“Simply perfection!”
Review of Jack's BBQ Express

Jack's BBQ Express
Ranked #76 of 148 Restaurants in Fort McMurray
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Great food, great service, a great time!
If your in the mood for smoked meat or a late morning breakfast then make your way downtown and bring your tastebuds.

Best little joint in town.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I decided to pop in before heading out to see a movie. A few other families were scattered about so they didn’t seem very busy. We were told to sit ourselves so we grabbed a booth just off the bar near the entrance.

After about 10 minutes without being acknowledged I went to ask a staff member for a menu for my wife and I. She promptly apologized and got us a menu. She handed them to us and apologized once again explaining the shift change situation and the fact that she’s new (which we appreciated).

A new server came to take our order and seem surprised that we had been served water. Perhaps she was tired but we had trouble communicating with her. She seemed very confused about our presence (I know that seems odd to say).

I asked what kind of beer they served and she incorrectly responded “almost everything...besides the really fancy fancy stuff”. This of course was absolutely no help whatsoever so she offered to grab me the liquor menu to which of course I agreed.

Another 10 minutes or so went by before we got the menu and she asked asked if we were sitting here for a long time waiting. We were honest and told her about the lengthy wait.

I ordered a Stella (pretty standard if they carry EVERYTHING...turns out that was too “fancy” because they were out). I ordered a Heineken instead because at least Heineken is always reliable and consistent. My wife feeling sick of the snow ordered a piña colada and we were told there was a “small problem with the order”, not really sure what the problem was but she eventually was given the drink.

The food was...ok. It was generic and arrived within two minutes. Seems as if it had been sitting around for a while.

First time...last time.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Wow, I visited this place yesterday for the first time and I have never been so disgusted with a meal and service in my life. We ordered the 3 meat & 3 sides to share.

Server:

Not knowledge about the menu and wasn’t able to speak into the portion sizes. We were considering a sandwich vs the 3 & 3 to share. It was extremely frustrating as she didn’t answer the question on plate size or portions.

We decided on the 3 & 3 only to find out that they were out of beef brisket. We were only looking for beef brisket and ribs so this would have even nice to know upon getting the menus that they were out.

When asked what were the restaurants favourites or what they would be known for she had a blank stare. I was shocked that she was not able to speak into the food she was offering. Not even how they ensure the food taste great or the process because I was so eager to try the place.

Food was dropped off and never returned to ask about drink refills or if we enjoyed the food. It was clear we didn’t because we only had one bone of the ribs and a few forks of the pulled pork.

We packed up the food and gave it to the dog.

We choose the pulled pork and the ribs to share. Two orders are of the pulled pork.

Food:

Ribs - I actually asked if they were made today as they were so dry and tasteless.

There was absolutely zero flavour. It made sense why she asked do you want a side BBQ sauce on the side.

When she didn’t specific what the sauce was for I got concerned. Sadly, we had already ordered by this time.

Pulled Pork - moist and not dry. However, it tasted plain and felt very heavy as it appears all the fat was just chopped up and mixed into the meat.

Poutine - standard store purchased gravy which was just ok.

BBQ Sauce was very runny and not thick like you would expect with ribs or pulled pork. The sauce tasted like it was watered down with no punch.

Menu - no photos and appears majority of the menus is breakfast food.

Lastly, the menu states choose from sides to go with your meal. I was surprised that all sides were included such as a poutine. We asked twice about if all sides were included and we were told twice yes.

Our billed had additional charges of $4 for each poutine and $3 for the onion rings which are not cooked through out and the batter was doughy inside.

My first clue should have been that it was empty beside one other table.

Once I see many reviews stating otherwise I will not be back. Not worth the $70 we paid.

Another typical over priced wanna be restaurant.

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Decided to try out Jack’s , the restaurant was very clean . The service we recieved was very good and very fast, the waitress had great knowledge of the food , and was very friendly and always available. We started out with their chicken wings (hot) , and they were very tasty!! Crispy outside and still juicy in middle. Than we decided on Jacks date from menu which lets you have three choices of meat, and three sides which could easily feed 3 people. The beef ribs were done well with lots of bark , found them to be a lil tough. The beef brisket was done well and smoke flavour throughout and juicy. The pulled pork was also very good done perfectly. Coleslaw has heavy apple flavour and nice an creamy. Collargreens were very good!! Fries were done well and the gravy is very tasty. All in all was a very good experience , I would deffinately repeat another visit to Jack’s