“Finally... real Chinese food in Kelowna”

Sofie's Asian Market & Bistro
Ranked #159 of 681 Restaurants in Kelowna
Price range: USD 4 - USD 8
Description: This is a place where you can find the interesting Asian street food when you go travel aboard, and Sofie and her husband just bring all the deliciousness into one place. From Malaysian coconut curry Lakasa, to clear broth Vietnamese Pho, to Chinese sweet & sour. If you're only looking for an ordinary breakfast, we provide them all day long. Come in to try! We open 6am to 6pm, seven days a week:)
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

As an ethnic Asian who has lived here for over 25 years, I never go to Chinese restaurants in Kelowna because I cannot stand what passes as Chinese food here; sweet and sour chicken balls, egg foo yung, house fried rice, etc. Anyone who has spent time in Asian locales or even Vancouver will know that the above is NOT Chinese food... never has, never will.

Well, finally, we have a real Chinese restaurant in the valley. Admittedly, it is not cuisine from Hong Kong, Taiwan, or anywhere in southern China but more specifically from Northern China. But at least it's authentic. Fresh ingredients made into delicious dishes by a husband/wife team, the soups, laksas, and curries are all flavorful and tasty. More standard fare is also available and the prices are extremely reasonable. The service is attentive. The only downside is the locale. Being in the Greyhound station the area attracts more than its fair share of the less than desirables. But this isn't the fault of the restaurant nor the ownership.

In conclusion, an authentic ethnic locale with excellent food, service, and prices. What more does one need?

1  Thank Wong_Family_5

Reviewed 4 August 2017

I was picking up a parcel at Greyhound and discovered this Asian restaurant and decided to have lunch. Seemed like one guy took the orders, delivered the food and cleaned up but there were only a few diners so it worked fine. I asked for the chicken Laksa but could have chosen tofu or some other sort of meat I don't recall. The chicken was a bit odd looking so I did not eat it but there were plenty of vegetables and the flavor was good. If I was to go back I think I would try the tofu version. Also offers all day breakfast.

2  Thank HolidayGuy
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

First visit, Who would have thought to go to the Bus Depot for lunch? Best soup ever. We will be back. Thanks. Brian and Marilyn.

1  Thank Brian L
Sofia L, Owner at Sofie's Asian Market & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2017

Dear Brian and Marilyn,
I'm glad you liked the wonton soups last time, and I'm most appreciated that you took your time to leave a positive review for me. Try our most popular coconut curry laksa for a change next time, see if you'll like it.

Sofie

Reviewed 1 February 2017 via mobile

We expected absolutely nothing good could come out of eatery located inside a dingy bus station. We couldn't be more wrong. What a surprise we had. Great Asian food is being whipped up here.

I had a won ton noodle soup. Very good pho type soup with a plethora of fresh vegetables. My partner had a chicken pho soup which was equally as good. The curry's looked good though we didn't have it. The menu had a bunch of interesting breakfast items as well. Everything is reasonably priced.

Do not be shy about dining here pre or post bus travel or if you are simply in the area.

1  Thank Life_tourist1963
Sofia L, Owner at Sofie's Asian Market & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2017

Hi there,
I'm glad you've enjoyed our food here, and hopefully enjoyed all your stay in Kelowna. Hope to see you next visit and try our most popular curry, and thanks for the positive review here.

Reviewed 13 December 2016

Hi Sofie,
My husband wants chinese for his birthday.
I see you have very good reviews.
Can we sit in ? there would be 7 of us.
Or take out? tomorrow Tuesday December 13.

Sofia L, Owner at Sofie's Asian Market & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2016

Hi. I'm so sorry that I missed this message, and I'm reading this on 14th morning 6:20am. Just for future information, we have plenty of seat most of time, and if you wish to reserve for a large group, it is best idea to call ahead, cause now I see this website doesn't send me a message regarding to review one day after. I do hope you people had a lovely day yesterday, and happy birthday to your husband.