“Good, but this needs a refresh”

Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #836 of 2,640 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Oliver
Reviewed 27 April 2018

I came in for lunch yesterday with a friend. We enjoyed lunch but this spot does need a refresh. It was not busy and the service was pleasant. The sushi was good.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

Shogun Japanese Restaurant has been in the same location as when it opened in 1983. It has one of the oldest pedigrees when it comes to serving Japanese cuisine in Edmonton, including being the first sushi bar in the city. And while I love sushi, we go to Shogun for teppanyaki.

Inside the restaurant you will find several tatami rooms, intimate tables and of course the teppan grills. There is a positive vibe throughout the restaurant.

They offer a full drink menu. We opted for a bottle a bottle of warm Sake to share for the table. The teppanyaki menu is pretty straight forward. The dishes are made with fresh and flavourful ingredients and light seasoning. You can choose from chicken, steak or shrimp, or go for a bigger combo that includes things like sukiyaki beef, lobster and scallops. The meal comes with a myriad of vegetables (i.e.: zucchini, mushrooms, bean sprouts), that are cooked alongside your main dish. It also comes with soup and salad to start, rice and two sauces.

My favourite item on the menu is the 8 oz. Shogun Steak, which is a New York cut that is grilled to perfection. I am also a big fan of the sauces that come with the meal and usually put them on everything.

The average price per person ranges from $25 for basic entrees, to just over $40 for the Shogun specials. Our bill for four people, including a bottle of Sake was about $130, which is very reasonable when compared to other teppanyaki restaurants.

The restaurant is open for lunch on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and daily for dinner until 9:30 on weekdays, 10:30 Friday and Saturday, and 8:30 Sunday. I recommend making a reservation since it is a popular spot for birthdays and other special occasions and usually fills up fast. There is a small parking lot and street parking available but might be limited given the location.

Reviewed 28 November 2016

we went there for an experience and got sticky carpet, lifting counters where you sit, mediocre food. the service was good but the was mediocre at best.

Reviewed 21 February 2016

Service was great. I enjoyed the shrimps, veggies and spring rolls were fab.
The steak I had was hard with fat and I did not like it, the atmosphere was great

Reviewed 31 January 2016 via mobile

I always come here when I want Japanese food. The food has lots of flavour. I always sit at the Teppanyaki table and enjoy the experience.