“A treasure”

Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Jasper
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The setting for the lodge is just beautiful, with mountains, forest, lakes, quaint bungalows, and cozy main lodge. Really you have to see it for yourself to appreciate all the rustic charm, character and history. Best of all, it does not seem crowded like some of the hotels and lodges in the mountains. The property is large, well-treed and I did see elk roaming about--very exciting. The room I stayed in was part of a "motel-type" outer building and had its own front and back door with its own private little patio. The room was charming with lots of unique rustic features and extremely comfortable bed. The bathroom was tiny but clean and well-appointed. It was very warm in my room but the windows opened to allow fresh, invigorating mountain air in. All the amentities of a classy hotel chain - excellent amentities, service and food. The spa was very busy when I was there so could not enjoy it - a little expensive but I heard worth it. Even though it was snowing and below zero, the outdoor pool was warm enough to swim in - imagine the steam rising and clearing to allow for a view of the mountains, stars and sky! I love this place and if I could afford to, I would go here much more often.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Calder_Girl

Reviewed 27 February 2012

This is a beautiful hotel made up of a main building containing reception, restaurants and bars and shops, the pool and other recreation facilities. The accommodation is arranged in clusters around the main building. A courtesy car will deliver you to your room if required and a good idea if you have lots of bags. The rooms we had were a king and a double/double. The king bed was huge - 2 metres wide and so comfortable with feather pillows. A large flat screen TV and a Table with 2 chairs. The bathroom was a good size and the towels were soft and fluffy. A coffee machine and electric jug were provided along with tea and coffee supplies. It is worth joining the Fairmont Presidents Club before your stay as this entitles you to complimentary wi-fi and gym access (and other things) while you are there (it s free to join).
There is a huge lounge area in the main building with a roaring fire and a grand piano and various seating clusters. You can order a drink and just kick back and check your emails or read a book. Customer focus appears to be high on their list of priorities and it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Karen B
FairmontJPL, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Thank you for your review PerthKarmon! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge. Thank you also for reminding our guests about our Fairmont President's Club, which is free to join and full of benefits. Complimentary Wi-Fi, a personalized portfolio and access to fitness gear are just a few of the great reasons to become a member. Looking forward to seeing you back again! Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

The room was tired but very spacious! The staff were as efficient as any Fairmont! The main thing I would suggest is bring your own car ... The lodge is 7klms from town and the hotel does not offer a shuttle service, so it is very hard to get there. The local taxi is a fixed price which is not very reasonable at all!
Also be aware that there is a heated outside pool that was not very hot when we were there. There is no hot tub to soothe your tired muscles after a day on the slopes!!!
The hotel charges $20 pp return to the mountain for skiing, however, if you were staying in town your transfers would be free courtesy of the Marmot Basin ski fields!!
Overall the experience was good, but it would have been nice to know some of these details before we got there ...

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Ok, we are Presidents Club members who almost always stay at a Fairmont when traveling and when we do, we always stay on the Gold Floor with a separate room for our 3 kids. We decided to visit Jasper for the first time and take the children skiing during their school break. Over all the experience was great, but the next time we ski with the kids, it will be at the Fairmont in Lake Louise.

You really need to have a clear understanding of what to expect to enjoy it and be able to relax and unwind and enjoy the spectacular wilderness.

The Room:
We booked a Lake Front Jacuzzi suite with a fireplace and a separate bedroom, living room and dining area. It would have been perfect if it was just my husband and I. But with three kids, it was awful! The 'separate' bedroom was just closed off with wooden blinds, so there was no privacy. We asked for a larger cabin or room, but none were available. It would have been fine with us if we understood clearly what we were getting - and as well-behaved as our children are - five days sleeping in one room together with no privacy is not relaxing! Lol

The bathroom was lovely however. The room itself was dated, I would call it rustic. There were dead bugs inside the glass of the framed prints In the room and a moth landed in my hair the first night. But I found I liked the rustic feel - it made our stay in the park seem that much more authentic and the kids loved it.

The Amazing:
The wildlife and the views! Wow! What an experience to share with your family! Each morning we saw Elk right outside our door. It was quiet and relaxing and you just get a sense of peacefulness there. For a busy family like ours, it was refreshing to slow down and spend time together.

The Service:
Although our room was rustic and not quite what we expected, the service was outstanding. When we arrived, I was surprised to find that we were on the other side of the grounds. Although they didn't have to, the bellman drove ahead of us to show us our cabin and assisted us with all our luggage. They even had gifts of toys for the kids which was a thoughtful touch.

The Food:
I'm not a big eater, but the food was delicious! We ordered room service for the kids and it was perfect! Mostly fruit and veggie trays and pizza. They even called to give us a heads up that the pizza would take 5 minutes longer than they had originally estimated. The brunch in the main lodge was outstanding! They brought our youngest son (who has a severe nut allergy) freshly prepared waffles and fruit with yogurt which he devoured. Our older girls went back for seconds of the perfectly prepared bacon and French toast which they put fresh berry cream cheese on. Later, my husband and I had dinner at Cavell's and it made for a wonderful date night. The wine menu was to die for! The service was excellent. I had veal checks which were divine!

One note - some of the other reviewers have commented on the prices of the food. It turns out it was less expensive to order the pizza from in-room dining than the pizza place in town - and you do get what you pay for. The food wasn't cheap - but it was fresh and delicious!

Although we planned to, we didn't wind up using the spa - but we did take the kids to the pool area. You really, REALLY need to know what to expect in this area. The pool is outdoors! They claimed it was heated to 96 degrees. Not a chance! My youngest turned blue and I had to heat him up with towels and we put on our winter gear while my tougher daughters happily stayed in the pool for over an hour. Although I was happy with our stay overall - the freezing pool and the lack of a hot tub were almost deal breakers for me! So be prepared! As long as you know upfront that there is no hot tub to relax in and that the pool is outside - you won't be disappointed. And if you are thinking that your kids will pass some time swimming - think again - its just too cold!!

The exercise room is very small, with almost no weights - so as long as all you want to do is some cardio it's ok. But a real gym like the other Fairmont properties - it's not! The Lodge also has a kids room with toys, computers and a giant chalkboard. There was even a kinect for the kids and my husband and I played pool as well. The shopping was also nice - with a boutique offering some really great Canadian designers. I love being able to buy Canadian!!!!

All in all, it was a pleasant week and we will go back for a stay here again - but in the late spring or early fall. There is no air conditioning, so high summer would be a no for us! As a winter ski getaway, I would go again - but without kids, there just isn't enough things to do for them - even with the cool kids area.

The scenery, the feeling of being remote, the outstanding service at the Fairmont Jasper and quiet time with our family all made it a lovely visit and we'd recommend it as long as people know what to expect! It's truly a Lodge - not a resort :)

• Stayed: February 2012
4  Thank PeanutFreeMom

Thank you for your detailed review, PeanutFreeMom. We are so glad you were able to relax with your family at The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and I'm positive your comments will be helpful to other families planning their vacations. Please accept our apologies for the temperature of the pool during your stay - during the winter, the pool is heated to 90 degrees F, but extreme weather conditions (including high wind and very low temps) can affect the consistency of the pool temperature. We look forward to welcoming you back in the Spring. Sincerely, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge

Reviewed 25 February 2012

We spent the recent long Family weekend at the lodge and we liked it there. It's certainly a bit funkier and older than what you might expect from your typical Fairmont property, but that added to it's charm for us.
We booked a special weekend package that shaved about $100 off the nightly rate. At that level the lodge is reasonably priced. At their stated prices it's not.
Food in the lounge upstairs was just ok. I had the bison burger which was very average and my wife had a chicken soup that tasted like beef buillon. If you want to eat well go to the Cavell restaurant downstairs (reservations required). The scallop appetizer, the lamb osso bucco and the surf and turf all were fantastic.

Please also note that the lodge is well outside Jasper, about 5km away from town. So unlike from some of the other hotels in Jasper you can't just walk into town to go out for dinner or a beer.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple