“Beautiful and comfortable restaurant, hit and miss service, bad server training, declining portions, good taste”
Review of Soto

Soto
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2017

When this opened in Grande Prairie it was my favorite restaurant, it is beautiful inside, comfortable, and even though it was more expensive than other sushi restaurants the portions were big and the taste was fresh. Right from the start the service was spotty at best, and it is due to bad training because it never changes, but being in Grande Prairie for so many years i have almost become numb to bad service. Mostly they are weird when it comes to bringing you the bill, they bring it and shove the debit machine in your face as if to say "pay and leave now" Now I know this happens more and more frequently in the age of people being in a hurry and we as people using debit and credit cards instead of cash, but this place is the worst, I guess it was because one time they server came and read the amount "That will be $54.12, how would you like to pay." I laughed, I was treating someone to a meal, it was a bit awkward, if I am treating someone, I want them to enjoy the meal and not think about the price or money, it is a secret thing, not a big secret, most people are cognizant of the prices on the menu, I get that. But don't stand there and say "that will be $54, here is the machine..." Hmmmm that doesn't make me feel like I am a customer, it makes me feel like I am a number..... anyways, go enjoy the food, do not expect good service and you will not be disappointed. Side note, last time we went there, my wife ordered a dish she has ordered on many occasions, ginger chicken bento box, they brought her something diferent in the bento box and didnt care they got it wrong and wouldn't switch it to what she ordered, but instead said they changed the recipe, I was livid, but my wife didn't want me to make a scene so I bit my tongue, sighhhhh oh well... go at your own peril lol

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

We both had sushi - it was alright. Definitely nothing to rant or rave about. Our service was absolutely horrendous. Our server paid no attention to us whatsoever. And it wasn't busy. We were the only table we saw her serve while we there, which leads us to believe we were her only customers! She should lose her job for her catty, rude attitude when I asked for a refill, and possibly reprimanded for ignoring her customers and making them ask another server for the bill. It's going to be a long time for us to get the poor taste out of our mouths for this place!

3  Thank Samantha J
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

I stopped by Soto for dinner while on business in early June 2017. The restaurant has two parts to it, on the left is the teppan style Japanese food that is great for mid sized groups, to the right is the traditional restaurant.

I was surprised at the size of the yam fries starter with mango, but it was really good. The sushi rolls were very tasty and interesting. They do have the traditional type of sushi rolls you see in most restaurants, but they do have many interesting sushi rolls on the menu that I have not seen anywhere else.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Large selection of dishes, very good quality and superb presentation of the food. Absolutely delicious.

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Was a quick in and out with some
Guys from work, some had never had sushi and were Leary, they really enjoyed that the menu had pictures. Anyways, we all left very satisfied, food was amazing, service just as good. Price is almost to cheap for how good the food is. Can't go wrong with a Teppanyaki Grill either!! Thanks Soto!!