Mussaman, Pad Thai, Penang...Every delicacy is pure and prepared using fresh and quality ingredients. Pampering and unpretentious, Thai New West Restaurant celebrates a simple menu that promises to delight your senses! Opening hours Tuesday - Sunday Lunch: 11:30am - 2:00pm Dinner: 5pm - 9:00pm (kitchen closes 30 minutes prior to restaurant closing time).
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

If you loke Thai food you cannot miss this place. Excelent choices, wonderful service, reasonable prices. It even has tje take out option!

Teg B, Owner at Thai New West, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Dear Alexandre C,
We are so happy that you enjoyed your dining experience at Thai New West and would like to thank you for your outstanding review. Fresh ingredients, traditional Thai cooking methods, service and environment are all very important for us and we are happy that you enjoyed your visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 25 July 2017

Street parking by the metre outside the front of the entrance. Love the atmosphere - good date spot but also for families too. Portions are decently large and full of flavour. Being from SE Asia originally, the food is quite authentic.

Very busy around lunch time, lots of customers from the nearby hospital, but calm and we were seated instantly when we came on a Friday night. Really great service too.

1  Thank robby321
Teg B, Owner at Thai New West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2017

Dear Robby 321,
Thank you for your visit and we are so happy that you enjoyed your experience at Thai New West! Your evaluation and rating are flattering and inspire us to consistently serve you a delightful dining experience every time you visit. Our sincere thanks for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
With my best regards,
Teg Brar

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Some of the best Thai I have had. All the classics plus some originals treats (Swimming Rama w Tiger Prawns is a must!!!). Friendly and attentive service. Dollar-for-dollar, as good as a restaurant experience gets.

Teg B, Owner at Thai New West, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear MargCup,
Thank you so much for your lovely review, we are delighted that you had an enjoyable experience at Thai New West. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience publicly; your praise fuels our fire to serve you the best in every aspect.
we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2017

Located in the heart of the Sapperton district of New Westminster, Thai New West is an appropriately named Thai restaurant that we’ve visited in the past. I’m not sure what it is, but I seem to have been doing a lot of repeat Thai visits to the New West area over the last little while.

On my first revisit to this restaurant, I decided to stick with something from their lunch special menu and ordered the Gaeng Garden ($13) which is a red coconut curry with mixed vegetables and served with a side of rice, salad, and spring roll. I paired it with a Thai Iced Tea ($4.50) which was refreshing and creamy.

The spring roll was crunchy and the salad had a citrusy dressing on it. There were quite a bit of veggies in this dish including bamboo, crinkle-cut carrots, peppers, cabbage, green beans and fragrant basil. You can customize the heat level on most of their dishes (their default spice level is 2-out-of-5). While I asked for a medium spice level (3-out-of-5), I found that it wasn’t very spicy and it could have used some more heat.

On my second revisit the following week, I attempted to order the Jungle Curry because that sounded like an interesting dish. What arrived at my table, however, was actually the Pad Kee Mao or Drunken Noodles ($15). “Jungle Curry”… “Drunken Noodles”… I guess they could sound similar. As it turned out, this spicy rice noodle dish was a happy mistake. Sautéed with chicken, eggs, bell peppers, onions, tomato, chili, mushrooms, and basil, it was very similar to the more familiar pad thai dish.

Unlike my last dish, there was a good amount of heat with the toothsome noodles here. It’s no wonder why this is one of their popular items.

Undeterred from my failed attempt at ordering the Jungle Curry on my last visit, I came back the following week and ordered the Gaeng Pa ($17). This is a non-coconut milk curry with green beans, eggplant, carrots, bamboo shoots, and basil. It doesn’t come with rice so I asked for a bowl of Jasmine Rice ($3).

This dish is very saucy but not like the thick, creamy curry that you would get with regular coconut milk curries. There was quite a bit of veggies in this dish but I found that I was missing the thicker sauce that I’ve become accustomed to over the years.

Not wanting my memory of this place to be based solely on the jungle curry, I made a point of revisiting for a fourth time to try their Green Curry Chicken ($16) as this is usually the standard dish that I order at all Thai restaurants. I couldn’t remember why I hadn’t ordered this on my last three visits but then realized that it’s not on their lunch specials and you have to order from their regular menu. As such, it doesn’t come with rice (which is a necessity if you order curry) so I wound up ordering a side of Jasmine Rice ($3).

The Gaeng Kiew Wan was prepared with green curry paste and coconut milk with eggplant, peas, bamboo shoots, and bell peppers. The level 3 spice was fairly spicy and the curry turned out fairly well.

Overall, there are some good options here such as the drunken noodles and service seemed friendly. It can get a bit busy here during the prime lunch hour due to the nearby hospital and local businesses.

1  Thank pennyandrusty

Dear Penny and Rusty,
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you on multiple occasions; our sincere apologies for mistakenly serving you Drunken noodles instead of Jungle curry that you ordered. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our drunken noodles, they are indeed delicious and very popular. Our jungle curry is the only curry on our menu that does not have a coconut base and therefore not creamy like most other curries; it originates from the jungles of norther Thailand where coconuts are not easily found. The jungle curry traditionally is a bit spicy to begin with as there is no coconut milk to lend the additional sweetness; I would recommend you try 2** (our house level) and we will be happy to serve you our house roasted red chilli powder for you to season to your liking.
Once again thank you for visiting and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
With best regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

Went with a friend for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed everything! Fresh and pretty quick, too. Flavour was excellent and my request for kick bit not TOO spicy was perfectly executed. Friendly service and reasonable prices. Will be back!

2  Thank Roni K
Teg B, Owner at Thai New West, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Dear Roni K,
Thank you for visiting and we are delighted that you enjoyed your experience at Thai New West. Premium quality, freshness and authenticity symbolize our brand and we are happy when they resonate with our guests. As everything is cooked fresh, we can happily adjust spice levels to your personal liking.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon,